Premed 101 Forums

Western Waitlist Party 2019-2020

9 minutes ago, Moonlight2 said:

Does anyone here know if last year any high waitlisters ended up at the London campus?!

Two that I know of personally were accepted to Windsor off high waitlist and were then offered a switch to London very late in the summer. This is a long shot though so if you're offered Windsor off the waitlist I would work with the assumption that you will be staying there. 

20 minutes ago, CHG said:

Two that I know of personally were accepted to Windsor off high waitlist and were then offered a switch to London very late in the summer. This is a long shot though so if you're offered Windsor off the waitlist I would work with the assumption that you will be staying there. 

Interesting! Do you know why/how they were offered that switch? Like did they negotiate with admissions or something?! :lol: 

7 minutes ago, Moonlight2 said:

Interesting! Do you know why/how they were offered that switch? Like did they negotiate with admissions or something?! :lol: 

Hahaha no! Other students turned down their offers after the deposit was already in - no idea what the circumstance around that was. The seat numbers are set and admissions doesn't usually like to 'negotiate' as far as I'm aware. But that's why waitlist offers continued all the way into July. Somebody drops out of London late, a windsor get moved, another waitlister gets the call kinda thing. 

Legend has it if you can convince somebody at the other campus to switch with you, you guys can approach admissions together and have a conversation about that. No idea about the validity of this/how you would convince somebody to switch out of their first choice. 

(Also try not to get too riled up over campuses, if you end up here, you'll come to love the Windsor crew and the opportunities - and we all end up with the same MD. If you're stressed about it shoot me a message!)

1 minute ago, William Osler said:

I also have heard of varsity atheltes being able to switch from Windsor to London, even after spending year(s) in Windsor campus

Not surprised by this - I was a varsity athlete in my undergrad and Western sure does love their OUA banners. Maybe I should've kept at it...

sounds like it's a good time to pick up a sport! 

3 hours ago, swomenapp said:

I was low waitlisted. I'm devastated. Seems like im the only (?) swomen app who is in that position. Truly devastated.

I'm not a swomen applicant, but I was low waitlisted for the second straight year despite what I felt like was a massive improvement in my interview. With luck I'll be right there with you again next year.

10 minutes ago, CHG said:

Hahaha no! Other students turned down their offers after the deposit was already in - no idea what the circumstance around that was. The seat numbers are set and admissions doesn't usually like to 'negotiate' as far as I'm aware. But that's why waitlist offers continued all the way into July. Somebody drops out of London late, a windsor get moved, another waitlister gets the call kinda thing. 

Legend has it if you can convince somebody at the other campus to switch with you, you guys can approach admissions together and have a conversation about that. No idea about the validity of this/how you would convince somebody to switch out of their first choice. 

(Also try not to get too riled up over campuses, if you end up here, you'll come to love the Windsor crew and the opportunities - and we all end up with the same MD. If you're stressed about it shoot me a message!)

Good to know! Thanks for sharing. My only concern regarding campuses is that my partner would have to find a job wherever we move and the prospects of that, in his field, seem to be almost non-existent in Windsor...

10 minutes ago, Moonlight2 said:

Good to know! Thanks for sharing. My only concern regarding campuses is that my partner would have to find a job wherever we move and the prospects of that, in his field, seem to be almost non-existent in Windsor...

oh no! It's really unfortunate that admission can't take this kind of stuff into consideration. I know things would get wild if they did, but in an ideal world...

I have my fingers crossed for you and your partner! good luck! 

26 minutes ago, Zuk said:

I'm not a swomen applicant, but I was low waitlisted for the second straight year despite what I felt like was a massive improvement in my interview. With luck I'll be right there with you again next year.

Yeah same. Rejected last year, thought this interview went a lot better, and was low waitlisted. 

Hi everyone, 
Congrats to everyone who got accepted! :) I received only one interview from western after third time applying and was NWL today. Super disappointed since I thought the interview went really well. I was wondering if I should start prepping for the next cycle or should look for alternative career paths. Medicine is something I am very passionate about, but at the same time, it has been a really stressful journey. I am lost rn and was wondering someone in a similar situation, mind sharing their experiences or thoughts? 

25 minutes ago, MDanon123 said:

Hi everyone, 
Congrats to everyone who got accepted! :) I received only one interview from western after third time applying and was NWL today. Super disappointed since I thought the interview went really well. I was wondering if I should start prepping for the next cycle or should look for alternative career paths. Medicine is something I am very passionate about, but at the same time, it has been a really stressful journey. I am lost rn and was wondering someone in a similar situation, mind sharing their experiences or thoughts? 

I have a similar mindset right now and feel the same way.

I think it's mostly because I don't know what a normal waitlist at Western really means.. does it mean we still have a realistic chance or that we are realistically facing another application cycle? This whole debacle with Mac's lottery and the online interviews (and not visiting campuses in person) is probably going to affect a few applicants choices as well and therefore affect waitlist movement.. 

Similar to @MDanon123 I'd also appreciate hearing from others who are in a similar boat this year or from previous years. 

To add on to your question: I'm going to give myself a breather until mid-June/July and not think about writing up my application(s) until then. There's no need to start writing or putting anything together right now in my opinion. I'm going to follow up with some volunteer organizations that are offering virtual services and help out with that so if you're worried about the next cycle then that might be something to look into to pass the time as well. 

16 minutes ago, Scrubadubdub said:

To add on to your question: I'm going to give myself a breather until mid-June/July and not think about writing up my application(s) until then. There's no need to start writing or putting anything together right now in my opinion. I'm going to follow up with some volunteer organizations that are offering virtual services and help out with that so if you're worried about the next cycle then that might be something to look into to pass the time as well. 

Volunteering via virtual services sounds like a good plan. Would you mind sharing where you can find them? Being NWL is like extended torture :( I don't want to hope anything and be disappointed again.

Just now, MDanon123 said:

Volunteering via virtual services sounds like a good plan. Would you mind sharing where you can find them? Being NWL is like extended torture :( I don't want to hope anything and be disappointed again.

The friendly visiting type of programs I'm apart of are trying to find current and new volunteers to pair  with those in assisted living, nursing homes etc to talk to/keep in touch with virtually. One of my friends FaceTimes with the person he's paired with every couple days. It's really awesome. This is something I do just in my own time not related to medicine, but it feels really good to be apart of the community this way. :) There's also tutoring and mentoring. Another thing one of my friends is doing is dropping off meals for those who can't go out grocery shopping themselves. I haven't looked into this myself since I don't have access to a vehicle, but that would be something too possibly. 

Hi everyone !! Just wanted to provide some support to those on the waitlist right now. Last year the high waitlist started moving on May 30th, 2.5 weeks after offers went out. I was on the normal wait list and was called on the Monday (June 3rd). My stats were(2Y 3.8 GPA, 126/129/128 MCAT and Non-SWOMEN). I know this time sucks but don't give up hope yet !! :)

3 hours ago, CHG said:

oh no! It's really unfortunate that admission can't take this kind of stuff into consideration. I know things would get wild if they did, but in an ideal world...

I have my fingers crossed for you and your partner! good luck! 

Thank you so much! Good luck to you too! :)

46 minutes ago, PEP2019 said:

Hi everyone !! Just wanted to provide some support to those on the waitlist right now. Last year the high waitlist started moving on May 30th, 2.5 weeks after offers went out. I was on the normal wait list and was called on the Monday (June 3rd). My stats were(2Y 3.8 GPA, 126/129/128 MCAT and Non-SWOMEN). I know this time sucks but don't give up hope yet !! :)

Do you know when the class is filled (waitlist ceases to move)? Do they inform you when the class is full?

How many ppl do you think are on the high waitlist and how many of the low waitlist ppl do you think they take

8 minutes ago, William Osler said:

Do you know when the class is filled (waitlist ceases to move)? Do they inform you when the class is full?

How many ppl do you think are on the high waitlist and how many of the low waitlist ppl do you think they take

This is all a rough guess and can change year to year so take this information with a grain of salt. The last person I personally know to get off the waitlist was notified in late July. I'm not sure about the class full email, but from previous years it sounds like they have not sent a class full email. 

It's impossible to know how many people are on the high waitlist. They almost always clear the high waitlist and at least part of the normal waitlist. To put this into perspective, last year a lot of the high waitlist was offered Windsor initially as opposed to previous years where they had some offers to London off the high waitlist as well. Regardless, some of us were still accepted off the normal waitlist last year. I don't think they have ever accepted anyone from the low waitlist. 

Just now, PEP2019 said:

This is all a rough guess and can change year to year so take this information with a grain of salt. The last person I personally know to get off the waitlist was notified in late July. I'm not sure about the class full email, but from previous years it sounds like they have not sent a class full email. 

It's impossible to know how many people are on the high waitlist. They almost always clear the high waitlist and at least part of the normal waitlist. To put this into perspective, last year a lot of the high waitlist was offered Windsor initially as opposed to previous years where they had some offers to London off the high waitlist as well. Regardless, some of us were still accepted off the normal waitlist last year. I don't think they have ever accepted anyone from the low waitlist. 

Thanks for the info - guess that leaves normal waitlisters in some purgatory 

1 hour ago, William Osler said:

Hmm, the AFMC document showed that for the 2018/19 application cycle, 78 people declined a seat that was offered to them at Western, which then likely means that 78 people were offered a spot from the waitlist (high and normal). This kind of echos another post I saw on this forum that said roughly a third of the incoming class at Western is made up of individuals from the waitlist 

I'm not good with numbers so my guess is probably not the best - but I feel like 2/3 of that 78 is high waitlist individuals (~50 people) and 1/3 is normal waitlist (~25 people). The number of high waitlisted individuals might be lower.. maybe something more like 30-40 people?

These are just guesses for fun. Would love to hear what all of you think.

https://afmc.ca/en/news-publications/admission-requirements1600881211_ScreenShot2020-05-12at8_55_57PM.png.5bd1d2e3388ce11ef074f624bfc0c8fd.png