Premed 101 Forums

Western Waitlist Party 2019-2020

16 minutes ago, Gaming2Much said:

What does it mean for waitlist if an unspecified acceptance was put into not their first choice?

Probably that less than 38 people are going to get offers from the WL considering thats the size of windsor.. which may not even clear the HWL. 

11 minutes ago, rawshrimp said:

Probably that less than 38 people are going to get offers from the WL considering thats the size of windsor.. which may not even clear the HWL. 

well that sounds particularly scary - but this isn't much different than usual. I would doubt the HWL doesn't clear - but as always we will see. 

31 minutes ago, Gaming2Much said:

What does it mean for waitlist if an unspecified acceptance was put into not their first choice?

usually that means there is a cap of the remaining spots equal to max Windsor's spaces as it is the less popular site. Usually part of the HWL goes to london, and some to Windsor. What is left bleeds over to the NWL. 

I’m so sorry you guys didn’t get your first choice. :( Hopefully that doesn’t take too much away from the fact that you are going to medical school in the fall, and you never know you might still get an London offer later in the summer or in June. I don’t want to plant false hope but you never know. I have my fingers crossed for you guys

I definitely had a momentary freak out reading these replies and started downward spiraling (less than 38 seats :eek:) but I’m trying to keep hope by reminding myself that this probably happens every year. More people are posting on this forum this year for western (65 people posted they were accepted versus last years 18) so we are probably just seeing more of the “process” this year as people post what’s happening with their specific application 

thats what I’m telling myself at least :(

I highly doubt this. an accepted person should get priority for campus preference over a WL person. so it look like there weren't enough declines for accepted (londons) to allow for all unspecified to get their first choice. 

Just now, Gaming2Much said:

Could they be pulling straight accepted people to Windsor to avoid what happened last year with most/all HWL going Windsor?

1 minute ago, rawshrimp said:

I highly doubt this. an accepted person should get priority for campus preference over a WL person. so it look like there weren't enough declines for accepted (londons) to allow for all unspecified to get their first choice. 

yup - that is the usual way, and it the most fair configuration. 

1 minute ago, rawshrimp said:

Yeah I think this is most likely what's happening. I don't think they care enough about HWL mostly ending up at Windsor last year to break the rank. Fingers crossed for everybody!

Just now, seewhathappens said:

For what its worth  - I don't think they would want WL people only at Windsor.  Similar to Mac, they wouldn't want lower ranked applicants at their satellite campuses, as that would devalue the satellite campus - something they actively try to avoid.

The whole idea of a satelitte campus is whack - not sure if this is a Canadian or Ontario thing (Windsor, NRC, WRC, MAM, Thunder Bay)

6 minutes ago, CHG said:

Yeah I think this is most likely what's happening. I don't think they care enough about HWL mostly ending up at Windsor last year to break the rank. Fingers crossed for everybody!

and why would they care? I mean and I have to be clear on this - Windsor is a great location to do medical school training. That isn't just the "party line" that is reality from an educational stand point (you can objectively see that it is true). There of course can be other factors and preferences but the school itself is solid there. Medicine often doesn't really care beyond that in our training (same with residency - you will get sent where ever really for a lot of the fields. Limited geographic control to say the least). 

1 minute ago, William Osler said:

The whole idea of a satelitte campus is whack - not sure if this is a Canadian or Ontario thing (Windsor, NRC, WRC, MAM, Thunder Bay)

BC also has satellite campuses, at Prince George & Victoria.

And it's not whack.  You want to bring academic medicine training outside the  large urban area to better serve the community.  Plus - you give learners a chance to experience community medicine, where theoretically a majority of doctors will end up being.  

2 minutes ago, seewhathappens said:

For what its worth  - I don't think they would want WL people only at Windsor.  Similar to Mac, they wouldn't want lower ranked applicants at their satellite campuses, as that would devalue the satellite campus - something they actively try to avoid.

There is an argument there - although "lower rank" also seem harsh - there is no real difference between the average London vs Windsor student. Maybe the appear lower in some ultimately subjective in part evaluation but that should not be used to imply they are actually worse ha. Same with those that get accepted, and those that didn't off the waitlist. 

Just now, rmorelan said:

There is an argument there - although "lower rank" also seem harsh - there is no real difference between the average London vs Windsor student. Maybe the appear lower in some ultimately subjective in part evaluation but that should not be used to imply they are actually worse ha. Same with those that get accepted, and those that didn't off the waitlist. 

Oh for sure, don't get me wrong - they're all incredible individuals.  But from an optics standpoint, you don't want to create the image of "primary" and "secondary" campus.  Different locations, not "better" ones.

Just now, rmorelan said:

What do they call the last ranked person that was accepted? Doctor

What do they call the first ranked person on the waitlist that was not accepted? Fremulon, not a doctor (B99 fans will know)

1 minute ago, seewhathappens said:

BC also has satellite campuses, at Prince George & Victoria.

And it's not whack.  You want to bring academic medicine training outside the  large urban area to better serve the community.  Plus - you give learners a chance to experience community medicine, where theoretically a majority of doctors will end up being.  

Plus there is simply no room at the primary campus - or rather original campus I suppose - the choice was to fix the doctor shortage this way vs. not fixing it really. You overload the hospital with clerks and you compromise their clinical exposure and education. The choice to go to the current model was a careful consideration. 

Just now, seewhathappens said:

Oh for sure, don't get me wrong - they're all incredible individuals.  But from an optics standpoint, you don't want to create the image of "primary" and "secondary" campus.  Different locations, not "better" ones.

Nope I don't :) Which is why I will challenge that perception any chance I get, and always make it clear that objectively there isn't a difference (we have test score, and match rates here - we don't need to guess). 

4 minutes ago, William Osler said:

It's also a thing in Quebec, we have 3 satellite campuses here alone (1 at Trois-Rivières (Montreal), 1 at Gatineau (McGill) and the other at Saguenay (Sherbrooke), not to count the satellite campus at Moncton offered by Sherbrooke, and there will be TWO more satellite campuses coming up in 2 years)...

Just now, rmorelan said:

Nope I don't :) Which is why I will challenge that perception any chance I get, and always make it clear that objectively there isn't a difference (we have test score, and match rates here - we don't need to guess). 

Haha sorry, I didn't mean you, rmorelan when i meant "you".  I meant the schools - I am in total agreement with you.