Premed 101 Forums

MCAT rewrite advice

Hi everyone,

So I'm just looking for some advice on whether or not I should rewrite my MCAT. I'm on the fence. I currently have a 514. I am really skeptical about writing again because of my great CARS score, but would like to increase my chem/phys score. For more context, I got a 5/17 in the personal activities section this past application cycle. My cgpa is: 3.56. I have a few more EC's that I'll be able to add for the upcoming cycle to increase my PA score (a couple leadership positions, more volunteer experience, masters) but still think that maybe I should rewrite to make up for my cgpa? I know that if I do worse the second time I can still use my original score which is another reason I am thinking of redoing it. 

So basically I'm here to hear any and all opinions on if it would make sense for me to rewrite my MCAT? I am looking to improve my application as much as I can, but also don't want to spend too much time focusing on the wrong things. Thanks for any advice!

Edited by rupaulsdragrace

5 minutes ago, denden said:

honestly i wouldn't rewrite. That's a really solid score!!! Are you getting interviews?    i got a 504 (125/125/127/127) and got interviews at u of c and u of a. If you got an interview, i dont think it's worth your time/money/stress to rewrite

Wow, what were your other stats if you don't mind me asking? Congrats on getting interviews!

To answer your question OP, I also do not think it is worth it. Your MCAT is above average for IP Alberta, and that CARS score will do a lot for you. 

10 minutes ago, garceyues said:

Wow, what were your other stats if you don't mind me asking? Congrats on getting interviews!

To answer your question OP, I also do not think it is worth it. Your MCAT is above average for IP Alberta, and that CARS score will do a lot for you. 

thanks!  my gpa definitely helped (3.89 for u of c, 3.93 for u of a) and i have a MSc with lots of ECs all over the place 

Wow that's a good MCAT score! I'm in a similar boat as you albeit with a lower MCAT score. I'm not quite sure how to improve the EC score with UofA. Would anyone with recent success with writing the PA section be able to shed some light on what type of writing they prefer in there? It seems to me UofA has recently shifted more weighing towards ECs in general. 

For reference , I had the same mcat score as you (cars 125 though) but gpa above 3.9, ECs probably average and was waitlisted to u of a then accepted a few weeks later. When on the waitlist I was considering re-writing the mcat.

If you think you perform consistently well on cars, then perhaps consider a re-write - chem/phys section (your weakest) is arguably the section where extensive practice is most likely to translate to a higher score. I know mcat means time and money, but with a gpa on the low side I think you're going to have go the extra mile with either mcat or ECs to balance it out. 

however, you did get an interview, so that likely means your ECs were above average, given that your gpa was low and MCAT score was ~ average score for accepted applicants. So If you think you could have performed better on the interview , perhaps an MCAT re-write is unnecessary, and you might just benefit from interview practice next year. but obviously a higher mcat or even better ECs would make getting another interview  next year more likely. tough choice :( good luck!!