Premed 101 Forums

Western Accepted/Waitlisted/Rejected 2019-2020

1 hour ago, inkbat said:

wanna swap offers? lol

yeah, i can't imagine myself giving up the mac offer if it comes down to that. it's just too risky. at least i've got 13 days to think about it...

If I were you, personally I would go with a somewhat-systematic approach and comb through the forums seeing how many people are either a) declining a Western offer or b) accepting another offer and removing themselves from the Western high waitlist, and based on all of this by May 25th you may be able to judge your chances at getting into Western!

Of course, this is still risky and you do have to account for the fact that some people may be lying on the forums, but this would at least give you some more information to work with. If not, I may see you at mac next year!!

1 hour ago, Ethereal said:

e x p o s e d.

So transparent. Letting an offer lapse for a waitlist at another school is insane given the COVID pandemic and the unknown ramifications it will have on another school's waitlist movement.

Will people preferentially stay closer to home this year?
Will Mac's new admission policy have downstream effects on other wait lists?

Bottom-line: don't be crazy and accept your offers, peeps. And unlike "William Osler", I have actually gone to medical school.

Take any advice with a grain of salt. 

Not trying to be the guy who drops random sports references but.... this situation reminds me of Tracy Mcgrady interview in which he described his mental state after suffering back-to-back knee injuries. He talked about being in such a dark place that he was willing to try anything, including illegal substances, in order to get better and take back control of his situation.

Being a multiple cycle applicant and having been on multiple waitlists myself before (and yet again this year), you honestly feel a similar sense of desperation. Since your dream is so far out of your own hands right now it can take you down some dark roads. So although I don't condone lying and/or giving out malicious advice like rejecting an offer on hand for a shot from a high-waitlist, this whole process can take a toll and that can lead people to do things outside their nature.

Bottom line is, don't believe everything people post here and definitely put more wait on the advice from family and loved ones than any stranger on the internet (even if it's the father of modern medicine).

37 minutes ago, Phil Jackson said:

Not trying to be the guy who drops random sports references but.... this situation reminds me of Tracy Mcgrady interview in which he described his mental state after suffering back-to-back knee injuries. He talked about being in such a dark place that he was willing to try anything, including illegal substances, in order to get better and take back control of his situation.

Being a multiple cycle applicant and having been on multiple waitlists myself before (and yet again this year), you honestly feel a similar sense of desperation. Since your dream is so far out of your own hands right now it can take you down some dark roads. So although I don't condone lying and/or giving out malicious advice like rejecting an offer on hand for a shot from a high-waitlist, this whole process can take a toll and that can lead people to do things outside their nature.

Bottom line is, don't believe everything people post here and definitely put more wait on the advice from family and loved ones than any stranger on the internet (even if it's the father of modern medicine).

I wish I could double like this.

3 hours ago, Ethereal said:

e x p o s e d.

So transparent. Letting an offer lapse for a waitlist at another school is insane given the COVID pandemic and the unknown ramifications it will have on another school's waitlist movement.

Will people preferentially stay closer to home this year?
Will Mac's new admission policy have downstream effects on other wait lists?

Bottom-line: don't be crazy and accept your offers, peeps. And unlike "William Osler", I have actually gone to medical school.

This. There is no information about Covid effects on med school waitlists, and I know that because unfortunately  I’m waitlist at the only school I can realistically go to provided some special life circumstances I have, so I have been reading into this extensively.

So I was saying while there is no information about Covid effects on med school waitlists, I came across some blogs and reports from Law school admission, which subjectively analyze the situation and claim that schools which are historically a hub for out of city, province or country students (UBC or U of T for example) will likely have quite a big waitlist movement, because Covid is making people prefer proximity to family and home town over school name or prestige.

For schools that are historically filled with mostly local students, probably will be the opposite.

Again no one can give a definitive prediction, but based on what I mentioned and what makes sense, I feel schools like Western might have less than usual waitlist movement; if you were a local student who got offers to Western and UBC for example and would prefer UBC in the past, pretty sure under the current Covid situation you would reconsider your choice due to  effects on ease of travel and movement.

I think it’s insane to turn down an offer for a waitlist unless you know for sure that you are ranked in the top 10 of the waitlist, and even then you would be taking a big risk.

10 minutes ago, AgainOmsasSmh said:

This. There is no information about Covid effects on med school waitlists, and I know that because unfortunately  I’m waitlist at the only school I can realistically go to provided some special life circumstances I have, so I have been reading into this extensively.

So I was saying while there is no information about Covid effects on med school waitlists, I came across some blogs and reports from Law school admission, which subjectively analyze the situation and claim that schools which are historically a hub for out of city, province or country students (UBC or U of T for example) will likely have quite a big waitlist movement, because Covid is making people prefer proximity to family and home town over school name or prestige.

For schools that are historically filled with mostly local students, probably will be the opposite.

Again no one can give a definitive prediction, but based on what I mentioned and what makes sense, I feel schools like Western might have less than usual waitlist movement; if you were a local student who got offers to Western and UBC for example and would prefer UBC in the past, pretty sure under the current Covid situation you would reconsider your choice due to  effects on ease of travel and movement.

I think it’s insane to turn down an offer for a waitlist unless you know for sure that you are ranked in the top 10 of the waitlist, and even then you would be taking a big risk.

That's a really good point and I think it's particularly true for Western considering a big proportion of their class is SWOMEN. 

On 5/13/2020 at 10:22 AM, inkbat said:

that's what i've heard!!! it still feels terrifying to sit for 2 weeks without an offer after giving one up haha

they do almost always fully accept the high waitlist :)

there was one case ages ago when that didn't happen (years and years ago)  - but it is Western's clear attempt to tell people on the high waitlist that ultimately they will get an offer. 

On 5/13/2020 at 12:10 PM, William Osler said:

Im in med school... Anyways, you dont have to listen to my advice - Western clearing the high WL and reaching the normal WL is not something I came up with; have a look at past threads and other applicants giving similar advice (there was the one applicant who wanted to be at Western with his partner who got high WL with a Mac offer in a similar situation to inkbat)

again - they have ALMOST always cleared it. there is an extremely high chance they will clear it, and that is there goal in fact :)

I will keep this thread clean to have raw stats for people so try to move discussion to another thread - thanks!

Edited by rmorelan

57 minutes ago, rmorelan said:

again - they have ALMOST always cleared it. there is an extremely high chance they will clear it, and that is there goal in fact :)

I will keep this thread clean to have raw stats for people so try to move discussion to another thread - thanks!

Thank you! :)

Feel free to bring any waitlist related discussion here.

1 hour ago, rmorelan said:

there was one case ages ago when that didn't happen (years and years ago)  - but it is Western's clear attempt to tell people on the high waitlist that ultimately they will get an offer. 

Hey do you know what year that was and the circumstances around that year?

I've read you said that Western changed stuff after that happened, cause they didn't like it happening?

1 hour ago, rmorelan said:

rmorelan, what are your plans? you are almost done. Hope all is well 

7 minutes ago, Sweesy said:

Hey do you know what year that was and the circumstances around that year?

I've read you said that Western changed stuff after that happened, cause they didn't like it happening?

simply the high waitlist was too large, and we had a year where it didn't clear. After that the size was reduced to prevent that from happening

On 5/13/2020 at 4:51 PM, inkbat said:

primarily right now because of the COVID situation - i think mcmaster as a 3 year program will be far more impacted than western. mac was always my last choice anyway because i am neither a fan of PBL nor self-directed learning, but this whole global situation has just drastically reduced my desire to go to mac lol. 

It looks like your reasons for preferring Western aren't campus/location specific, but just keep in mind that most (if not all) people on the HWL last year got Windsor. I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with Windsor but it tends to be the less popular choice.

Not trying to continue the discussion on this thread, I just didn't know how to directly respond to you otherwise lol. Feel free to post any further discussion on the Waitlist Party thread! :)

11 minutes ago, 5th time the charm said:

rmorelan, what are your plans? you are almost done. Hope all is well 

Yes almost done! Heading back to Canada very soon - hope all is well with you! 

I will have plans to announce very soon once I clear one final step. 

16 minutes ago, rmorelan said:

Yes almost done! Heading back to Canada very soon - hope all is well with you! 

I will have plans to announce very soon once I clear one final step. 

Wonderful to hear!!! Long journey for you. Way to go !! :)  I have wondered how its been going for you down there and even more so since COVID hit. We are doing a lot of telemedicine here in Ontario. I am sure you have heard about the hospital/clinic situations. Next week the government has started to open up the elective surgeries and some clinics will start to see how they can open but most important will be PPE and patient/staff safety. 

kind of on this topic but also a bit unrelated ^^ ive noticed the FB page for schulich meds 2024 is already at around 122 people. not including the moderators and people on the exec council, thats around 110 people. is this a normal size for such a short period of time after may 12? also wondering if people who are still considering accepting join the group too? idk if this even matters im just wondering if this is indicative of how waitlist movement might be or if there are less people declining than normal? honestly dont know anything lol 

34 minutes ago, bbtlove said:

kind of on this topic but also a bit unrelated ^^ ive noticed the FB page for schulich meds 2024 is already at around 122 people. not including the moderators and people on the exec council, thats around 110 people. is this a normal size for such a short period of time after may 12? also wondering if people who are still considering accepting join the group too? idk if this even matters im just wondering if this is indicative of how waitlist movement might be or if there are less people declining than normal? honestly dont know anything lol 

don't over read it - we get a lot of people on there every year. There are a lot of people that even sign up historically that are just in the class (they cannot wait to meet the incoming class - orientation week is one of the most exciting times of the year for us - in fact we have multiple execs in charge of it on the council). :)