Premed 101 Forums

Queens PT Accreditation

User @PTT gave a great response to a similar question I'd had in this past thread, and offered to provide more advice if I had questions. 

Edit: Another user had PMd me about that thread and said this:

"How the probationary accreditation status has affected our year so far:

- Our curriculum has changed slightly; they have consolidated a few classes for more "flow" in the material, and have added some more case based learning components

- They have added some more study spaces to the health sciences building, specific for OT/PT students

Honestly, otherwise, that's about it."

Since that thread, I've been in touch with another current Queen's PT student (separate from either of the users mentioned above), who advised me that (quote) "the [Queen's] PT program is a mess." The following messages come from a screenshot of a conversation we had over Facebook messenger:

image.png.94c0ea88b28a3b5453dba53bff86ee79.png

I won't identify this person, but I have good reason to trust them at their word! Of course take this with a grain of salt as well, this is only a single experience and hopefully other current Queen's students could chime in here. But personally, this information was huge in my personal decision to avoid Queen's (I've applied to Queen's, Western and Dal). I'm sure Queen's will iron things out in the near future, but I won't be around while they do.

In addition, Queen's has recently come under fire for the controversial firing of Cross Country and Track and Field head coach, Steve Boyd. It's a polarizing issue, but the long and short of it is that the university (not limited to the athletics department) has had its policies and values pertaining to free speech and student-athlete safety brought into question. I'm happy to discuss this more in a PM if anyone's interested! 

Hopefully you can find some useful information in all of this :)

Edited by jhall_88xc
Inserting more information

On 4/26/2020 at 8:21 AM, jhall_88xc said:

User @PTT gave a great response to a similar question I'd had in this past thread, and offered to provide more advice if I had questions. 

Edit: Another user had PMd me about that thread and said this:

"How the probationary accreditation status has affected our year so far:

- Our curriculum has changed slightly; they have consolidated a few classes for more "flow" in the material, and have added some more case based learning components

- They have added some more study spaces to the health sciences building, specific for OT/PT students

Honestly, otherwise, that's about it."

Since that thread, I've been in touch with another current Queen's PT student (separate from either of the users mentioned above), who advised me that (quote) "the [Queen's] PT program is a mess." The following messages come from a screenshot of a conversation we had over Facebook messenger:

image.png.94c0ea88b28a3b5453dba53bff86ee79.png

I won't identify this person, but I have good reason to trust them at their word! Of course take this with a grain of salt as well, this is only a single experience and hopefully other current Queen's students could chime in here. But personally, this information was huge in my personal decision to avoid Queen's (I've applied to Queen's, Western and Dal). I'm sure Queen's will iron things out in the near future, but I won't be around while they do.

In addition, Queen's has recently come under fire for the controversial firing of Cross Country and Track and Field head coach, Steve Boyd. It's a polarizing issue, but the long and short of it is that the university (not limited to the athletics department) has had its policies and values pertaining to free speech and student-athlete safety brought into question. I'm happy to discuss this more in a PM if anyone's interested! 

Hopefully you can find some useful information in all of this :)

Good info. I personally also will be steering clear of Queen's.

Thankful for the information! I had been emailing Kathy from the Physiotherapy Education Accreditation  Canada. She let me know this morning that they just changed the accreditation for Queens so now they are fully accredited! :) 

https://www.peac-aepc.ca/english/accreditation/programs-with-accreditation-status.php