Premed 101 Forums

Hi, I'm still in high school and I'm looking at which "premed" program to apply to next year that focuses on preparing students for medicine. I know that any program is good as long as you can get a good GPA and high MCAT scores, but are they any specific programs (in Canada) that gear specifically towards premed?

Thanks in advance!

It's could be a recipe to be pretty stressed out all the time, so I'd keep an eye on how much youre thinking about it. That said, it's much better than partying all first year, not caring about your grades, realizing you want med in 2nd year, and having to play catch-up because your grades were abysmal (which is a very common story). 

In terms of school choice, western med sci and mac health sci are the two most common and almost always make up the two biggest chunks of any med class in Ontario. The other theory people espouse for getting into med is by doing a similar biomed program at a smaller university (Guelph, Brock, Trent) because the admissions averages are lower (potentially easier to get high grades), classes are smaller (easier to get to know your profs for references and research), and students potentially aren't as keen (easier to be a leader on campus). I know a handful of people who went that route and it worked out for them as well.

Not sure if I actually answered your question, but hope that helps! Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any other questions.

14 hours ago, Galaxsci said:

It's could be a recipe to be pretty stressed out all the time, so I'd keep an eye on how much youre thinking about it. That said, it's much better than partying all first year, not caring about your grades, realizing you want med in 2nd year, and having to play catch-up because your grades were abysmal (which is a very common story). 

In terms of school choice, western med sci and mac health sci are the two most common and almost always make up the two biggest chunks of any med class in Ontario. The other theory people espouse for getting into med is by doing a similar biomed program at a smaller university (Guelph, Brock, Trent) because the admissions averages are lower (potentially easier to get high grades), classes are smaller (easier to get to know your profs for references and research), and students potentially aren't as keen (easier to be a leader on campus). I know a handful of people who went that route and it worked out for them as well.

Not sure if I actually answered your question, but hope that helps! Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any other questions.

That helps a lot, thanks for offering to help out! It means a lot to me.

1 hour ago, zxcccxz said:

I've heard that UofT Life Science is really easy and most students in it get into med school /s

Isn't there a stigma around UofT dropping GPAs? Or is there so mitigating things med schools do to even that out? I went on a tour of UofT and the guide, albeit informal, spoke quite poorly about how the professors drop the grades so dramatically, it's kind of spooked me since.

21 hours ago, L123456 said:

Isn't there a stigma around UofT dropping GPAs? Or is there so mitigating things med schools do to even that out? I went on a tour of UofT and the guide, albeit informal, spoke quite poorly about how the professors drop the grades so dramatically, it's kind of spooked me since.

Pretty sure that was sarcasm. Toronto life sci is brutal by all accounts I've heard 

21 hours ago, L123456 said:

yeah the /s means sarcasm... UofT tends to grade harshly in all programs, not just science degrees :\

On 4/29/2020 at 8:52 PM, L123456 said:

Hi, I'm still in high school and I'm looking at which "premed" program to apply to next year that focuses on preparing students for medicine. I know that any program is good as long as you can get a good GPA and high MCAT scores, but are they any specific programs (in Canada) that gear specifically towards premed?

Thanks in advance!

UofT life sci is hard.... its not impossible to do well, but with anything it depends on how hard you work, and I may be bias but uoft requires putting in a lot of work. So if you're someone who worked really hard in high school then I think you can thrive, if youre like normal and pulled off 80s/90s not trying super hard but decently hard you'd need to adjust your study habits. Pros and cons, life sci will make the MCAT easier for you to study for, but youll have to work harder for a high GPA. If you can get into Mac Health Sci thats medical school admissions gold. Its up to you in the end. Personally I would recommend what interests you. If you like all science in high school do life sci, if you didnt then dont do that...just prepare to study for the MCAT harder.