Premed 101 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nik-

Casper Prep Courses

I am seeking information about people's experiences with casper prep companies. Did you feel this was a worthwhile investment? I'm looking at a few different companies and am seeing a wide range of prices ($500-$2000) for what seem to be similar offerings. 

Absolutely not. I bought a book by one of the prep companies (which was designed to sell their course) and thought it was useless, other than the questions. Even then, my real questions were not similar to their practice. 

The best prep for CASPer is available for free here (read, we've had past markers chime in), and thinking about your experiences to make examples you could use.

11 minutes ago, MedicineLCS said:

Absolutely not. I bought a book by one of the prep companies (which was designed to sell their course) and thought it was useless, other than the questions. Even then, my real questions were not similar to their practice. 

The best prep for CASPer is available for free here (read, we've had past markers chime in), and thinking about your experiences to make examples you could use.

Thanks for that. I didn't expect any books to be useful; I'm more concerned about their simulations and if the feedback was useful enough to improve upon.

Any decently professional person can provide insight on your CASPer responses if you "train" them by educating them on how it works and what they're looking for in responses (the big words on the website). The simple truth of any prep courses is they don't know what makes a good response, only from their own experience. The test is marked on a percentile basis, so your main focus should be crafting strong, unique, answers. Any claims that they can improve your answers rely on their coaching and practice being useful for the money. I think this is wrong. 

You can simulate CASPer by using MMI questions and free resources. The most important thing is to have high percentile typing speed and a framework that you are comfortable working from. After that, find someone who can give good advice and ask them to read your responses and point out any specific or systemic flaws. After awhile, the practice will make you better. 

Also, its worth noting that reflecting on your own life experiences and motivations is excellent prep. They can't do that for you. 

I did 0 paid prep (other than the book) and interviewed at Mac and Ottawa with around average stats. 

I did one about 1000$ and got interviews for Mac and Ottawa. Feel free to PM me 

but if one does try I think you maybe okay to do it on your own. 

depends how much u value feed back and practice 

18 minutes ago, MedicineLCS said:

Any decently professional person can provide insight on your CASPer responses if you "train" them by educating them on how it works and what they're looking for in responses (the big words on the website). The simple truth of any prep courses is they don't know what makes a good response, only from their own experience. The test is marked on a percentile basis, so your main focus should be crafting strong, unique, answers. Any claims that they can improve your answers rely on their coaching and practice being useful for the money. I think this is wrong. 

You can simulate CASPer by using MMI questions and free resources. The most important thing is to have high percentile typing speed and a framework that you are comfortable working from. After that, find someone who can give good advice and ask them to read your responses and point out any specific or systemic flaws. After awhile, the practice will make you better. 

Also, its worth noting that reflecting on your own life experiences and motivations is excellent prep. They can't do that for you. 

I did 0 paid prep (other than the book) and interviewed at Mac and Ottawa with around average stats. 

I've tried all these tips and it hasn't translated to any better results. I do agree the life experience reflection is helpful and will certainly continue to update that.

I don't think they can provide you with more than what you can see online in terms of free Casper videos and MMI style questions. just practice as much as you can and try to simulate the real thing

However, I can see for some people how they may provide a sense of greater confidence in yourself knowing that you were "trained" so if you feel like you would be better off taking it, I guess you can try but just be informed that it might not make a difference at all