Premed 101 Forums

McMaster Accepted/Waitlisted/Rejected 2019-2020

Result: Accepted

Timestamp: 8:05 am (stayed up all night waiting)

cGPA: 3.88

CARS: 131

CASPer: Got interviews at Dal and Manitoba (but not Ottawa) so presumably pretty good

Year: Finished bachelors in april 2019, took a gap year to apply

Geography: IP

No idea if I won the lottery or was in the top 100, so these stats might not necessarily correlate to success

Result: Accepted (Hamilton)!!!  :) 

Timestamp: 8:05am

cGPA: 3.89

CARS: 129

CASPer: I'm not sure since the score is never released, but personally feel this was likely a strong point in my application. I work in a job where I deal with "dilemmas" on the regular so I felt comfortable during the test. It likely made up for my 'meh' GPA. 

Year: 4th year UG

Button: No

Considering other offers and will be politely declining :) 

First time posting here, really excited about my offers since like many of you I've been dreaming of this for so long!

Result: Accepted (to Hamilton)

Timestamp: 8:03 AM

cGPA: 3.96

CARS: 130

CASPer: Practiced a lot and I felt good about it. Also got accepted to Ottawa, which I will be taking over McMaster after what they did with the lottery.

Year: 4th year undergrad

I'm grateful for the offer but I just can't accept it in good faith given how badly Mac's reputation has fallen as of late. I have some friends in med school and word spread pretty fast about the Mac 'lottery class' across multiple schools, it's not something I want to be known for (especially if it affects residency and how patients or doctors view me). I also feel like I earned Ottawa while Mac was just a coin toss.

On 5/8/2020 at 12:12 PM, William Osler said:

Result: Accepted, Hamilton campus 

Timestamp: 12:00am

cGPA: 4.0

CARS: 128

CASPer: felt pretty good about it, also interviewed at Ottawa

Year: 4th

Button: No

Will be accepting! Also accepted at Ottawa, but Mac has been my top school for a while now. Although it was unfortunate how the lottery system was handled, I believe in my abilities to kick butt in med school (as we all should!! Getting an interview alone was an enormous feat for us all) and ultimately I believe that the 3 year program is too good to pass up! Best of luck to everyone!! 

3 hours ago, Peanuts29 said:

I don't think that will be the case considering this year's "lottery" class will be the only one in all of Ontario and the only one during the most unprecedented pandemic in recent history will be that forgetful..... Also don't want to deal with the amount of imposer syndrome which that offer comes with  

Imposter syndrome will happen to medical students at any medical school. Most docs say they don't feel fully confident till 10 years in their practice...and this comes from docs from varying ontario schools and out of province...

In any case, best of luck on your journey. 

36 minutes ago, Butterfly_ said:

Imposter syndrome will happen to medical students at any medical school. Most docs say they don't feel fully confident till 10 years in their practice...and this comes from docs from varying ontario schools and out of province...

In any case, best of luck on your journey. 

Agreed but it (imposter syndrome) will be significantly worse for the lottery class knowing that people will always be gossiping behind their back from other schools when competing for residency

2 minutes ago, MedDragon said:

Up until this point, it looks like McMaster did not make any rejections. It is possible that McMaster put everyone on the waitlist so they don't get an influx of complaints from people being rejected during the lottery.

Yeah I think so too, has anyone got rejected yet?

1 minute ago, MedDragon said:

Up until this point, it looks like McMaster did not make any rejections. It is possible that McMaster put everyone on the waitlist so they don't get an influx of complaints from people being rejected during the lottery.

:( do you think there's a rejection list already made but they sent all emails out as waitlists so that people don't get mad... and then they'll just end up telling those people that they didn't make it off the waitlist (even though really they were rejections the whole time)? I don't trust anything mac says or does anymore 

3 minutes ago, Applicant95 said:

Does anyone know what the program codes on OMSAS stand for? Mine says MDR which I thought meant downtown (Hamilton) campus, but the email I received from them says Waterloo campus. It doesn't matter to me personally since I won't be accepting Mac's offer, but just curious.

MDR doesnt mean Hamilton apparently - Offer is correct in WRC

Thanks for declining the offer on behalf of the waitlist gang

2 hours ago, nowmed said:

Does anyone think the time stamp for waitlist could be alphabetical?  I received my waitlist at 08:14 and my last name starts with A

Interesting, maybe it has to do with ur placement on the list. I got mine at 8:17 with n starting my lastname 

Just now, reginageorge said:

:( do you think there's a rejection list already made but they sent all emails out as waitlists so that people don't get mad... and then they'll just end up telling those people that they didn't make it off the waitlist (even though really they were rejections the whole time)? I don't trust anything mac says or does anymore 

Of the lottery 450, all of us were randomly ordered already. The top 100 of the list were accepted and the middle 250 were waitlisted and the bottom 100 were rejected

They could certainly waitlist everyone - but they did say they would send rejections