Premed 101 Forums

2020 Waitlist Thread

6 minutes ago, klj.klnmk,mn said:

I wonder if we are on a waitlist if someone from SAI rejects their offer. When I emailed, they said that I would be on the SAI list and once they are filled, I am in the general stream waitlist. 

Just curious to know if we are on another list on top of the WL

Yeah that would be nice though idk if there'll be much movement given SAI is only 2 seats haha but one can hope!

Do you think many people received waitlist offers on Friday (similar to the data in the spreadsheet from 2019) or do we think they're just doing a few each day?I just want to conceptualize how large the real waitlist may be given our data only represents a small subset of applicants--want to see if there is any hope for me being around the middle of our list LOL

According to their website the 2019 application cycle had 576 interviewees. If they admit 169 students (in total) in wave 1 (May 12th) that leaves 407 for waitlisting. 

The spreadsheet has ~62 people on the good waitlist, 5 on the bad. If you add the French waitlist (10 people). We're at almost 20% of the possible totals, which likely skews towards people saying they're on the good waitlist. That includes people who have other offers/withdrawn from the list. 

Now, people on the good waitlist are probably the most likely to post, they have a vested interest in knowing their spot. As such, there are probably a bunch more people on the bad waitlist that are not represented than there are on the good waitlist. It wouldn't surprise me to see a bunch of movement next week, which will provide an insight on how close the spreadsheet is to the actual waitlist. 

I think we WILL see a lot of movement, but I’m not sure if it’ll be next week. Everyone with offers still have 1 1/2 weeks to accept. We might see a trickle of movement until then, but I doubt they would massively send out offers unless most people have firmly confirmed/declined at this point (which is unlikely). I think if we don’t see a lot of movement next week we shouldn’t be worried!

6 hours ago, newmy88 said:

I think we WILL see a lot of movement, but I’m not sure if it’ll be next week. Everyone with offers still have 1 1/2 weeks to accept. We might see a trickle of movement until then, but I doubt they would massively send out offers unless most people have firmly confirmed/declined at this point (which is unlikely). I think if we don’t see a lot of movement next week we shouldn’t be worried!

But nothing can stop me from worrying :confused:

I feel like a lot of people might not share their data because of privacy issues — I wish there was a way (maybe an anonymous form) to submit GPA and and timestamp (without the seconds) and so we could order In terms of decreasing GPA — I am just a bit worried and my thoughts are all over the place so Idk if it makes sense lol

15 minutes ago, greysweater said:

Keep in mind that the 2023 Facebook group has 434 members (which is almost 3x the class size). I don't think its a very good indicator

I heard somewhere that this year they are being stricter about only letting in people who are actually part of the 2024 class. So it might be different than last year. Or am I just turning neurotic? Idk anymore LOL 

1 hour ago, askingforforgiveness said:

I feel like a lot of people might not share their data because of privacy issues — I wish there was a way (maybe an anonymous form) to submit GPA and and timestamp (without the seconds) and so we could order In terms of decreasing GPA — I am just a bit worried and my thoughts are all over the place so Idk if it makes sense lol

i wouldn’t imagine any kind of privacy issues with this but i get what you’re saying.

if there are people who were worried they could simply say whether or not their stats match the theory (eg, yes or no). it’s better than nothing.

if they wanted to be more informative then they easily post a GPA range (e.g. 4.0-3.95) and a time stamp range (eg, minute of 7:38) and still maintain anonymity 

29 minutes ago, pinkneuron said:

I heard somewhere that this year they are being stricter about only letting in people who are actually part of the 2024 class. So it might be different than last year. Or am I just turning neurotic? Idk anymore LOL 

Most class groups include admin and students from all years (mentors, student councils etc) so I wouldn't worry about that number yet! 

6 hours ago, nsa98 said:

Most class groups include admin and students from all years (mentors, student councils etc) so I wouldn't worry about that number yet! 

I've been checking the FB group size time to time and I feel like it would mostly be the incoming students with a small percentage from upper years/mentors/whoever during these first few weeks bc of excitement. If I was a incoming student I'd also immediately join the FB group but admin etc would care a little less and would probably join later on. Tbh if I think the class is mostly full it helps me to move on expecting very little waitlist movement and get started on MCAT studying... RIP hope I'm wrong about this.

For the Facebook group, there's about 19 admins, the rest are all incoming first years! As of today, the group has around 102 students (a few of them have still not decided if they will actually accept Ottawa over other schools). So 102-19 = 83 which is about half of the class, which make sense as the other half of the class comes from the waitlist. Of course, some admitted students might not know about the Facebook group but I believe that there's still spots available as of now :)

How do you think the waitlist works? 

looking through past threads, it seems like the lower end of the GPA don’t get called out. 

do you think it’s divided up into 4 bins according to interview scores and they go down according to descending GPA (maybe 3.9) and then jump to the second bin OR do you think they go all way down the bin from the highest to lowest then to the next bin? 

16 hours ago, pinkneuron said:

Where did you hear that from?

23 minutes ago, littleduck said:

Where did you hear that from?

I can confirm that they are not letting upper years med students in the Facebook group until end of July/beginning of August! The only med students in the group that are not MD 2024 are the 19 admins. Hope that answers your questions!

22 hours ago, klj.klnmk,mn said:

I have a feeling that the offer(s) that went out the other day was a unique situation rather than the new norm. This has never happened before and I think they will wait until the deadline to make a decision. I just haven't seen this happen at any school (I think only dentistry) but none in Ontario. Has anyone seen this happen before? I could be wrong. I'm not a good lurker on here but I really think the next round will be consistent with previous years around May 28-29.

I'm sort of with you on this. I believe Mac will start sending out wait-list offers before the two weeks? It would make most sense for Ottawa to fill the seats as soon as they become available since they would be able to reach out to people higher on their rank list before said people accept other offers/are accepted off of other waitlists (if they do have multiple options). I guess we will know for sure tomorrow - I feel like it could go either way.

3 hours ago, Bleuet said:

I can confirm that they are not letting upper years med students in the Facebook group until end of July/beginning of August! The only med students in the group that are not MD 2024 are the 19 admins. Hope that answers your questions!

I just want to thank you for your comments, it does in fact give us hope! Out of the 100 or so on the group, 19 are admin and I assume some are also french stream? So it might indicate more than half the spots for EN are not filled yet. I presume the ones that are still joining might be choosing between multiple offers (both for FR and EN streams) and would be increasing little by little each day. I just have to hope that even if some are choosing Ottawa > Mac, there will be more people wanting to stay closer to home during a pandemic and might choose Mac/UofT/Western > Ottawa if they're from GTA. So maybe it'll still be similar to previous years WL movement even with recent controversies.

On 5/16/2020 at 6:35 PM, MedicineLCS said:

According to their website the 2019 application cycle had 576 interviewees. If they admit 169 students (in total) in wave 1 (May 12th) that leaves 407 for waitlisting. 

The spreadsheet has ~62 people on the good waitlist, 5 on the bad. If you add the French waitlist (10 people). We're at almost 20% of the possible totals, which likely skews towards people saying they're on the good waitlist. That includes people who have other offers/withdrawn from the list. 

Now, people on the good waitlist are probably the most likely to post, they have a vested interest in knowing their spot. As such, there are probably a bunch more people on the bad waitlist that are not represented than there are on the good waitlist. It wouldn't surprise me to see a bunch of movement next week, which will provide an insight on how close the spreadsheet is to the actual waitlist. 

How do you know if you are on the good waitlist 

The lottery controversy at Mac bears minimal effect on education quality presented to the student, whoever that student may be. Mac will still enjoy its ranking near the top of medical schools, and its students will continue to acquire experiences and network opportunities in consideration of future carms matching.

6 minutes ago, Left Line said:

The lottery controversy at Mac bears minimal effect on education quality presented to the student, whoever that student may be. Mac will still enjoy its ranking near the top of medical schools, and its students will continue to acquire experiences and network opportunities in consideration of future carms matching.

wrong group buddy

31 minutes ago, WuhanClan said:

I just want to thank you for your comments, it does in fact give us hope! Out of the 100 or so on the group, 19 are admin and I assume some are also french stream? So it might indicate more than half the spots for EN are not filled yet. I presume the ones that are still joining might be choosing between multiple offers (both for FR and EN streams) and would be increasing little by little each day. I just have to hope that even if some are choosing Ottawa > Mac, there will be more people wanting to stay closer to home during a pandemic and might choose Mac/UofT/Western > Ottawa if they're from GTA. So maybe it'll still be similar to previous years WL movement even with recent controversies.

Sorry, I was responding to the controversy comment.