Premed 101 Forums

2020 Waitlist Thread

1 minute ago, klj.klnmk,mn said:

Hmm you have a really high wGPA but the timestamp is the same as mine and I have 3.855. 

Really not sure what to make of this theory thing :(

I received my waitlist before 7am and I have a similar GPA to yours, I wouldn’t be surprised if they just randomly send out the waitlist spots regardless of standing, or if it is based on OMSAS number or something 

11 minutes ago, bdelx said:

Stream (EN/FR): English
Time You Received E-mail: 5:40 AM*
"Created" Time: I’m on outlook but I’m not sure when it was truly created.
wGPA: 3.88

* I reside in Manitoba, which means I am an hour behind Ontario or Quebec. Therefore, I’m guessing it was actually sent at 6:40. 

I don’t know how to tell if I’m on the Good or Bad waitlist, but I received the same message as what was posted on this thread by others. I think it might be “good”? 

Are you sure you don’t mean 7:40? This is well before anyone I’ve seen receive their email.

9 minutes ago, mdhopefullyidk said:

Are you sure you don’t mean 7:40? This is well before anyone I’ve seen receive their email.

I mean, the email is dated 5:40AM in my Manitoba timezone. Assuming it was sent from Ontario, it would be 6:40. But who knows, it could just be a fluke? If these waitlist emails were sent in an automated fashion, mine could've been programmed wrong and sent early. This is what the sending info says :):

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 11.21.04 AM.png

16 minutes ago, bdelx said:

I mean, the email is dated 5:40AM in my Manitoba timezone. Assuming it was sent from Ontario, it would be 6:40. But who knows, it could just be a fluke? If these waitlist emails were sent in an automated fashion, mine could've been programmed wrong and sent early. This is what the sending info says :):

Wow! Or maybe you are #1 on the waitlist haha 

18 minutes ago, bdelx said:

Hey the first post on the forum shows how you can possibly check the specific time stamp but regardless seems you're in the good waitlist possibly! 

Hey guys,

Just made a new account so I could post. I had two questions: 1) How confident are we that the timestamps actually correlate to waitlist spots? I skimmed over previous waitlist threads and saw a couple of individuals claiming that it was irrelevant. 2) Do we know how many people are waitlisted? I know around 80 will get accepted, 

Thanks guys, may the luck be with us :( 

1 minute ago, TylenolExtraStrength said:

Hey guys,

Just made a new account so I could post. I had two questions: 1) How confident are we that the timestamps actually correlate to waitlist spots? I skimmed over previous waitlist threads and saw a couple of individuals claiming that it was irrelevant. 2) Do we know how many people are waitlisted? I know around 80 will get accepted, 

Thanks guys, may the luck be with us :( 

Not confident at all about the timestamps haha, seem to correlate with GPA (and possibly "binned" interview performance), though it's all just trying to draw out patterns...definitely could mean absolutely nothing lol

4 minutes ago, Dr. Shqipe said:

Not confident at all about the timestamps haha, seem to correlate with GPA (and possibly "binned" interview performance), though it's all just trying to draw out patterns...definitely could mean absolutely nothing lol

Hmm. Also, does anyone know how many people are usually left on the good waitlist with no offers by the end of the cycle? 

As someone who got off the waitlist last year, I do think timestamps matter for order. I had a very early timestamp and got an offer in the first wave. I also think that the bin theory is correct. They rank you based on interview performance and then GPA within these bins. You can see that based on the timestamp order going in GPA descending order and then when someone has 4.00 that marks the start of a new bin. At least last year they definitely did. But I don't think it's worth worrying about, because you still don't know how many people are ahead of you and how much time was between emails. The waitlist moves a lot, so don't consider it over for yourself yet if you got a "good" waitlist email. 

Not sure if this helps or just makes people more nervous. At least when I was on the list, I was comforted by my earlier timestamp. 

2 minutes ago, bins said:

As someone who got off the waitlist last year, I do think timestamps matter for order. I had a very early timestamp and got an offer in the first wave. I also think that the bin theory is correct. They rank you based on interview performance and then GPA within these bins. You can see that based on the timestamp order going in GPA descending order and then when someone has 4.00 that marks the start of a new bin. At least last year they definitely did. But I don't think it's worth worrying about, because you still don't know how many people are ahead of you and how much time was between emails. The waitlist moves a lot, so don't consider it over for yourself yet if you got a "good" waitlist email. 

Not sure if this helps or just makes people more nervous. At least when I was on the list, I was comforted by my earlier timestamp. 

thank you Bins for your insight on bins!

@bins Thanks for the info, I hope that the first 4.0 I saw after me marks the second bin. Do you know if anyone in the second bin got an offer last year?

Also general: does anything have this deep worry that those that got Mac AND Ottawa will just pic Ottawa more than prev years (e.g. those that ranked Mac > Ottawa until the lottery are now Ottawa > Mac) and the waitlist will move a lot less? :(

5 minutes ago, WuhanClan said:

@bins Thanks for the info, I hope that the first 4.0 I saw after me marks the second bin. Do you know if anyone in the second bin got an offer last year?

Also general: does anything have this deep worry that those that got Mac AND Ottawa will just pic Ottawa more than prev years (e.g. those that ranked Mac > Ottawa until the lottery are now Ottawa > Mac) and the waitlist will move a lot less? :(

I agree with this, I’ve discussed this with a few people and they are on the same page! However some people may stick with Mac for personal reasons like being close to home so we will really never know:( 

3 minutes ago, TheStern said:

To possibly ease some anxieties a tiny bit: I was "good" waitlisted and will be removing myself from the waitlist

Just now, BSLM13 said:

Same here!

As someone with only Ottawa and am hoping for a miracle, I really appreciate knowing. Would you two bearers of good news possibly reveal your email timestamp :) You can PM me if you don't want to publicize it and are willing to share.