Premed 101 Forums

Discussions - Final Decisions 2020

Here’s a little neurotic premed research by yours truly. 

UofA Decision dates for the past 8 years:

2019 - May 13

2018 - April 23

2017 - May 4

2016 - May 5

2015 - May 4

2014 - May 15

2013 - May 15

2012 - May 15

I would have guessed May 4-5th for this year as well but who knows, with COVID-19 making things unpredictable.

Have they notified applicants in the past of the expected release date of decisions?

17 hours ago, RiderSx said:

Have they notified applicants in the past of the expected release date of decisions?

Both in 2018 and 2019 they didn't really give any notice. In fact, the results were available on the admissions portal before the email was even sent out  saying that decisions had been made (maybe by an hour or two).

28 minutes ago, Animo said:

Both in 2018 and 2019 they didn't really give any notice. In fact, the results were available on the admissions portal before the email was even sent out  saying that decisions had been made (maybe by an hour or two).

Probably a dumb question, but was this on Bear Tracks or the Secondary Med Application? I have no idea where I should be (obsessively) checking...

7 minutes ago, premed828 said:

In 2018, they posted a notice on the secondary med page saying that the decisions would be completed that week and they were sent out that week too!

Also, do you know why/how the admissions were released so early that year?

Thank you for the info!! I will now start obsessively checking the secondary med page for any updates. 

6 hours ago, Animo said:

So just for the record, you don't get an email saying "you got in!" but instead you get an email which says "check the admissions portal" without saying the result?

4 hours ago, ballsortahard said:

So just for the record, you don't get an email saying "you got in!" but instead you get an email which says "check the admissions portal" without saying the result?

That's correct. It just says that a decision has been made and they direct you to the Secondary Medicine Application for results. You have to go to the "Documents" section to see the decision letter. That's how it's gone the last two years, so I suppose that's probably going to be the same again

7 minutes ago, Animo said:

That's correct. It just says that a decision has been made and they direct you to the Secondary Medicine Application for results. You have to go to the "Documents" section to see the decision letter. That's how it's gone the last two years, so I suppose that's probably going to be the same again

That's lowkey almost more nerve wracking...I get to nearly throw up when I get the email notification and then AGAIN when I look on the application. Nice.

53 minutes ago, theevilsloth said:

Does anyone have thoughts as to how many total OOP acceptances are given, including offers rejected? I would imagine OOP WL moves relatively more than the IP WL, but does anyone know if the actual stats are available?  

Here is a link to the AMFC admissions statistics from previous years!  It provides a fairly comprehensive overview of the schools admissions numbers which might help 

https://afmc.ca/sites/default/files/pdf/2020_admission-requirements_EN.pdf

10 minutes ago, YesIcan55 said:

Therefore, there could be either 1 male, 8 females OOP (9 total OOP/162 total students = 5.5% OOP) or 2 males, 16 females OOP (18 total OOP/162 students = 11.1% OOP). It is not possible that there were 3 males, 24 females OOP since that would mean there are 27 total OOP/162 total students = 16.7% OOP which would exceed the 15% OOP cap.

This is a 1:7 ratio, not a 1:8 ratio. We know that 12.5% of the class is male and 87.5% of the class is female. This corresponds to 3/24 male (12.5%), and 21/24 female (87.5%).

From the AFMC we know total number of applicants = 1584, total number of offers (accepted, declined, deffered) = 220, and we know the success rate by IP/OOP/Total. Using this, you can figure out that the total number of offers given IP was 163, and the total number of offers given OOP was 57. 

Just now, YesIcan55 said:

lol no....1/8 = 12.5%. Second of all, 3 males and 24 females is not possible since that is 27 total OOP/162 students = 16.7% OOP, and the absolute max is 15% OOP. Therefore, it must be 2 males, and 16 females OOP = 18 total OOP / 162 total students = 11.1% of the last class was OOP.

The website says that for the class of 2023, 87.5% of the OOP class was female and 12.5% of the OOP class was male.

# Male OOP in the class = (0.125)(24) = 3

# Female OOP in the class = (0.875)(24) =21

3:21 is a 1:7 ratio. 

We know that 85% of the class is for IP acceptances, so a max of 15% is for OOP acceptances. 15% of 162 is 24.3, so 24 spots for OOP would fall just under the 15% threshold