Premed 101 Forums

McMaster Waitlist Party 2020

46 minutes ago, Saber223 said:

I've been following this thread for a long time and I'm lowkey rooting for OP to get in lol. I'm in the same situation with Mac and Queens waitlists, but the OP prophecy has to live on, and OP has both waitlist threads on lock.

Awww thank you :unsure::unsure: I really don’t want to be the first to break the streak... i don’t have much hope left, but will definitely update if by some miracle, it ends up happening!

2 minutes ago, nrcplstake said:

There has always been a wave in June in the past years, but only one person so far posted that they got in in june... what a strange strange year

I think this year is such an outlier with COVID affecting the admin staff/curriculums, and the lottery situation overall, that its very hard to predict what's going to happen.

At this rate, I just have a sliver of hope that won't be extinguished until we get that "Class Full" email.  

17 minutes ago, premed1995 said:

Do you guys think they’re taking a smaller class this year or a big wave will come this week? 

I think either 2 things happened:

1) they sent out far more initial offers than usual to compensate for all the uncertainties

2) Because 100+ offers were lottery rather than a rank list, many of the people who got offered a position didn't have any other waitlists/offers (either in wave 1 or 2). I don't mean this at all out of disrespect as I know that all interview candidates would make excellent doctors, but most likely the people at the top of the waitlist movements in past years probably had more options than those in the lower regions (hence more waitlist movement).

I know it's possible that a lot of people just aren't posting on premed, but I just personally doubt it. More people are on their online devices due to covid and this year had an abnormally low response rate.

13 minutes ago, Saber223 said:

I think either 2 things happened:

1) they sent out far more initial offers than usual to compensate for all the uncertainties

2) Because 100+ offers were lottery rather than a rank list, many of the people who got offered a position didn't have any other waitlists/offers (either in wave 1 or 2). I don't mean this at all out of disrespect as I know that all interview candidates would make excellent doctors, but most likely the people at the top of the waitlist movements in past years probably had more options than those in the lower regions (hence more waitlist movement).

I know it's possible that a lot of people just aren't posting on premed, but I just personally doubt it. More people are on their online devices due to covid and this year had an abnormally low response rate.

Except Point #2 doesn't work with what Mac said RE: guaranteed interviews next year.  They said their data suggests that they can offer guaranteed interview next year to all applicants who didn't get in this year (incl. the outright Mac rejects), since MOST people off the WL either get an offer to Mac, or to another school. 

So either:

1) Mac was wrong, and they will have to offer 100+ people on the WL interviews next year, either increasing the pool, or lowering odds for new applicants

2) This group of us on PM101 are incredibly unlucky, and happen to be on the bottom of the WL, and will interview together next year

3) There's more offers coming.

In my opinion #2 is the most likely option, but I'm holding out hope for #3.

9 minutes ago, seewhathappens said:

Except Point #2 doesn't work with what Mac said RE: guaranteed interviews next year.  They said their data suggests that they can offer guaranteed interview next year to all applicants who didn't get in this year (incl. the outright Mac rejects), since MOST people off the WL either get an offer to Mac, or to another school. 

So either:

1) Mac was wrong, and they will have to offer 100+ people on the WL interviews next year, either increasing the pool, or lowering odds for new applicants

2) This group of us on PM101 are incredibly unlucky, and happen to be on the bottom of the WL, and will interview together next year

3) There's more offers coming.

In my opinion #2 is the most likely option, but I'm holding out hope for #3.

I really hope that number 3 is the case too, even though the uncertainty is aggravating, a small (maybe silly) part of me won't let go of hope haha.

I think taking the top 100 could have messed things up because according to their study, only 70-76% of the top 100 get an offer of admission, so they ended up taking 30 extra people. Then again, we have no idea because of COVID. Things could just be delayed. I’m still holding out for June, hoping that there’s still more seats. Anything’s possible till we get the class is full email.

5 minutes ago, LeBruv said:

Hi guys, 

I emailed Wendy. Here’s the response I got: 

our class is very close to full.  Once it is, I will send out a message to all applicants on the waitlist to let them know.”

Don’t lose hope everyone, we’ll get em next year.

Thanks for checking!

Though this does seem strangely soon compared to previous years. I'm really curious what they'll do next year. Feels like there's a LOT of us on WL who will get the auto-interview next year.  

So do they interview 600-700 next year? Or is it just super tough for new applicants to get an interview? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

1 minute ago, seewhathappens said:

Thanks for checking!

Though this does seem strangely soon compared to previous years. I'm really curious what they'll do next year. Feels like there's a LOT of us on WL who will get the auto-interview next year.  

So do they interview 600-700 next year? Or is it just super tough for new applicants to get an interview? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

They should accept CASPer for those that write it to see if the waitlisteres wouldve received interviews regardless - just for data purposes

Hopefully its 550 total so it doesnt fuck the waitlisters over a 2nd time 

I just got an offer for the Hamilton campus!!! Timestamp: 14:45

Edit: I just want to say that I wish all of you the absolute best of luck! We were definitely dealt a tough hand this year, but there is still so much positivity on this forum and I believe so much in you all! (I was a little too in shock to write anything more than what I had written before at the time, sorry)

I haven't revisited any Mac-related forums since May 12, but I wanted to come back to see how much the waitlist moved. Like many of you, I was really frustrated when learning about Mac's lottery selection, but I still think that their medical program is great and will produce terrific doctors. I was fortunate enough to receive an offer to the medical school in my home province, so I won't be at Mac, but I wanted to share what I think about the current state of waitlist movement.

Like some other users above, I also think that the Mac waitlist did not move as much this year. I can't confirm anything, but based on the 2023 Mac Med Facebook group, about 50-60 people have joined since May 26 (a day before the first large wave of waitlist acceptances). While I know that the school stated that they can offer guaranteed interviews next year to unaccepted applicants since most people off the WL either get an offer to Mac or another school, I don't think this trend is true this year. First, only 70-76% of the top 100 get an offer of admission, so those are 30 applicants that are automatically accepted who would have done quite below average on the MMI (enough to offset a combination of high GPA + CARS). It is very possible that these same applicants may have gotten interviews at other schools because of their stats, but they would not have performed well at those interviews either. Thus, Mac is their only offer, and they automatically get a spot which they have to accept.

Now for the rest of the Mac spots, I personally know a few people who honestly would not have performed well in the MMI but who received a spot from the lottery. That doesn't mean that they will be poor physicians, but I know that they are not strong at interviews. They received an offer from Mac immediately off the lottery or off the waitlist, and they were rejected from other schools they interviewed at (or they only had a Mac interview). Because of these two ways in which applicants who would have underperformed at the MMI have now received offers to Mac that they must accept, the waitlist movement was lower this year.

I do think that the lottery selection process screwed over several people, and I really feel for all of you. You have the right to feel upset and frustrated from this process. Try to channel this frustration into motivation that pushes you to be the best you can be for next year's interview. Show Mac what they are missing out on.

Again, I think Mac is a great school that produces terrific doctors, but I think the lottery selection was the wrong way to go.

Is anybody else struggling with what to do for the year because masters programs are 2 years? I have 2 supervisors who have offered to have me as a grad student, but I can’t really accept because of the interview next spring. I wouldn’t want to jump ship on my Pi halfway through my degree. Just wondered if anyone had the same situation/any thoughts. 

6 minutes ago, SBrown said:

Is anybody else struggling with what to do for the year because masters programs are 2 years? I have 2 supervisors who have offered to have me as a grad student, but I can’t really accept because of the interview next spring. I wouldn’t want to jump ship on my Pi halfway through my degree. Just wondered if anyone had the same situation/any thoughts. 

You could be eligible to defer your Mac offer for a year if you were successful next year and finish out the year with your PI. I think that they would likely have some flexibility given the circumstances of how it all came about.  Def keep moving forward with your life/academic career. 

On 6/12/2020 at 4:06 PM, SBrown said: