Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums
nrcplstake

McMaster Waitlist Party 2020

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, MDLD said:

haha yeah i know. 

But had my heart set for Mac for years. Sucks that there was no interview so its all up to luck. 

Best of luck friend!

 

Haha all good.  I now remember you have partner/family reasons, and that's the most important.  Best of luck with everything!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, seewhathappens said:

Haha all good.  I now remember you have partner/family reasons, and that's the most important.  Best of luck with everything!

Yeah mac was the plan so I can keep my support system as I feel that is very important with the stress of school. 
 

long distance from queens isn’t preferred but we will just have to figure it out. In a year or two my partner will be done school so could potentially look for stuff in Kingston with me. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MDLD said:

Yeah mac was the plan so I can keep my support system as I feel that is very important with the stress of school. 
 

long distance from queens isn’t preferred but we will just have to figure it out. In a year or two my partner will be done school so could potentially look for stuff in Kingston with me. 
 

Yeah, I totally get it.  Hope it works out for you guys - worst case, two years will pass faster than you know! Sending good vibes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chin up kings and queens!

Every new offer could be any of us, especially cuz it’s random anyways!

Ive been reading the past years wl threads and always thought that people start losing hope way too early. I’d say the same  probably applies to this cycle :-)

But regardless of the outcome, we can make next year to be our best adventure yet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the worst part of it is that I don't know wtf I'm gonna do next year. I hate school but I need to do it because my gpa is ass. I'd need to rewrite the mcat (with the lower time duration) so that I can even qualify to apply to other schools. I was just counting on my interview to get me through. sorry I know I'm complaining and being annoying but I just feel like ranting and getting everything out 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, reginageorge said:

the worst part of it is that I don't know wtf I'm gonna do next year. I hate school but I need to do it because my gpa is ass. I'd need to rewrite the mcat (with the lower time duration) so that I can even qualify to apply to other schools. I was just counting on my interview to get me through. sorry I know I'm complaining and being annoying but I just feel like ranting and getting everything out 

It truly is really tough, but don't worry because you are going to put your best foot forward and do super well. Don't give up just yet :) We will pull through!! (even if it seems difficult now)!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, nrcplstake said:

Do you guys think more offers will be send out today or tomorrow?

I think the big wave (spots created by those initially offered to Mac who denied + those high on the Mac WL who denied) went out on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. There may be a smaller wave next week from the handful of people who had multiple waitlist offers but thats it unfortunately

Seems like the waitlist movement this year was not significantly different (based off of forums) despite lottery & effects of COVID exacerbated in a 3year program

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, William Osler said:

I think the big wave (spots created by those initially offered to Mac who denied + those high on the Mac WL who denied) went out on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. There may be a smaller wave next week from the handful of people who had multiple waitlist offers but thats it unfortunately

Seems like the waitlist movement this year was not significantly different (based off of forums) despite lottery & effects of COVID exacerbated in a 3year program

Aaa I see! I’m curious to read that afmc  document for this year and see if they actually gave out more offers.

Also..... oh gosh I hope Im not the first to break the op prophecy since 2012

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nrcplstake said:

Aaa I see! I’m curious to read that afmc  document for this year and see if they actually gave out more offers.

Also..... oh gosh I hope Im not the first to break the op prophecy since 2012

Yea they usually takes a while to come out - I think the one on the website is from 2018 lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, William Osler said:

Do you think they will invite 550 total or more interviewees next year to accomodate those who get fucked over by the lottery?

I feel like they wouldn’t increase the spots because (I may have dreamt this) didn’t they say they offered guaranteed interviews because most of the interviewees from this year will probably get in somewhere, and if not they’d probably get an interview offer again. So it’s not super unfair to next years applicants. 

Also it seems like Mac is pretty conservative on extra spendings; more interview spots = more resources, so probably not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Around 10 people have posted that they got off the waitlist so far, that seems like more compared to past years (or people are just posting more)?

This could be good news — possibly more movement this year. And the wave next week should be bigger than last year as well :-) hopefully we all get out of this treacherous wait next week :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When is the deadline for those to respond to the waitlist offer? Is anyone that was offered from the waitlist holding off for other waitlists? 

The only offers that will be created next week is by those who were on the waitlist denying their offer for other acceptances off waitlists...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just thought that amongst all this sadness for people who didn't get a spot I'd just share my story as I'm sure some of you can relate and others can hopefully draw some inspiration. Also I just need to vent.

This was my 4th cycle, I've gotten in at schools in the US and Europe but I just really wanted to stay in Canada because this is my home. 

After not getting in post undergrad I did a master's program that has allowed me to obtain a role as a health care professional. I've got over two thousand hours of frontline healthcare experience. 

All I've ever wanted was an interview to show these schools that I WILL be a great doctor. Just a chance to show them that stats aren't everything (I've got a great GPA, but 126 CARS). 

Having worked in healthcare, knowing how to talk to patients and working with doctors, nurses and allied health on almost a daily basis, I knew I was ready to slay the interview (despite what Mac said about us thinking we would do better on the interview than we actually would). This year for the first time I got my wish, and got that opportunity..only to ultimately lose out on the chance to show what makes me unique and demonstrate my readiness to be a physician. TO A LOTTERY no less. It's been a really really tough pill to swallow but I'm not giving up just yet. 

I know that I will be a great physician, it's not a matter of IF but WHEN. As hard as it is let's all keep our heads up. Congrats to everyone that's gotten in. All of this waiting is just going to make it that much sweeter when we are finally there. 

 

Peace and love 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LetsTryThisAgain19 said:

I just thought that amongst all this sadness for people who didn't get a spot I'd just share my story as I'm sure some of you can relate and others can hopefully draw some inspiration. Also I just need to vent.

This was my 4th cycle, I've gotten in at schools in the US and Europe but I just really wanted to stay in Canada because this is my home. 

After not getting in post undergrad I did a master's program that has allowed me to obtain a role as a health care professional. I've got over two thousand hours of frontline healthcare experience. 

All I've ever wanted was an interview to show these schools that I WILL be a great doctor. Just a chance to show them that stats aren't everything (I've got a great GPA, but 126 CARS). 

Having worked in healthcare, knowing how to talk to patients and working with doctors, nurses and allied health on almost a daily basis, I knew I was ready to slay the interview (despite what Mac said about us thinking we would do better on the interview than we actually would). This year for the first time I got my wish, and got that opportunity..only to ultimately lose out on the chance to show what makes me unique and demonstrate my readiness to be a physician. TO A LOTTERY no less. It's been a really really tough pill to swallow but I'm not giving up just yet. 

I know that I will be a great physician, it's not a matter of IF but WHEN. As hard as it is let's all keep our heads up. Congrats to everyone that's gotten in. All of this waiting is just going to make it that much sweeter when we are finally there. 

 

Peace and love 

 

 

 

You are amazing. Thank you so much for sharing your courageous story. It definitely gives me hope and reassures me that i’m not alone on this journey. I love you guys so much <3 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pleasehelp said:

Does anyone know of masters programs in life or health sciences that accept applications during the summer? I didn't really have a plan B 

Why don’t u take the year off and work or volunteer or do research? I’m not sure if doing a masters helps that much at the end. It’s a lot of time, money, and work, and people get in without doing it all the time. Just wondering. Cause I really don’t know much about it either :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...