Premed 101 Forums

Western Waitlist Party 2019-2020

3 hours ago, inkbat said:

thank you!! :) for western i believe they won’t send offers until after the 26th but queen’s might send them on the 26th!

to get western i’d have to let go of my mac offer and i don’t know if i should do that yet :/

Do you think if you email Western and explain your situation that they might tell you your position on their WL? I know you're high WL and they usually get through all the high WL but if you know your position, you may be able to make a more informed decision since there is a difference between being top 10 on the high WL vs being top 50.

3 minutes ago, inkbat said:

i was thinking the same thing and i already tried that too :( they said they couldn't give me more info tho

honestly i hate the system so much - it's almost structured to screw you over at every step. 

Worst case scenario: you got to Mac like 202 other colleagues and get a MD - pretty good worst case scenario imo

3 minutes ago, inkbat said:

i was thinking the same thing and i already tried that too :( they said they couldn't give me more info tho

honestly i hate the system so much - it's almost structured to screw you over at every step. 

Aww I'm sorry to hear that. You do have a really tough decision ahead of you, I wish you had more information to go on. I wish you all the best and maybe just go with your gut? 

1 minute ago, inkbat said:

It can be frustrating! There have been arguments at Western to drop the entire high waitlist because it can create this sorts of conflicts. 

The trouble is it doesn't really matter what they do - it is an intensely stressful event, and no configuration is going to change that completely. There were some discussions about converting as well to a CARMS style system overall - you simply find out if and where you would go on the announcement day (just means you have to rank everywhere first - it just accelerates the same process we have here basically once you understand the math).  There would be no waitlists. 

Can someone explain to me how the waitlist call works? 

like I have already accepted my waitlist on the student centre, doesn’t that mean I want the position? So why are they calling?

like are they going to call me and ask if I want to admissions or just tell me I got a place?

Also, what time do they call? What happens if I miss that call? Will they call again and email? How much time do they give me to decide, if they are asking me? 

2 hours ago, Gaming2Much said:

Can someone explain to me how the waitlist call works? 

like I have already accepted my waitlist on the student centre, doesn’t that mean I want the position? So why are they calling?

like are they going to call me and ask if I want to admissions or just tell me I got a place?

Also, what time do they call? What happens if I miss that call? Will they call again and email? How much time do they give me to decide, if they are asking me? 

Hi! They call because it's possible that you're on several waitlists. They'll tell you that you have a spot/which campus it is on, and to expect your acceptance email to come within the next 24 hrs. They'll also tell you how long you have to respond to the offer - so I was offered a spot on May 30th and given until June 10th to respond. The idea is if I had been on another waitlist I might've wanted to wait it out and see if I got an offer from the other school. They did ask me if I was expecting to accept the offer but you don't have to give a firm answer right away if you need some time to think about it. I think the call is mostly because they like to have confirmation that you've received the offer, and the faster they can get you to accept/turn down the offer the sooner they know how many more calls they need to make. 

I got my call at 4:00pm-ish? I don't have the same phone anymore so I can't give an exact time. I do remember knowing that calls started going out that day and around 3:00pm thinking that I must've not been getting a call bc I figured their office was on summer hours and they were probably closed by then, but then it came through! If you miss the call I believe they just try again? they might call the alternate number if you provided one on your account? Missing the call won't affect your position on the waitlist - they'll do their best to get ahold of you. If at all possible though I'd try to have your phone on you with the volume on for the next week.

Hope you hear back quickly! :) 

11 hours ago, inkbat said:

@CHG i just wanted to say thank you so much for how helpful you’ve been on this forum! it’s truly appreciated :)

Thank you that is so nice of you to say! I remember feeling totally overwhelmed this time last year and can't even imagine the extra layer you guys are dealing with. I'm so happy to hear that my posts have been helpful!  :)