Premed 101 Forums

OOP applicant percentage grade

Hey everybody! I am thinking of applying to UBC med as an OOP,  and I just meet the percentage cutoff grade (86%). I have good ECs (research, long term volunteering, military service, global health) and a Masters degree. I was wondering what is considered to be a competitive percentage grade for an OOP applicant?

Absolutely agree with the comments mentioned above!  To answer your question, I do agree with @youbesee that typically successful OOP applicants have an average of 90%+.  But at the same time, definitely agree with @PremedToronto that you never really know where you stand until you apply.  As for GPA, it is what it is and you can't really change that (unless you are planning on taking more courses to potentially boost it).  So it comes down to your NAQ, which you can do more and more ECs to increase the probability of having a good score there.

Having said that though, I'd argue that a good portion of your NAQ score comes down to simply how you word your descriptions.  If you write a very decent application, you're more likely to score higher on NAQ despite having, say, "average" ECs.  But don't get me wrong, you need to have great ECs in order to write great descriptions about them.

Bottom line, don't lose hope if you're barely making the cut-off.  Put a lot of time on your application and write the best one you can, and then see what happens.

All the best!