Premed 101 Forums

2020 Waitlist Thread

I would suggest that trying to use the Facebook group as a proxy for waitlist offers is a bad idea and leads to unnecessary anxiety.

There are many reasons the group could go up (or, conversely, not actually reflect the class size, how many people in ~160 are not on Facebook? We don't know). 

Personally, I'm spending the time trying to find productive things to do to keep my mind of the waitlist. If I get in, I get in. If I don't, follow through on the backup plan and reapply. 

1 hour ago, MedicineLCS said:

I would suggest that trying to use the Facebook group as a proxy for waitlist offers is a bad idea and leads to unnecessary anxiety.

There are many reasons the group could go up (or, conversely, not actually reflect the class size, how many people in ~160 are not on Facebook? We don't know). 

Personally, I'm spending the time trying to find productive things to do to keep my mind of the waitlist. If I get in, I get in. If I don't, follow through on the backup plan and reapply. 

It's a PM101 waitlist thread what do you expect lol. We're already using this forum as a way to estimate individual WL ranking so we've already established how neurotic it gets :P. But in all seriousness you have the right mindset to go through the wait calmly.

I'd need hear something like the admins just accept without checking for an offer to believe the number will rise and it doesn't indicate WL movement. But if that's the case then yeah I would probably think the numbers are more bloated than already indicated and not think too much of them.

5 hours ago, WhiteChocolate&Caramel said:

So there seems to be 117 people in the FB group now. I don't think they are letting upper years join the group at the moment. 

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think there are 19 admins as the emails of those individuals are just included in the group as contacts. I think there are the 7 who created the group. If that's true, then this year's waitlist movement (just 54) seems to be a lot less compared to other years. 

Any other insights? I am hoping that I am wrong.

Hey, just to clarify the situation, the Facebook group includes the 19 members of the medical school student council (Aesculapian Society). Only 7 of the 19 were made admins and the rest are regular members of the Facebook group!

Some people are still making up their mind and joined the group in order to get more info!

Let me know if you have any other questions :)

4 minutes ago, Bleuet said:

Hey, just to clarify the situation, the Facebook group includes the 19 members of the medical school student council (Aesculapian Society). Only 7 of the 19 were made admins and the rest are regular members of the Facebook group!

Some people are still making up their mind and joined the group in order to get more info!

You are my favorite person in the world right now, thank you

23 minutes ago, Bleuet said:

I’m curious - do you know how many are English versus French in the group? If not totally okay!! Just thought I’d ask :) 

9 minutes ago, newmy88 said:

I’m curious - do you know how many are English versus French in the group? If not totally okay!! Just thought I’d ask :) 

There is no absolute way to know for sure who could be in the French stream vs English stream but I can try to make a count based on educated guess.

I'll get back to you by the end of Friday, as I have my final exam Friday morning and doing the count could take a little bit haha! 

I know you are all going through a roller coaster of emotions right now and I truly wish I could give you more info to ease your mind a little! 

I'll do my best to come up with an approximate answer :)

1 minute ago, Bleuet said:

There is no absolute way to know for sure who could be in the French stream vs English stream but I can try to make a count based on educated guess.

I'll get back to you by the end of Friday, as I have my final exam Friday morning and doing the count could take a little bit haha! 

I know you are all going through a roller coaster of emotions right now and I truly wish I could give you more info to ease your mind a little! 

I'll do my best to come up with an approximate answer :)

You will make an amazing doctor. So were there no waitlist offers today then?

9 minutes ago, CSC said:

How many people usually get off the waitlist (french stream) based on previous years? :) Thanks guys! 

Hello CSC :) Based on the information I have from previous years and from people in my class (I am in the French stream), I would say between 7 and 10 but this can vary a lot every year!

4 hours ago, Bleuet said:

Would you be able to link the FB group or simply let me know it's name? I'm not able to find it when I search for it!

1 hour ago, MD_endgame said:

Wanted to update everyone that I heard back yesterday around 5pm! I've sort of been in disbelief for the past 24 hours but super excited!!!

Really hoping everyone here hears some positive news soon :D You have all been so supportive and will all make amazing doctors one day - don't give up :)

Turns out this timestamp theory is actually true! Really hoping someone from the French stream gets called off the list tomorrow!

1 hour ago, MD_endgame said:

Wanted to update everyone that I heard back yesterday around 5pm! I've sort of been in disbelief for the past 24 hours but super excited!!!

Really hoping everyone here hears some positive news soon :D You have all been so supportive and will all make amazing doctors one day - don't give up :)

Congrats! You're in the Endgame now :) Will you be accepting Ottawa or waiting to see if you hear back from Mac?

44 minutes ago, WuhanClan said:

Why do you say that? But also yeah I'm accepting that I'll most likely have to go through this process next year. Man my references must hate me now.

Your references will most certainly not hate you :) The fact that you got an interview is an amazing accomplishment on its own, and I am sure they will support you because you're SO close! You even got good waitlisted! And you never know about this year either, it's way too early to tell... don't give up!

9 hours ago, WuhanClan said:

Why do you say that? But also yeah I'm accepting that I'll most likely have to go through this process next year. Man my references must hate me now.

Don't say that yet - it is so early !! I'm after you in timestamp order and I still have SOME (albeit slim) hope!!!! If by 30th i haven't heard that is when my hope will start to diminish ahha

15 minutes ago, sadhappy said:

Don't say that yet - it is so early !! I'm after you in timestamp order and I still have SOME (albeit slim) hope!!!! If by 30th i haven't heard that is when my hope will start to diminish ahha

Yeah guys, the deadline to accept offers hasn't even passed yet!! Really not the time to give up hope. I would say stay cautiously optimistic until ~ mid June at least!

I'm confident we are only seeing small trickles in the waitlist movement right now and the tsunami of waitlist acceptances has NOT hit yet!