Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

Honestly one of my favourite parts of being here (c2022). I was nervous commuting, and that I would find it tough meeting people. It was so wrong. I think within the first month I knew 80% of the class, and I can confidently say now I probably know the name and face of 95% of my classmates. There are tons of social events run through the school (and unofficial ones  - happy to DM if you want more details lol). Having 0 stress assessments means you can always go out an celebrate a friend's birthday, or just for fun (there was probably a stretch of 5-6 weekends I was not home lol).

Having this sort of social experience is probably not going to exist anywhere come September, but once things start opening up more (social distancing even more relaxed) I think it is very possible given that the schedule is flexible, tests are not that hard (or often) and the people are unbelievably friendly. 

Even within tutorials and pro-comp you get pretty close with your groups. With different MF groups I have done dinners, wine nights, a tutor invited all his students past and present to their house for a Christmas potluck. It is a very close envioronment, that is always changing and meeting new people every MF (which can be good and bad lol). 

I've made some of my best friends here at Mac who are all super close. If you're the type of person that likes to meet people (or not) this school has an amazing social environment. 


 

Can confirm. I'm definitely a more low-key type of person, and was able to find some really great friends at Mac. There's all kinds of personalities here, so I'm confident you'll find "your people" :)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its been a few years, but the social scene at mac is great. I think the lottery thing is overblown. Most of the chatter from staff docs ive read in other places has been positive. Remember that everyone interviewed was qualified, so its more disappointing that those not selected missed the opportunity to give themselves a bump if they would have rocked the interview, but theyre automatically getting an interview next year, its not at all scandalous that the ones who are selected are accepted. And, while im not sure I agree, there has been some commentary that a lottery bypasses implicit biases during the interview.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, bearded frog said:

Its been a few years, but the social scene at mac is great. I think the lottery thing is overblown. Most of the chatter from staff docs ive read in other places has been positive. Remember that everyone interviewed was qualified, so its more disappointing that those not selected missed the opportunity to give themselves a bump if they would have rocked the interview, but theyre automatically getting an interview next year, its not at all scandalous that the ones who are selected are accepted. And, while im not sure I agree, there has been some commentary that a lottery bypasses implicit biases during the interview.

Shouldn't implicit bias be avoided by having multiple stations like an MMI. If everyone is qualified then I guess McMaster will be canceling interviews forever because what is the point then

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Peanuts29 said:

Shouldn't implicit bias be avoided by having multiple stations like an MMI. If everyone is qualified then I guess McMaster will be canceling interviews forever because what is the point then

yes, but having multiple stations this year virtually would've been very difficult. i really doubt they will be cancelling interviews forever - this seems to be a very specific response to the COVID-19 situation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, TDP said:

yes, but having multiple stations this year virtually would've been very difficult. i really doubt they will be cancelling interviews forever - this seems to be a very specific response to the COVID-19 situation. 

of course they won't be cancelling interviews forever. I was saying that if the argument is that every applicant in the pre-interview is qualified, then why even hold interviews any year irregardless of COVID? The argument doesn't make sense to me.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being very familiar with the admissions committee, at least when I was there, I bet there are some who would like to move to a lottery on a permanent basis for the bias thing. That's the kind of thing mac cares about, for better or for worse. I think that they know that people feel better with some sort of at least perceived agency that an interview provides, and through the MMI they work as hard as possible to minimize bias. Online video interviews just adds other biases in too. I think they should have used casper, personally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My main problem with McMaster is they love to use lottery for everything. It's frustrating because lottery cheapens the process, someone who really wants something badly can't prove that fact and someone who just tosses a hat in the ring has just as good a chance. As a Mac grad, nothing they did was surprising but it is disappointing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...