Premed 101 Forums

Western Accepted/Waitlisted/Rejected 2019-2020

Result: Accepted (Campus Unspecified)

Timestamp: 8:49am

2-year GPA: 3.97ish

MCAT: 519 (129/130/128/132)

Interview: In-person. Honestly... I thought I killed my interview. The panel interviewers were pretty cold at the start but warmed up to me substantially. One of the last to leave the interview and they all seemed impressed. I walked out knowing that it would be okay if all my other interviews went to shit because I had western in the bag. Was not surprised when I received the offer.

Year: 4th UG

Geography: Non-SWOMEN

Will be declining offer.

•  

Result: Accepted (London)

Timestamp: 8:59am

2-year GPA: 3.93

MCAT: 127/128/131

Interview: In person, felt fairly standard but pretty good overall. Nothing too unexpected or off the wall.

Year: PhD completed

Will likely be declining in favour of Toronto, but not 100% sure yet. Good luck to all the waitlist troopers, I hope things work out for you guys!

•  

Result: Normal Waitlist

Timestamp: 9:06 AM

2-year GPA: 3.89

MCAT: 128/128/128

Interview: Online

Year: Graduated in 2017

Rejected from Queens (in person interview). I've been at this dream for so long. Not sure how many tries I have left in me but if things don't work out this year, I'll see some of you guys next year. Best of luck everyone!

Result: Normal waitlist

Timestamp: 9:06

2-year GPA: 3.95

MCAT: 130+ in each section

Interview: Honestly thought I started off strong with some unique personal experiences but my answers to some scenarios may have been a bit bland. However, I am extremely grateful to have received an offer at another school, so will be declining my position in the waitlist. Good luck everyone -  you guys should be proud for coming this far and I sincerely believe you will make it eventually with enough perseverance. 

Year:  4th year UG

Result: waitlisted (high)

Timestamp:  9:05am

2 yr GPA: 3.895

MCAT: 522 (131/129/130/132)

Interview: my first interview (in-person). although i started out a little nervous i think i warmed up fairly quickly, and afterward i felt really good about it. i did fumble one question, but other than that i think i mostly i gave thorough & thoughtful answers. my panel was friendly but a little stoic. i made a joke at the end that they all laughed at, and then the physician on my panel said "we are delighted you're considering our school", so i felt like they liked me.

Geography: non-SWOMEN

i'm really cut up about this. western was my first choice and i kind of expected an offer yesterday (my mistake of course - there should be no expectations in this process lol). not sure what to do as i'm pretty sure i will need to let my mac offer lapse in order to get off the western waitlist and that just seems dangerous. feeling sad rn.

50 minutes ago, inkbat said:

Result: waitlisted (high)

Timestamp:  9:05am

2 yr GPA: 3.895

MCAT: 522 (131/129/130/132)

Interview: my first interview (in-person). although i started out a little nervous i think i warmed up fairly quickly, and afterward i felt really good about it. i did fumble one question, but other than that i think i mostly i gave thorough & thoughtful answers. my panel was friendly but a little stoic. i made a joke at the end that they all laughed at, and then the physician on my panel said "we are delighted you're considering our school", so i felt like they liked me.

Geography: non-SWOMEN

i'm really cut up about this. western was my first choice and i kind of expected an offer yesterday (my mistake of course - there should be no expectations in this process lol). not sure what to do as i'm pretty sure i will need to let my mac offer lapse in order to get off the western waitlist and that just seems dangerous. feeling sad rn.

Try sending an email to Western to explain your situation. Let them know they you really wanted to attend western but you have another offer elsewhere. They might be able to give you information about where exactly you rank on the high waitlist and may even be able to tell you that you’re guaranteed A spot at western off the waitlist if you let the Mac offer lapse

Just now, inkbat said:

that's what i was thinking of doing but i was a little worried since they said in their letter to not email them about waitlist rank as it is against their policy to reveal that info. i guess i'll need to word it very carefully but i'm rreeeeeally hoping they'll be receptive to it!!!!

Yeah that’s a good idea. Maybe just ask them how big the high waitlist is and then based on this thread you can predict your chances? I know there are atleast a couple people that have said they will be rejecting their western offer, so if western really is your first choice I think you can be comforted by the fact that as a high waitlist you have a 99% chance of getting an offer here if you were to reject Mac 

1 hour ago, inkbat said:

that's what i've heard!!! it still feels terrifying to sit for 2 weeks without an offer after giving one up haha

I guess its how risk tolerant you are. I would if I was you especially given the huge differences between Mac and Western, especially with the lottery and COVID-19.

2 hours ago, inkbat said:

I am also high wl at western and i am not sure I would take the risk if I had another offer. It clearly states in the email there is no guarantee of admission. Besides It might very well not clear this year because it is not a typical year..we are literally at the mercy of other people declining their offers for other schools and it is not a good feeling.

20 minutes ago, William Osler said:

I guess its how risk tolerant you are. I would if I was you especially given the huge differences between Mac and Western, especially with the lottery and COVID-19.

1 hour ago, inkbat said:

that's what i've heard!!! it still feels terrifying to sit for 2 weeks without an offer after giving one up haha

You need to be aware that William Osler is on the Mac waitlist. The advise he is giving may not be fully unbiased.

18 minutes ago, ToopAin4Me said:

You need to be aware that William Osler is on the Mac waitlist. The advise he is giving may not be fully unbiased.

Im in med school... Anyways, you dont have to listen to my advice - Western clearing the high WL and reaching the normal WL is not something I came up with; have a look at past threads and other applicants giving similar advice (there was the one applicant who wanted to be at Western with his partner who got high WL with a Mac offer in a similar situation to inkbat)

18 minutes ago, IMislove said:

Hard risk to weigh. There is the risk of not getting off waitlist (weird year Cus of covid so waitlist movement I see being different compared to previous years), no guarantee of getting interviewed next year, etc. Tough spot to be in.

Sure those on the normal waitlist or Mac waitlist would love to choose between a Mac offer and a Western high WL tho

2 hours ago, William Osler said:

Im in med school... Anyways, you dont have to listen to my advice - Western clearing the high WL and reaching the normal WL is not something I came up with; have a look at past threads and other applicants giving similar advice (there was the one applicant who wanted to be at Western with his partner who got high WL with a Mac offer in a similar situation to inkbat)

You posted in the May 12 Countdown that you were waiting on Mac and UWO and that this was your 3rd cycle... unless you received an offer yesterday and have already accepted, you're not in med school. (Even so, I don't think someone who had just received an offer would describe themselves as being "in med school"... rather they would say they've already accepted an offer).

You also definitively said that the HWL always clears but this is not entirely true. There was one year in which the HWL did not fully clear. Additionally, with COVID going on there is no way to tell how WL movement will be affected. @inkbat this is a difficult choice, and I hope whichever choice you make turns out well for you! 

IMG_1242.JPG

IMG_1243.JPG

4 minutes ago, MD_Dream97 said:

@inkbat

I was put on McMaster's waitlist and got admitted to western. I wanted to go to McMaster originally because of the 3 year program (I don't have any financial support and I wanted to be able to graduate faster and spend less. However, I immediately accepted my western's offer because getting in from a waitlist is always a gamble. Sure, you're high waitlisted and the odds are in your favour but what if this year because of the corona situation and McMaster's lottery more people end up accepting their offer to western and the waitlist moves less than ever?The  other thing is you don't know where on the high waitlist you are. What if you're the last person on the high waitlist and don't get in because of that? 

Yes, it's very likely to that you'll get in off western's high waitlist but what if it doesn't happen? Is it worth risking not accepting an offer that gives you a MD and a chance at your dream profession?

I agree with what MDwoman has said. Maybe given you situation western can tell you how high you are on the high waitlist and that can shed some more light on the situation. But it's likely that they don't make exceptions. 

I know you'll make the best of decisions either way given your priorities. 

Congrats on your Western acceptance. I hope London treats you well