Premed 101 Forums

Medicine? Optometry? Dentistry?

Hey guys, I just finished my degree in psychology just now. I havent done any professional school admission test yet. I dont know which path is the best for me. I was always aiming for med school, but now Im considering the stressful aspects of it and how it will take a long time before I am in the field, especially if I want to specialize. I am considering optometry or even dentistry now. I cannot volunteer right now due to covid-19 situation to narrow my options. I plan on studying and applying to professional schools this summer so I can have a spot by next year. I have a good GPa. I just need solid advice. 

MY priorities are: making good $$, a health career where i can combine socializing with people and science, and decent hours (in canada).

ANY ADVICE IS APPRECIATED..... should i study for mcat? dat?oat? what are my options to stay safe?

I'm not going to question your waffling between careers, in part because I think a "Medicine (or any field) or bust" attitude is wrong, but I would suggest finding physicians, optometrists, dentists, etc... to talk to. That should help you find what you like. Each field has its own landscape as far as work. Medicine is probably the most flexible in working conditions, you can be a physician who operates like a dentist on a business side, but don't let the money be your primary consideration. If your primary goal is good money AND good hours rethinking Medicine is a good idea. Even if you're fortunate enough to match into a lifestyle residency the path is long and hard (or so every negative physician I've ever encountered has said)...

You also need to consider the competitiveness of the fields. I can really only speak to Medicine, but you're not being descriptive enough. What you think is a good GPA may not be. What are your ECs like? Etc... Also consider the tests. I've seen more than a few people wash out of Medicine/optometry/dentistry paths because they couldn't get past the admissions tests. The application deadlines are ticking closer if you haven't written the test(s) yet. 

Ultimately, none of of them is a safe option because all are competitive. Don't expect to get in anywhere competitive and plan accordingly with backups. 

So, the best thing you can do is talk to people in those fields and see what you'd be willing to do for the rest of your life. 

53 minutes ago, MedicineLCS said:

I'm not going to question your waffling between careers, in part because I think a "Medicine (or any field) or bust" attitude is wrong, but I would suggest finding physicians, optometrists, dentists, etc... to talk to. That should help you find what you like. Each field has its own landscape as far as work. Medicine is probably the most flexible in working conditions, you can be a physician who operates like a dentist on a business side, but don't let the money be your primary consideration. If your primary goal is good money AND good hours rethinking Medicine is a good idea. Even if you're fortunate enough to match into a lifestyle residency the path is long and hard (or so every negative physician I've ever encountered has said)...

You also need to consider the competitiveness of the fields. I can really only speak to Medicine, but you're not being descriptive enough. What you think is a good GPA may not be. What are your ECs like? Etc... Also consider the tests. I've seen more than a few people wash out of Medicine/optometry/dentistry paths because they couldn't get past the admissions tests. The application deadlines are ticking closer if you haven't written the test(s) yet. 

Ultimately, none of of them is a safe option because all are competitive. Don't expect to get in anywhere competitive and plan accordingly with backups. 

So, the best thing you can do is talk to people in those fields and see what you'd be willing to do for the rest of your life. 

Thanks for getting back to me! I understand my take on careers is not ideal, trust me I know. But I am trying to tackle it the best way I can or know how to, and that is assessing my potential options first and spending the year post the application to research the fields and make an informed decision. However, I do not want to waste any more years and get in as soon as I can, so I have to apply by the end of the summer. I am a hard worker, have great communication skills, have a "strong" heart so I can handle stressful scenes or work well under pressure. I love sciences, want a stable and good paying career with opportunities to expand. 

In terms of my CGPA it is somewhere higher than a 3.8, but I know that will differ depending on the schools I apply to. I have work experience in retail-related positions, tutoring (both work and volunteer experience) at the university I attended, and write for an online magazine. Research experience, I am conducting a research right now with a prof. Those are the main ones I would say. I have not shadowed though. I can fill that gap in the summer, but I dont know where Im aiming...

I know aiming towards one path is the best idea, but I have not made up my mind yet. So im not sure what to do...

I don't want to be that guy, but you definitely cannot guarantee an offer in your first application, regardless of your activities or grades.

And taking a look at your stats/experiences, while they are likely competitive, there are also lots of people with 4.0s and a plethora of extracurriculars that nonetheless get rejected.

If you have the time and money, and are confident in your ability to do well on multiple exams, go ahead and write those professional tests. But I think you are underestimating what it might take to get in.