Premed 101 Forums

Internal medicine ( rheumatology) vs family med....

The rheums I know have pretty fantastic work life balance, but that’s quite the difference compared to the relatively hectic IM residency. 

I’m PGY-2 FM and have found my residency lifestyle pretty fantastic. My IM friends are much busier than I am. But a lot of it is very program dependent. 

On 5/11/2020 at 10:49 PM, Birdy said:

The rheums I know have pretty fantastic work life balance, but that’s quite the difference compared to the relatively hectic IM residency. 

I’m PGY-2 FM and have found my residency lifestyle pretty fantastic. My IM friends are much busier than I am. But a lot of it is very program dependent. 

How busy you are is also a good or bad thing depending on your post-residency goals. Often times, busier = more training. 

• 3 months later...
48 minutes ago, northernexposure said:

In the vein of specialty exploration, and in light of the lack of clinical exposure due to COVID, Hanna Levy and Anne Keller started a podcast called Northern Exposure: A guide to Canadian physician careers. They interview physicians in different specialties, sub-specialties and practice areas from across the country, to see what life looks like on the other side of residency.

Topics covered include their specialty and its stereotypes (Is it true that orthopedic surgeons are all jocks?), their journey (how does a former city-slicker wind up as an emerg doc in Yellowknife?), and nitty gritty details about their day-to-day work (is family medicine really all colds and sniffles?).

Check out Northern Exposure anywhere you listen to your podcasts, visit the website and like/follow them on social media to know when they release new episodes! Ten episodes out now, with new content released every week.

https://www.northernexposurepodcast.ca

https://www.facebook.com/NorthernExposurePodcast

https://www.instagram.com/northernexposurepodcast/

https://twitter.com/NrthrnExpsre

sorry but can you stop spamming?

On 5/11/2020 at 1:00 PM, Bookmark311 said:

Interested in doing an internal medicine residency but would like to know how many hours does average resident/ week? What is work life balance in an internal medicine residency?  Do u need a fellowship after rheumatology residency?

Just finished GIM training (4 years), the core 3 years are very tough. First two years have frequent and busy calls is what makes it tough. 3rd year there is overall less call (again dependent on program) but you are studying for the royal college (biggest exam of your life). Depending on how supportive (...or not) your program is can make life tougher.

I would say rough averages (not including time spent reading/studying) when your on GIM/CTU, ICU and CCU is roughly 80-100+ hours/week (including call). On sub-specialty blocks its usually better (as long as they don't kill you will too much call, again program dependent), around 40-60 hours/week.

As mentioned, Rheum is after core IM. If you mean do you need a fellowship to get to get a job after a rheum residency... probably not, unless you want to stay academic.

5 hours ago, ACHQ said:

Just finished GIM training (4 years), the core 3 years are very tough. First two years have frequent and busy calls is what makes it tough. 3rd year there is overall less call (again dependent on program) but you are studying for the royal college (biggest exam of your life). Depending on how supportive (...or not) your program is can make life tougher.

I would say rough averages (not including time spent reading/studying) when your on GIM/CTU, ICU and CCU is roughly 80-100+ hours/week (including call). On sub-specialty blocks its usually better (as long as they don't kill you will too much call, again program dependent), around 40-60 hours/week.

As mentioned, Rheum is after core IM. If you mean do you need a fellowship to get to get a job after a rheum residency... probably not, unless you want to stay academic.

Somewhat off topic but how did you come to decide to only do 4 years of residency (rather than the 5-year GIM program)? Why would anyone want to do 5 years GIM then (or even 6 if they do a chief resident year)?

31 minutes ago, ArchEnemy said:

Somewhat off topic but how did you come to decide to only do 4 years of residency (rather than the 5-year GIM program)? Why would anyone want to do 5 years GIM then (or even 6 if they do a chief resident year)?

I decided I wanted to make money and not have someone with the same credential's tell me how to take care of patients. The independence of staff life although scary is extremely liberating.

I can't really answer your second question because it doesn't make sense to me at all... but I presume people do the 5 year, (or worse even 6 years if they do a chief resident year) to *try* and get an academic position

but if I told any of them how much I made for the month of August they would instantly regret their decision :)

2 hours ago, ACHQ said:

I decided I wanted to make money and not have someone with the same credential's tell me how to take care of patients. The independence of staff life although scary is extremely liberating.

I can't really answer your second question because it doesn't make sense to me at all... but I presume people do the 5 year, (or worse even 6 years if they do a chief resident year) to *try* and get an academic position

but if I told any of them how much I made for the month of August they would instantly regret their decision :)

BUt AcADemIA is BeSt ;)    GIM in the community, is ripe for opportunity if you're willing to work hard!