Premed 101 Forums

2020 Waitlist Thread

4 minutes ago, here4mydaughter said:

Here is the exact working.  She forwarded the email to me.

Your application for admission to the Faculty of Medicine for the academic year 2020-2021 was carefully considered by the Admissions Committee.  At the present time, offers have been made for admission in the Anglophone stream to the top one-hundred and sixteen (116) candidates on the list of excellence.

Your name has been placed on a waiting list.  You will be notified by telephone or by e-mail communication if your name appears at the top of the list, should a vacancy occur before September.

Candidates on the waiting list will be notified by e-mail as soon as the class is filled.

Although the sequential order of the waiting list does not change, rankings will change on a daily basis as students confirm acceptances.  For this reason, candidates are requested not to contact our office for their ranking position since this information cannot be given.

If you are offered admission to another medical school (outside the province) and wish to withdraw your name from our list, please advise us in writing or by e-mail.

so she did not get the bad email. At this point u can remain cautiously hopeful. 

hopefully u hear some good news in 2 weeks

20 hours ago, ApplyingMD said:

By this logic, however, would the start of the second bin not be at 7:41am when the GPA jumps to 4.00 again? And then from there it would fall gradually until another 4.00, etc.?

I actually think this is very possible. We do know that bins are first categorized by the individuals interview score: Bin 1: 4, Bin 2: 3.5 Bin 3: 3.0...etc. Within each bin, you are then ranked by GPA. Highest GPAs are obvs ranked the highest when everyone is "tied" based on their respective interview scores. 

I find it hard to beleive that 1 minute segregates two different bins. Unless a computer did it manually LOL

Hi Guys, 

I am just wondering if the bin method is accurate, or if it is just by timestamps. If the bin method is true, then we would expect to see people with higher GPAs get in if they share a similar timestamp with another person.

Based on a quick view of the previous years, that does not seem to be the case. Any insights?

40 minutes ago, klj.klnmk,mn said:

I think after you are categorized in bins and offers are sent out, the list is just one big list in order of interview score + wGPA, not necessarily a list within bins (like they don't have different docs with a list and each doc is a "bin" kind of thing). Technically, there are still bins but it is just 1 big list after the initial offers are sent out. 

But we will see this year if this theory is true because every other year, there was only 2 timestamps and no one really posted that much details / info in comparison to what we have this year. We actually can visualize the data and see. So if someone from the top of our list comes off of the waitlist, then the offers move down the list, then maybe the theory holds true - but we will never know to be honest. :( 

I think the program they use to even send out the e-mail imports our information from an excel spread sheet that has all our information (name, OMSAS #, address) but the way we are listed is our rank. 

yeah from previous years it does seem like it's the first two time stamps but i think their timestamps were much closer (bunched than ours). I find ours to be more spread out 37, 39, 41 etc. from last year it seemed that when they got to the 3.95 category of the first bin they were still at the first time stamp where as ours falls more into the 39 category (second time stamp). It's just an observation/ thought though haha.

1 hour ago, klj.klnmk,mn said:

I think after you are categorized in bins and offers are sent out, the list is just one big list in order of interview score + wGPA, not necessarily a list within bins (like they don't have different docs with a list and each doc is a "bin" kind of thing). Technically, there are still bins but it is just 1 big list after the initial offers are sent out. 

But we will see this year if this theory is true because every other year, there was only 2 timestamps and no one really posted that much details / info in comparison to what we have this year. We actually can visualize the data and see. So if someone from the top of our list comes off of the waitlist, then the offers move down the list, then maybe the theory holds true - but we will never know to be honest. :( 

I think the program they use to even send out the e-mail imports our information from an excel spread sheet that has all our information (name, OMSAS #, address) but the way we are listed is our rank. 

I agree with you on this one, this seems much more plausible

I also created an excel sheet... Added the people who were accepted/good waitlisted/bad waitlisted organized by time. I compiled this from the Accepted/Rejected/Waitlist thread, the Interview 2020 thread, and the Waitlist 2020 thread. Red means that they are declining their offer or removing themselves from the waitlist. This account for 75 of us!

(got rid of attachment to free up space)

14 minutes ago, newmy88 said:

I also created an excel sheet... Added the people who were accepted/good waitlisted/bad waitlisted organized by time. I compiled this from the Accepted/Rejected/Waitlist thread, the Interview 2020 thread, and the Waitlist 2020 thread. Red means that they are declining their offer or removing themselves from the waitlist. This account for 75 of us!

Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 1.55.04 PM.jpg

idk how big of a deal this is because I may decide to accept but as of right now I have not decided!

To add a little hope to everyone, the spreadsheet is great, but missing a bunch of people who have other offers due before the waitlist moves.

Some sleuthing tells me that 5 (out of 23) people above me in the waitlist have other offers not shown in the original spreadsheet. If you kept going down I'm sure you'd find some similar numbers. Let's not lose hope, don't worry if you're at spot 40 in the list! 

EDIT: I also wouldn't read too much into your relative time differences. WuhanClan and I have essentially identically GPAs (slightly different) and we're one second apart. If they sent a waitlist email every second they'd be up to 240 people by 7:40, so the gaps may not mean much for guessing how many people are not shown on the spreadsheet. 

23 minutes ago, littleduck said:

Hello! @newmy88 I think you may have been mistaken! I am still planning to be on the waitlist for ottawa I will not be removing myself from the waitlist! sorry for the mixup! awesome excel sheet!

Sorry about that!!! Not sure what happened :P I’ll update the spreadsheet :)

42 minutes ago, brokenwings said:

idk how big of a deal this is because I may decide to accept but as of right now I have not decided!

Sorry about that!! Not sure where I got the idea from. I’ll update the list until you’ve decided :) thanks for letting us know!!

6 hours ago, newmy88 said:

Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 1.55.04 PM.jpg

I've accepted another offer, but I thought I would add my stats for those waiting! Time 7:39:25, GPA 3.95