Premed 101 Forums

Residency Visa Situation

Hi

I am thinking of applying and going to a US med school next cycle or two and wondering how difficult it is to get a H1B visa for residencies a non US citizen AMG? I heard H1B is most ideal, with J1 visas having issues with a 2 year leave policy. Thinking of going to Wayne State, so if any Canadian AMGs have any info about Michigan's/any state H1B situation that would be great!

56 minutes ago, Medase said:

Hi

I am thinking of applying and going to a US med school next cycle or two and wondering how difficult it is to get a H1B visa for residencies a non US citizen AMG? I heard H1B is most ideal, with J1 visas having issues with a 2 year leave policy. Thinking of going to Wayne State, so if anyone has any info about Michigan's H1B situation that would be great!

It will depend on what residencies your applying to.  You'll be able to do your PGY1 year on your F1-OPTI visa anyways. Many are able to get H1Bs as AMGs, many just go on the J1 and return back anyways.   Theres also border towns that you can live in Canada, but then work in the US if that's something you're interested in etc.

5 minutes ago, JohnGrisham said:

It will depend on what residencies your applying to.  You'll be able to do your PGY1 year on your F1-OPTI visa anyways. Many are able to get H1Bs as AMGs, many just go on the J1 and return back anyways.   Theres also border towns that you can live in Canada, but then work in the US if that's something you're interested in etc.

I'm looking into emerg, gen surg, or other surgical specialties, if graduate from a US medical school. Not trying to get a J1 and return back, so hoping the H1B prospects are still high nowadays.

36 minutes ago, Medase said:

I'm looking into emerg, gen surg, or other surgical specialties, if graduate from a US medical school. Not trying to get a J1 and return back, so hoping the H1B prospects are still high nowadays.

I'd look into the various J1-waiver programs as well. Generally if there's a will, there's a way.. but nothing is a gaurantee of course.  
I'm sure if you're a strong applicant by that stage, you will be able to find a program that will give you an H1B.  It's just a bit too early to say one way or another for sure. Generally yes, people are still getting H1B.

• 2 months later...

It’s going to get tougher to get US visas, at least in the short-term.

https://www.axios.com/immigration-ban-h1b-visa-coronavirus-trump-8202a261-756b-4363-97cc-584c1909d686.html

Details: In addition to H-1B visas often relied on by big U.S. tech companies, the restrictions on entry will also affect visas for H-1B spouses, non-agriculture worker H-2Bs visas, short-term workers on J-1 exchange visas, and L visas, which allow companies to transfer employees working overseas to U.S. offices.

• The new restrictions will go into effect at 12:01am on Wednesday, June 24. They will remain in place through the end of the year, which will likely prevent many new H-1B visa workers outside of the country from entering the U.S. 
  • Certain foreign workers involved in the food supply chain will be exempt from the ban, along with college and university professors. The medical worker exemption in the April restrictions was narrowed to exempt only those coming in to work on COVID-19 care or research, the official said. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2020 at 10:22 PM, indefatigable said:

It’s going to get tougher to get US visas, at least in the short-term.

https://www.axios.com/immigration-ban-h1b-visa-coronavirus-trump-8202a261-756b-4363-97cc-584c1909d686.html

Details: In addition to H-1B visas often relied on by big U.S. tech companies, the restrictions on entry will also affect visas for H-1B spouses, non-agriculture worker H-2Bs visas, short-term workers on J-1 exchange visas, and L visas, which allow companies to transfer employees working overseas to U.S. offices.

• The new restrictions will go into effect at 12:01am on Wednesday, June 24. They will remain in place through the end of the year, which will likely prevent many new H-1B visa workers outside of the country from entering the U.S. 
  • Certain foreign workers involved in the food supply chain will be exempt from the ban, along with college and university professors. The medical worker exemption in the April restrictions was narrowed to exempt only those coming in to work on COVID-19 care or research, the official said. 

I believe health care workers are exempt from these new restrictions on H1bs and J1s. 
The H1b visa is most ideal if you want to stay here and want much more choices on where you want to work after residency. It’s still doable to get this from a residency program. I went to Wayne state SOM and there were at least a couple of institutions who were giving thus in the Detroit area. 

If hypothetically you cant get the H1b or the residency program you want to go to does not offer it, the J1 option is still a decent fall back option. It can limit your options geographically speaking in the sense that you have to work in the J1 waiver (underserved) areas for 3 years.   The TN visa is also something I hear about for some.

I don’t know of anyone who was not able to find some type of visa to stay here and work as a physician after residency. 

21 hours ago, Neuro-phys said:

I believe health care workers are exempt from these new restrictions on H1bs and J1s. 
The H1b visa is most ideal if you want to stay here and want much more choices on where you want to work after residency. It’s still doable to get this from a residency program. I went to Wayne state SOM and there were at least a couple of institutions who were giving thus in the Detroit area. 

If hypothetically you cant get the H1b or the residency program you want to go to does not offer it, the J1 option is still a decent fall back option. It can limit your options geographically speaking in the sense that you have to work in the J1 waiver (underserved) areas for 3 years.   The TN visa is also something I hear about for some.

I don’t know of anyone who was not able to find some type of visa to stay here and work as a physician after residency. 

That's the way it normally is - unfortunately, normal processing has been suspended for both J-1 and H1b (I bolded part of the previous post).  

The AMA is aware of the situation and seems to be advocating for IMGs who make up about 30% of the resident workforce.  It may be some J-1 visas still get processed, but I think ultimately the biggest determinant will be whether there is a new administration in January of next year.  

https://www.ama-assn.org/education/international-medical-education/why-img-physicians-are-vital-us-health-security