Result: Accepted

Timestamp: 12:00 AM

cGPA: 3.95

CARS: 131

CASPer: felt ok

Year: 4th year

Geography: IP

Button: No

Will be declining for Western because of the terrible job McMaster has done with admissions this year and I don't want specialty/residency schools to look down upon me as being part of the "lottery" class in the future.

Good luck everyone else!

If specialty/residency directors look down upon you for this reason, you probably don't want to be apart of their judgmental and presumptuous program anyway.

I compiled a bit of the data. If those with unknown status are kind enough to let us know what they will be doing, it would be much appreciated

Accepting offer: 7
Rejecting offer: 4
Rejecting waitlist: 2
Accepted but unknown status: 14

----------------------------------------------
takasugi (Accepting offer)
short_stack (Accepting offer)
fingerscrossed2020 (Accepting offer)
Fakeabat (Accepting offer)
ancef (Accepting offer)
vmed88 (Accepting offer)
brattatat (Accepting offer)

Applicant95 (Declining offer)
Peanuts29 (Declining offer)
ready2go (Declining offer)
FinallyAccepted23 (Declining offer)

Psych (Accepted unknown)
Neuroresearch (Accepted unknown)
wolverine123 (Accepted unknown)
HeyMrSnowman (Accepted unknown)
LurkerUntilNow (Accepted unknown)
pureblue (Accepted unknown)
dontRme (Accepted unknown)
Toaster Strudel (Accepted unknown)
Yellow15 (Accepted unknown - waiting to get off Dal WL)
RejectedAgain (Accepted unknown)
Cloneable (Accepted unknown)
Alegobeh2 (Accepted unknown)
brokenwings (Accepted unknown)
DoctorSisyphus (Accepted unknown)

MD_Dream97 (Rejecting Waitlist)
TheStern (Rejecting Waitlist)

4 hours ago, inkbat said:

yessssss!!!! i’m so excited for you!

Thank you so much! Congrats on your acceptance too, and I see you have some WLs too. I hope to have you as a future classmate, but best of luck on those too. I hope you get all the acceptances so you have the freedom of selection. :wub: I'm gonna keep an eye out to see what you end up choosing!! so excited for you

Result: Waitlist

Timestamp: 8:15am (I hope this early = good)

cGPA: 3.93

CARS: 128

CASPer: Good? I also interviewed at Ottawa and people I know liked my style

Year: 3rd

Button: Yes

I'm also waitlisted at Ottawa but they specifically told me I'm in a bad place on the waitlist. So it's either Mac or finish 4th year at UofT. If you've got other schools you'd prefer, please decline Mac!!! (lol)

2 minutes ago, DidntSki said:

Result: Waitlist

Timestamp: 8:15am (I hope this early = good)

cGPA: 3.93

CARS: 128

CASPer: Good? I also interviewed at Ottawa and people I know liked my style

Year: 3rd

Button: Yes

I'm also waitlisted at Ottawa but they specifically told me I'm in a bad place on the waitlist. So it's either Mac or finish 4th year at UofT. If you've got other schools you'd prefer, please decline Mac!!! (lol)

The time stamp is based on last name, nothing more

Just now, DonutLover said:

The time stamp is based on last name, nothing more

I hope this is true because this is yet another thing people act neurotically about, lol. I'd rather wait and see than have false hope. The timing does seem to correlate with placement on Ottawa's waitlist based on another page, but I hate thinking about this

4 minutes ago, DidntSki said:

I hope this is true because this is yet another thing people act neurotically about, lol. I'd rather wait and see than have false hope. The timing does seem to correlate with placement on Ottawa's waitlist based on another page, but I hate thinking about this

I'm quite confident it is last name based but we will find out soon when people start to come off the waitlist :) stay positive!!

3 hours ago, TheWayIAre said:

With school starting in August, how likely is it that the first few months are gonna be online?

I say very likely, I’m kind of predicting campus will be closed  until April 2021.

For what it’s worth, I work at Mac and have been told that most services (gym, hospitality services etc) have been told to prepare for full year with campus closed.  Feel free to pm if u want a bit more of the inside scoop. 

There is talk that grad students and PhD students might get access to labs but I doubt they will be able to have med students on campus when Mac can due PBL tutorials online. 

1 minute ago, ejvrei said:

I'm quite confident it is last name based but we will find out soon when people start to come off the waitlist :) stay positive!!

Would make sense because I'm a 'D'!

42 minutes ago, short_stack said:

Thank you so much! Congrats on your acceptance too, and I see you have some WLs too. I hope to have you as a future classmate, but best of luck on those too. I hope you get all the acceptances so you have the freedom of selection. :wub: I'm gonna keep an eye out to see what you end up choosing!! so excited for you

thank you!! :wub: i doubt i'll come off the waitlists at the other schools before the deadline, so we may just end up as future classmates!

Just now, MDLD said:

I say very likely if not until April 2021.

For what it’s worth, I work at Mac and have been told that most services have been told to prepare for full year with campus closed.  
There is talk that grad students and PhD students might get access to labs but I doubt they will be able to have med students on campus when Mac can due PBL tutorials online. 

If this is the case, this is going to be devastating to your year at Mac since you won't have clinical experiences until it is too late for deciding many spceialties. Clerkship electives are picked 6 months in advanced and you first start picking things related to this in Feb/Mar (2021 for you fellos).

I suggest reading about specialties early on (even though you kinda need to experience them to know but better than nothing) because you don't have summers at Mac like you do at other schools to make up for loss time from COVID. There are also lots of stuff on the CMA site I recommend.

Result: Accepted (Hamilton)

Timestamp: 12 AM

cGPA: 3.96

CARS: 129

CASPer: Good enough for Ottawa

Year: Graduated last year

Button: No

Waitlisted at Ottawa and UofT so i’ll be accepting Mac. Excited to meet you guys!

33 minutes ago, ejvrei said:

Do you know when the deadline is??

3 hours ago, William Osler said:

Of the lottery 450, all of us were randomly ordered already. The top 100 of the list were accepted and the middle 250 were waitlisted and the bottom 100 were rejected

They could certainly waitlist everyone - but they did say they would send rejections

How do you know bottom 100 were rejected? 

5 minutes ago, MDWoman said:

We don't know for sure but it's safe to assume that either 250 were waitlisted (i.e. 100 rejected) or 300 were waitlisted (i.e. 50 rejected)

have any rejections been posted? 

No rejections were posted afaik, but this was in the document sent out to applicants earlier today:

"How many people are on the waitlist, and how is waitlist position being determined?

In keeping with past practice, McMaster does not provide information on the number of applicants on
the waitlist or on an individual’s waitlist position. We have significantly increased the number of
applicants on the waitlist this year given the unusual circumstances, and the possibility that more
applicants may decline an offer given the circumstances of COVID-19. Not all interviewees have been
waitlisted. Like the offers of admission for those not in the top 100, the waitlist order was determined
by lottery."

1 minute ago, seewhathappens said:

No rejections were posted afaik, but this was in the document sent out to applicants earlier today:

"How many people are on the waitlist, and how is waitlist position being determined?

In keeping with past practice, McMaster does not provide information on the number of applicants on
the waitlist or on an individual’s waitlist position. We have significantly increased the number of
applicants on the waitlist this year given the unusual circumstances, and the possibility that more
applicants may decline an offer given the circumstances of COVID-19. Not all interviewees have been
waitlisted. Like the offers of admission for those not in the top 100, the waitlist order was determined
by lottery."

thanks 

2 hours ago, aloeplant said:

If specialty/residency directors look down upon you for this reason, you probably don't want to be apart of their judgmental and presumptuous program anyway.

Of course you will want to be part of their program. You will suck up as much as possible just like I did for med school to go where I need to go. That is the hierarchy of medicine my friend. Wouldn't you also not know why they look down upon you just like you don't know why people get rejected to med school. 

2 minutes ago, Peanuts29 said:

Of course you will want to be part of their program. You will suck up as much as possible just like I did for med school to go where I need to go. That is the hierarchy of medicine my friend. Wouldn't you also not know why they look down upon you just like you don't know why people get rejected to med school. 

Nah. I think we can all agree that the hierarchy of medicine and the toxic parts of its culture are problematic. The reason why these institutions have remained in place for so long is partly because people just roll over without trying to change things for the better due to self-preservation (which is totally understandable). If we want things to change and be more just, we need to advocate for it as future healthcare professionals. What were the CANMEDS roles again?