Premed 101 Forums

2020 Waitlist Thread

2 minutes ago, WuhanClan said:

As someone with only Ottawa and am hoping for a miracle, I really appreciate knowing. Would you two bearers of good news possibly reveal your email timestamp :) You can PM me if you don't want to publicize it and are willing to share.

7:39 AM (I think it was good waitlist at least?)

1 minute ago, WuhanClan said:

As someone with only Ottawa and am hoping for a miracle, I really appreciate knowing. Would you two bearers of good news possibly reveal your email timestamp :) You can PM me if you don't want to publicize it and are willing to share.

Stream (EN/FR): EN (IP)
Time You Received E-mail: 7:45 AM
"Created" Time: Nothing shows up for this...
wGPA: 3.94

7 minutes ago, waitingontheworld said:

Does Ottawa use the gpa listed on OMSAS or the one on their website (the weighted gpa of final three years)? I've read mixed answers. I screen-shotted this from their website:

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 2.47.14 PM.png

they use the weighted gpa as long as you have the required full-time course load (normally 5 courses, but 4 courses is allowed if you have summer courses or extra courses in other years -- you can see more about it here:D

What is this good vs bad waitlist lol? Howwww do people know? 

This is my email (nowhere does it mention a good or bad waitlist...): 

Your application for admission to the Faculty of Medicine for the academic year 2020-2021 was carefully considered by the Admissions Committee.  At the present time, offers have been made for admission in the Anglophone stream to the top one-hundred and sixteen (116) candidates on the list of excellence.

Your name has been placed on a waiting list.  You will be notified by telephone or by e-mail communication if your name appears at the top of the list, should a vacancy occur before September. 

Candidates on the waiting list will be notified by e-mail as soon as the class is filled.

Although the sequential order of the waiting list does not change, rankings will change on a daily basis as students confirm acceptances.  For this reason, candidates are requested not to contact our office for their ranking position since this information cannot be given.

If you are offered admission to another medical school (outside the province) and wish to withdraw your name from our list, please advise us in writing or by e-mail.

On 5/12/2020 at 2:10 PM, TrustTheProcess21 said:

Stream (EN/FR): FR
Time You Received E-mail: 7:25
"Created" Time: 7:25:47

wGPA : 3.97

Let's get more data from the French stream!

I think the bin theory is accurate. I thought my email was created at 7:25:01 but actually, the second meant the time to deliver it. 

My email was actually created at 7:25:48, so I am just below you. My GPA is also just below yours : 3,96 and yours is 3,97. 

We just don't know if we actually are in a good bin (aaaahhh I wish we had ranks :()... But I did not saw posts of WL before that time for the french stream. I know some people who received it at 7:26, though. 

On tient bon ! Je prie ! :wub:

1 minute ago, DrHopes said:

I think the bin theory is accurate. I thought my email was created at 7:25:01 but actually, this is the time I received it. 

My email was actually created at 7:25:48, so I am just below you. My GPA is also just below yours : 3,96 and yours is 3,97. 

We just don't know if we actually are in a good bin (aaaahhh I wish we had ranks :()... But I did not saw posts of WL before that time for the french stream. I know some people who received it at 7:26, though. 

On tient bon ! Je prie ! :wub:

I think you may have made a mistake in your times. It seems like you received the email 47 seconds before it was even created ha.

Just some quick, neurotic pre-med, back of the napkin math:

*While staying conservative in assumptions

~570 students interviewed

~480 for English (Assumption: About 45 spots for french, so 90 interviews. Perhaps this on the low side, but there are bilingual people)

116 Accepted outright into English

~ 170 students put on "Good Waitlist" in Total (Assumption: If you're more than 2x past the usual rank accepted off the waitlist, I would think they sent you a bad waitlist email)

~140 students on "Good Waitlist" in English? (Assumption: Among the 45 spots for French, estimate 30% is accepted from waitlist, so 30 French wait-listers)

~65 students accepted off waitlist into English stream

So far we have 25 responses. This would be a response rate in this thread of 1/7 if my math is correct. This seems rather reasonable, perhaps on the low-end if anything. 

2 minutes ago, BingBop said:

Just some quick neurotic pre-med back of the napkin math:

*While staying conservative in assumptions

~570 students interviewed

~480 for English

116 Accepted Outright

~ 160 students put on "Good Waitlist" (Assumption: If you're more than 2x past the usual rank accepted off the waitlist, I would think they sent you a bad waitlist email)

~80 students accepted off waitlist

So far we have 25 responses. This would be a response rate of 1/6.5 if my math is correct. This seems rather reasonable. 

Where did you get the 160 waitlist number from