Premed 101 Forums

OSAP for Quebec Residents

I am a Quebec resident, and I recently realized that medical studies outside Quebec are not eligible for government financial aid. What options are available for students in my situation? Would it be possible to become an Ontario resident in that case and apply for OSAP (or at least get the federal aid portion)? I am wondering if anyone was in the same boat. I would appreciate any assistance! 

1 minute ago, YesIcan55 said:

just curious why anyone would need to take loans from the government/OSAP/etc when banks give you a LOC $350K upfront..??

OSAP gives you grants that you don't have to pay back, as well as a loan.

And from my understanding, the loans from OSAP have no interest until you graduate / finish but LOC has interest throughout your studies. 

2 minutes ago, theinbetween said:

OSAP gives you grants that you don't have to pay back, as well as a loan.

And from my understanding, the loans from OSAP have no interest until you graduate / finish but LOC has interest throughout your studies. 

Exactly. Moreover, with a LOC you'll accumulate a lot of interest over the years so it really should be considered a last resort 

Yes, become an Ontario resident, change your Driver’s Licence, registration of your car, join up with OHIP, notifying La Régie, give change of address to your banks, etc., file income tax return with CRA only, not Quebec, deal with the same bank but with a branch in Ontario.

4 minutes ago, Bambi said:

Yes, become an Ontario resident, change your Driver’s Licence, registration of your car, join up with OHIP, notifying La Régie, give change of address to your banks, etc., file income tax return with CRA only, not Quebec, deal with the same bank but with a branch in Ontario.

Thank you for your response. That was my thought initially, but then I saw that in order to apply for OSAP, you must "have Ontario residency, that is, have lived in Ontario for at least 12 consecutive months without attending full-time postsecondary school."

I know you can do the above to become an Ontario resident, but I am not sure if that alone would allow me to apply for OSAP... 

Yeah that's odd - If one is a Quebec resident and is admitted to a medical undergrad program in Ontario, would you even be able to transfer residency? Or would it be like most other undergrads where you're not eligible for residency in your province of study unless you're working X amount of hours/not engaged in full-time studies?

I think that you can still be eligible for Québec financial aid if you study out of province (http://www.afe.gouv.qc.ca/en/loans-and-bursariesfull-time-studies/applying-for-financial-assistance/). You can still be deemed to reside in Québec even if you don't physically live there (full list at http://www.afe.gouv.qc.ca/en/loans-and-bursariesfull-time-studies/loans-and-bursaries-program/eligibility-requirements/deemed-to-reside-in-quebec/). 

I think you have to apply through your home province. OSAP won't be available to you. OSAP is for Ontario students. To be eligible for OSAP, you'd have to live here for 12 months without attending post-secondary school. I'm pretty sure if I went to Alberta for school, I would still get my loans through OSAP as I would be an Ontario resident, not Albertan. 

Stop trying to mooch off of Ontario and Ontario taxpayers. We pay for OSAP for OUR kids. Not Quebec's kids.

@takasugi.... This person was simply trying to understand what options are available to help fund his/her medical education. Nothing wrong with trying to legally gain status in a different province for better financial outlooks, or at least inquire...

That was a bit rude and insensitive to think someone's trying to "mooch off another province".

6 hours ago, RaptorsFan123 said:

@takasugi.... This person was simply trying to understand what options are available to help fund his/her medical education. Nothing wrong with trying to legally gain status in a different province for better financial outlooks, or at least inquire...

That was a bit rude and insensitive to think someone's trying to "mooch off another province".

An understanding of politics and economics is important in being an effective citizen, let alone a physician. Medicine isn't just science + empathy.

12 hours ago, Sunshine! said:

I think that you can still be eligible for Québec financial aid if you study out of province (http://www.afe.gouv.qc.ca/en/loans-and-bursariesfull-time-studies/applying-for-financial-assistance/). You can still be deemed to reside in Québec even if you don't physically live there (full list at http://www.afe.gouv.qc.ca/en/loans-and-bursariesfull-time-studies/loans-and-bursaries-program/eligibility-requirements/deemed-to-reside-in-quebec/). 

Thank you ! You are right, except that this unfortunately does not apply to studying medicine outside Quebec (this is mentioned within specific eligible program requirements on the AFE website, and it also mentioned here on U of T's website under "Information specific to Quebec residents": https://md.utoronto.ca/financial-aid). 

So it honestly worries me that I won't be eligible for any government financial aid (from QC or ON). 

4 hours ago, Metruv said:

An understanding of politics and economics is important in being an effective citizen, let alone a physician. Medicine isn't just science + empathy.

3 hours ago, RaptorsFan123 said:

Agreed! I would also hope it includes remaining objective and refraining from passing judgement without convincing evidence. :) 

Couldn't agree more :)

On 4/28/2020 at 10:48 AM, takasugi said:

I think you have to apply through your home province. OSAP won't be available to you. OSAP is for Ontario students. To be eligible for OSAP, you'd have to live here for 12 months without attending post-secondary school. I'm pretty sure if I went to Alberta for school, I would still get my loans through OSAP as I would be an Ontario resident, not Albertan. 

Stop trying to mooch off of Ontario and Ontario taxpayers. We pay for OSAP for OUR kids. Not Quebec's kids.

ha that is a bit harsh - I mean if you are living in Ontario for 4 years, paying massive tuition to a Ontario school, living here/buying all your stuff here, and not unlikely will actually be doing residency etc in Ontario (as odds are higher to get a residency closer to where you did residency) at what point are they actually "Ontario" enough to be here? I know people that honestly move permanently to Ontario from wherever and for 7+ years I suppose still weren't considered to be from there. 

I always found all these rules about residency very arbitrary to be honest. I am paying quite the sum in taxes to Ontario right now - I don't even live in Canada as I am away on fellowship. 

I get that schooling is a provincial responsibility. I think think for the most part the various student loan programs etc, should probably be very much the same across all countries. 

On 4/28/2020 at 10:09 PM, unreal said:

Thank you ! You are right, except that this unfortunately does not apply to studying medicine outside Quebec (this is mentioned within specific eligible program requirements on the AFE website, and it also mentioned here on U of T's website under "Information specific to Quebec residents": https://md.utoronto.ca/financial-aid). 

So it honestly worries me that I won't be eligible for any government financial aid (from QC or ON). 

Yeah that is annoying - you can deal with it of course re the usual loans but still.