Premed 101 Forums

Will residency be postponed?

I am an incoming IM R1 starting this July.

Any news on if residency will be postponed? I haven't heard anything from the PGME but heard through rumours that residency start date in McGill and Ontario will be delayed because of how bad it is there right now. Wanted to check if anyone else has heard anything. 

Thanks!

On 4/22/2020 at 7:58 PM, ellorie said:

I honestly doubt it, because graduating PGY5s are still graduating, so everyone will need to move up, and therefore new residents will be needed to fill the call pools.

This may not be the case... according to fellows at my old program, there is talk about extending PGY5 by a month or two to make up for lost procedures. Haven't heard anything official yet so just rumors at this time.

1 hour ago, The Ace of Spades said:

This may not be the case... according to fellows at my old program, there is talk about extending PGY5 by a month or two to make up for lost procedures. Haven't heard anything official yet so just rumors at this time.

Would be specialty dependent though based on how much training has been disrupted.  Wouldn't be holding people back on a wide scale to provide service, would be to make up lost training time for those individuals who have been affected.

In my specialty every PGY5 resident I know is continuing to work, and those who lost rotations have been redeployed on service.

9 hours ago, The Ace of Spades said:

I'd be pretty surprised if there was any widespread extension of PGY5. Many people have fellowships/jobs lined up. Don't most people have fairly light rotations/expectations the last few months of residency anyway, to prepare for exams?