Premed 101 Forums

2020 Waitlist Thread

1 minute ago, WuhanClan said:

I think you're very high on the WL, you'll hear from them soon! Do you think they send all the WL offers at the same time or would they only do a handful at a time?

I'm not too sure - I think they may be done for the day though since I think they usually send all at one time. I'm really worried since both my timestamp and GPA have been passed now. Should I send an email to inquire? Perhaps I'm not receiving the email correctly?

1 minute ago, ApplyingMD said:

I'm not too sure - I think they may be done for the day though since I think they usually send all at one time. I'm really worried since both my timestamp and GPA have been passed now. Should I send an email to inquire? Perhaps I'm not receiving the email correctly?

I definitely would NOT send them an email saying something to the effect of "You missed my timestamp, where's my offer?". What you could do is email them to ask to confirm that you're on the waitlist since you're having difficulties with your email account/something like that. It's not tampering/begging, but it answers the question. 

5 minutes ago, pinkneuron said:

Got off the waitlist guys! My gpa is 3.95 and my waitlist email was created at 7:39 am. This thread has been so instrumental in keeping me sane, I cannot believe the amount of support we have provided for each other through the interwebz. I love you guys T_T I hope you all get in <3 

Congrats on your acceptance! Do you mind sharing when you got your email today? I'm trying to see if there was a big wave at 11:47ish or if its rolling and I should keep refreshing my email every 2s lol

Long time lurker, thank you everyone for your contributions and dedication to this thread. Off waitlist today at 11:50AM.

Original waitlist timestamp: 7:39:25

Stream: English

wGPA: 3.95

Geo: IP

EDIT: This was my 5th time applying, and my 4th time interviewing - needless to say, keep your heads held high and eyes on the prize. It will come! Will likely accept unless i get off U of T waitlist - will definitely keep you updated. All the best to you guys!

2 minutes ago, WuhanClan said:

Congrats on your acceptance! Do you mind sharing when you got your email today? I'm trying to see if there was a big wave at 11:47ish or if its rolling and I should keep refreshing my email every 2s lol

I got it a bit after 11:47! It seems to be rolling, I hope this helps :)

I'm so lost... I have been the only one to be skipped here and it is so disheartening. Congratulations to everyone accepted, you truly deserve it and I mean that! I just don't know why I haven't received anything? I'm still finishing up a course but it will be completed before the deadline - this couldn't be a factor could it? I am set to meet all requirements by the required date.

1 minute ago, ApplyingMD said:

I'm so lost... I have been the only one to be skipped here and it is so disheartening. Congratulations to everyone accepted, you truly deserve it and I mean that! I just don't know why I haven't received anything? I'm still finishing up a course but it will be completed before the deadline - this couldn't be a factor could it? I am set to meet all requirements by the required date.

I know it must be stressful but when the first round of waitlist acceptances were sent out people were skipped, and then they got the offer later. The gaps were filled in so maybe the scenario is the same for you! Do not get disheartened your time and gpa are both excellent.

2 minutes ago, zackattack881 said:

Wow! Congrats, so they skipped a bunch of ppl and jumped right to the 11:47 timestamp?

Sorry for the confusion, my waitlist email was created at 7:39 am and my acceptance off of the waitlist email was after 11:47 am! Hope I didn't add any unnecessary stress ahhh my bad if my post was confusing!!

For everyone about to jump on the "It's over" train again, 14 people have posted waitlist offers. You could probably add 4 more presumable offers to that (filling in the gaps with less active users). There are ~80 people on the English goodwaitlist spreadsheet, so even if you assume that posts here represent half of the actual number of waitlist offers (a 160 person good waitlist), there are still spots left. Last year there was still a fair amount of movement into early June, so just keep holding on! They only seem to send offers once a day, every couple of days, so I'd imagine those in the 7:39 and 7:41 range will see something soon. 

3 minutes ago, MedicineLCS said:

For everyone about to jump on the "It's over" train again, 14 people have posted waitlist offers. You could probably add 4 more presumable offers to that (filling in the gaps with less active users). There are ~80 people on the English goodwaitlist spreadsheet, so even if you assume that posts here represent half of the actual number of waitlist offers (a 160 person good waitlist), there are still spots left. Last year there was still a fair amount of movement into early June, so just keep holding on! They only seem to send offers once a day, every couple of days, so I'd imagine those in the 7:39 and 7:41 range will see something soon. 

Just wanted to say thank you for always being the voice of reason and calming everyone down :wub:

8 minutes ago, MedicineLCS said:

Thank you! This is very helpful! But how can we be certain timestamp is 100% accurate? I mean it seems like my timestamp has been lost and forgotten. 

7 minutes ago, MedicineLCS said:

Thank you for calming everyone down <3, can the early 7:45s lose hope now? (There’s a huge break in our data between 7:42-7:45 :S) 

23 minutes ago, ApplyingMD said:

Thank you! This is very helpful! But how can we be certain timestamp is 100% accurate? I mean it seems like my timestamp has been lost and forgotten. 

This is why (my spreadsheet):

Time GPA Off waitlist? Time off waitlist?
7:37:09 3.98 Yes May 15th
7:37:15 3.99 Yes May 15th
7:37:20 3.975 Yes May 19th
7:37:27 3.98 Yes May 19th
7:37:29 3.97 Yes May 26th
7:37:34 3.96 Yes May 21st
7:37:37 3.98 Yes May 21st
7:37:38 AM 3.97 Yes May 21st
7:37:40 3.97    
7:37:40 AM 3.969 Yes May 26th
7:38:59 3.965 Yes May 26th
7:39:00 3.963 Presumably  
7:39:00 3.95 Yes May 28th
7:39:00 3.96 Presumably  
7:39:03 3.96 Yes May 28th
7:39:08 3.958 Yes May 28th
7:39:25 3.95 Yes May 28th

It's far from linear, and you don't know how many people are getting offers and not posting, but the pattern is there. Sometimes it jumps back, but for the most part, it follows the pattern. I'm not sure why you're the exception, but as I noted, it's not linear, and in the past, they sent out a second big wave a couple days after May 29th (last year's equivalent of today's movement). If you look at last years thread, we're actually right up to where they were last year in terms of the GPAs getting pulled from the top bin, and they had a wave in early June, then a trickle. 

23 minutes ago, Borat Sagdiyev said:

Thank you for calming everyone down <3, can the early 7:45s lose hope now? (There’s a huge break in our data between 7:42-7:45 :S) 

This is a touchy subject with a lot of speculation. My most pessimistic guess (assuming only 54 English waitlist offers, 2.5 times as many offers in actuality vs those posted here) says we stop at about 7:39:31. We're almost there, so that doesn't look realistic. If we adjust to 2 times as many offers in actuality we make it to about 7:41:30. Now if you assume more than 54 English waitlist offers (which seems fair based off what Bluet said the other day about how the French waitlist doesn't move as much) we could make it into the 7:42/7:45 range. School to school waitlist comparisons are faulty at their core, but let's not miss that Queens (with ~88 seats) has 74-98 offer rejections a year. It definitely seems that the English pool drives up the waitlist numbers. 

The key thing to remember is this: It's not over until it's over, while at the same time, I wouldn't be getting my hopes up based off a spreadsheet built off self-reported data and many assumptions. 

The second key thing to remember is that you're timestamp is less important than your relative position. More people have "rejected" the waitlist than received waitlist offers, and many of those people are in the 7:39-7:40 range. And as just noted, there are no timestamps between 7:42:13 and 7:45:00. The time stamp system is imperfect, so while no one (even someone at 7:39:30) should be planning their move to Ottawa, there is still plenty of hope. If you look at last year we're right around where they were, and then they had another wave in June. Personally, the minute I hit submit on my OMSAS application last October I started preparing to reapply. It's not over yet, but we shouldn't get our hopes up.