Premed 101 Forums

Your extracurriculars look amazing. Your GPA is a bit on the lower side, however, UCalgary puts a high emphasis on extracurriculars and how well you write your top 10s. I think you have a good chance, but I would suggest either rewriting your MCAT and getting a higher score, or doing something else to increase your GPA like another year, another undergrad, or masters, since people who usually get Md/PhD interviews have a really high GPA. If your GPA is 3.85 omitting this Winter 2020 semester, then I do not think it’s too low and it is still competitive. I would encourage rewriting the MCAT though if you could, and also making your ECs even more impactful and writing your top 10s very well.    

23 hours ago, tryingtoohard said:

Your extracurriculars look amazing. Your GPA is a bit on the lower side, however, UCalgary puts a high emphasis on extracurriculars and how well you write your top 10s. I think you have a good chance, but I would suggest either rewriting your MCAT and getting a higher score, or doing something else to increase your GPA like another year, another undergrad, or masters, since people who usually get Md/PhD interviews have a really high GPA. If your GPA is 3.85 omitting this Winter 2020 semester, then I do not think it’s too low and it is still competitive. I would encourage rewriting the MCAT though if you could, and also making your ECs even more impactful and writing your top 10s very well.    

3.85 gpa 

lower side

hahahahahahahahahahahhahaah

I definitely think you should apply. Don't let the budget cuts and guaranteed interviews scare you off at all because as Dr. Remo mentioned on the blog, there will only be a handful of people taking advantage of the guaranteed interview next year. Many of them will either get into a school (Calgary or elsewhere), or they would have gotten an interview by reapplying anyway. What's even better is that if someone does take up their guaranteed interview spot despite lower file review scores, they would need to preform substantially better on the interview to actually get in. Everyone else who got an interview in the traditional way has an edge up due to higher pre-MMI scores (which is half of the final score). 

Your experiences seem great, good luck :)