Premed 101 Forums

Calgary invites/regrets/waitlist 2020

Result: ACCEPTED!!! I can't believe it. Timestamp: 4:58pm MST.

Geography: IP

GPA: 3.97

MCAT: 513 (127 CARS)

Degree : 4th year BSc.

EC: Decent I guess. 
Three summers of research (no pubs, one presentation), long-term volunteering and ECs, some employment, one personal experience, one summer abroad and intramural sports.

Interview: Online (Cohort 2). Right after finishing, I felt it went OK. Maybe a little below average. In following weeks, I obsessed over the one question that I absolutely butchered, and felt that really killed my chances (+the reduced seats this year). Never have I been so happy to have been so wrong.

Result: waitlisted

MCAT: 511 (125 CARS)

Degree : Master's (June, 2020)

EC: varied, but had a couple hospital volunteering positions (long-term), youth soccer coaching, PASS Leader for 1 year and TA for 2 years, 1 co-author pub, work as a PT,  life experiences.

Interview: felt it was hit or miss. A few stations had me feeling like a million bucks, whereas others had me wondering how I even made it this far.

Passing on good vibes to everyone in the same position. Let's hope for movement!

Result: waitlisted

Geography: OOP

GPA: 3.90 (no wGPA)

MCAT: 128/128/130/130 (516)

Degree : BSc (2018)

EC1+ year medical office assistant, 3+ years cancer research with two pending pubs, VP for 2 university clubs, 2 personal start-up businesses, average awards (just undergraduate academic awards), multiple academic tutor/mentor experiences

Interview: Cohort 1, not sure how I felt about the MMIs but I really enjoyed the long stations though :D

Result: ACCEPTED :D

MCAT: 524 (132 CARS)

Degree : BA

EC: Fairly non-trad. Lots of not-very-medicine-related work experience and volunteering, belonging to and working withing diverse communities, and a bit of research.

Interview: Some stations felt good, some less good. overall, I was happy with how it went--I was mostly just proud of myself for making it through it in one piece lol.

Result: Accepted :) (@ 4:28 PST, Cohort 1)

Geography: (OOP/IP) OOP

GPA: 4.0

MCAT: 521 (129 CARS, 2017)

Degree : BSc (2019)

EC: Psychiatric and cell biology research (no presentations or pubs), long-term customer service employment, diverse community volunteering and ECs, various long term leadership positions working with children

Result: Waitlist (Cohort 2)

GPA: 3.93

MCAT: 519/130 CARS

Degree : Graduated MSc 2018

EC: 5+ years employment in aquatics, 5+ years hospital volunteering, 3+ years community outreach, 3+ years child development research/5 publications, tutor/mentorship experiences, USRA & CGSM, 3 years varsity sports, 12+ years competitive running/triathlon

Interview: Felt alright - one response felt great, one I feel like I butchered, the rest were okay. I definitely struggled with the online format.

Result: ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GPA: 3.9 

MCAT: 129 CARS

Degree : Master's in progress (I guess will now be defending soon!) 

Interview: in person, thought it went badly at the time but who knows. First interview ever.

Result:  ACCEPTED!!! AHHH!!!  

GPA: 3.90

MCAT: 513 (128 CARS)

Degree: First: BFA in Drama; Second: BA (Honours) in Psychology 

E.C:  Volunteer for the Distress Center, research assistant volunteering in 2 labs while doing my psych degree, peer leader at UofC during my psych degree, volunteer at the children's hospital, three jobs (1 at the children's hospital in research, 1 doing drama with queer youth in the community, 1 as a standardized patient), lots of experience doing drama-related things, lots of travel. Also wrote about overcoming some experiences of personal adversity, and spoke about a few of my hobbies. 

Interview: While it was happening I thought it went pretty well! Afterwards I ruminated on every detail and wanted to turn back the clock to expand on my answers. I mostly felt that during the MMI. I felt really comfortable during the panel interviews and the group activity! I practiced a lot for the MMI with family and friends, and tried to familiarize myself with some common ethical issues or hot topics in medicine. 

Thoughts: I'm stunned and thrilled! I'm a first time applicant and I never expected to get in this year! I also received an acceptance from the UofA so in the next week I am going to decide which school is the best fit for me and my life. I'm 28, married, and have lots to consider! 

Result:  Accepted! 

Geography: OOP (Cohort1)

MCAT: 515 (129 CARS)

Degree: BScHK 2019

EC's - Varsity athlete, camp counselor, mentor, tutor, special olympics, outdoors experiences. Extensive research(350+hours), national presentation x2

Interview: Panels felt great. Some MMI stations felt great, others not so much. 

Thoughts: Second time applicant. Was rejected from FIVE schools post-interview last year, below average interviews at every one (literally was 11th percentile for Calgary!!). My mom died a month before the rejections and it was a really tough few months. As devastating as this was, this past year allowed me to explore new passions, learn a lot about myself and become more confident about speaking about everything I had experienced! 

If you didn’t hear the news you wanted today, have faith that everything will work out eventually. Weaknesses can be turned into strengths with enough time and practice! Experience really does help, and persistance will pay off in the long run. 

As much as I loved UofC for the community feel and the amazing transparency and communication from Dr.P, I will be declining in favor of UBC! Best of luck to all those on the waitlist! 

On 5/12/2020 at 5:16 PM, IlovepugsBC said:

Result: Accepted :) (@ 4:28 PST, Cohort 1)

GPA: 4.0

MCAT: 521 (129 CARS, 2017)

Degree : BSc (McGill 2019)

EC: Psychiatric and cell biology research (no presentations or pubs), long term customer service employment, diverse community volunteering and ECs, various long term leadership positions working with children

Interview:  First cycle getting any interviews (rejected to UBC past 2 years pre-interview). Prepared extensively for the UBC MMI in early Feb, didn't do anything after. Wasn't feeling nervous and had a lot of fun! I thought the MMI portion went really well - much better than UBC. I did not know there would be a panel/group type interview portion until I was standing in line for it so that was a surprise and I felt that could have gone far better.

Waiting to hear back from UBC tomorrow!

Accepted to UBC (my IP school). Declining my OOP offer to Calgs for personal reasons. Best of luck to everyone on the waitlist!

Sorry for the late post, been celebrating with family and friends. 

Result: Acceptance!!!!

GPA: 3.87 ish

MCAT: 509 (126 CARS section)

Degree : BSc.

EC: All the cliche things: research, hospital volunteering, soccer assistant coaching at local high school I gradded from, etc

Interview: 6th time interview - I've decided to hire an interview coach for 2 months of prep so I felt like a million bucks this cycle.

To all those who were rejected, please don't give up! If someone like me (relatively low GPA and bad at interviews) can get in, you definitely can as well. Just got to be patient and continuously studious. Chin up, have a wonderful summer, reapply and get in next cycle!

For all of my non-trad friends out there, I want to be as open and honest about my journey as possible. So, here it goes:

Result: Accepted

GPA: 3.98 (I used the 10-year exclusion rule. This means that anything older than 10 years is removed from your GPA calculation, as long as you have completed two full-time undergraduate years within the past 10 years. I guessing that my overall GPA would have been closer to 3.3).

MCAT: 510 (128 cars). I wrote the MCAT in 2018, 15 years after completing my undergraduate degree in science. (Yes, I am that old). Needless to say, I required a significant amount of review. :lol:

Degree :  BSc. Animal Science (2003), MSc. Animal Science (2008), BEd. (2015)

EC: In my Top 10, I focused on reflecting upon experiences that have significantly influenced how I operate on a daily basis. I wrote a number of them related to teaching and opportunities I have had as a teacher, a couple related to working with marginalized populations, long-term accomplishments (working with animals), and other work-related experiences. I tried to emphasize not what I did, but what I thought about an experience and how it would shape my actions moving forward.

Interview: I was a member of Cohort 2. I definitely felt more prepared this year, having spent a considerable amount of time reflecting on last year's interview and practicing with some amazing fellow applicants. I thought that the virtual interview went well. That being said, I still questioned every single word I uttered while waiting for decisions. 

Hope this is helpful.

Sorry for the late post, it has been a ride haha! 

Result: Acceptance!

GPA: 3.91 ish

MCAT: 519 (131 CARS section)

Degree : BSc.

EC:Various research roles, charity work, club exec work, travelling, hobbies, and boxing. 

Interview: Went really well. Stumbled on one station but picked up for the rest. 

Really excited to meet everyone of you :) 

On 5/13/2020 at 12:02 PM, cnect said:

Result:  ACCEPTED!!! AHHH!!!  

GPA: 3.90

MCAT: 513 (128 CARS)

Degree: First: BFA in Drama; Second: BA (Honours) in Psychology 

E.C:  Volunteer for the Distress Center, research assistant volunteering in 2 labs while doing my psych degree, peer leader at UofC during my psych degree, volunteer at the children's hospital, three jobs (1 at the children's hospital in research, 1 doing drama with queer youth in the community, 1 as a standardized patient), lots of experience doing drama-related things, lots of travel. Also wrote about overcoming some experiences of personal adversity, and spoke about a few of my hobbies. 

Interview: While it was happening I thought it went pretty well! Afterwards I ruminated on every detail and wanted to turn back the clock to expand on my answers. I mostly felt that during the MMI. I felt really comfortable during the panel interviews and the group activity! I practiced a lot for the MMI with family and friends, and tried to familiarize myself with some common ethical issues or hot topics in medicine. 

Thoughts: I'm stunned and thrilled! I'm a first time applicant and I never expected to get in this year! I also received an acceptance from the UofA so in the next week I am going to decide which school is the best fit for me and my life. I'm 28, married, and have lots to consider! 

I have decided to decline UofC in favor of UofA! Good luck to everyone on the waitlist! 

Result: Accepted off the Waitlist 4:18pm 

GPA: 3.84 (calculated by UCAN)

MCAT:  508 (126 CARS)

Degree : BSc & MPH 

EC: Lots of research experience, high level athlete back in the day, involved in the arts community, vice-chair of university club, volunteering with community organizations, travel, and lots of other random hobbies and things fairly typical of most applicants. Message me if you want more details. 

Interview: Felt fairly good about it, though there were some stations I felt I ended way to early and should have had more to say. I have had previous experience with MMIs which helped to reduce my nerves. 

Beyond excited as this is my 4th application cycle and 3rd year of being waitlisted. I figured I should post to provide some hope to others who have been at it for years and may have a GPA or MCAT on the lower side.