Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist Party 2020

In my waitlist email, it said " Responses to offers from the waitlist are expected to be received promptly, sometimes within 24 hours". Does anyone know if this means we can hear back sooner than May 27? Or does this mean, if/when we hear back we are expected to respond to them within 24h?

Good luck to all those waitlisted!

Just now, Whoknows? said:

In my waitlist email, it said " Responses to offers from the waitlist are expected to be received promptly, sometimes within 24 hours". Does anyone know if this means we can hear back sooner than May 27? Or does this mean, if/when we hear back we are expected to respond to them within 24h?

Good luck to all those waitlisted!

The way I interpreted that is if you are accepted off the waitlist, you need to reply ASAP (as opposed to the 2 weeks that admitted applicants have now).

Does anyone know approx how many people are on the waitlist typically (I know they don't officially release this). Also, approx how many people typically get in from the waitlist? I'm not expecting many people to decline their offers :(

Also I'm a bit confused about how the waitlist works for IP vs OOP. Are OOP positions reserved for OOP applicants? 

6 minutes ago, cluelesscanadian said:

Hey guys, does anyone know if waitlisted applicants still receive feedback on their interview quality? Am interested to know. Good luck everyone!

If you are eventually rejected and do not come off the waitlist you will have access to your scores and interview. If you get an offer you will never know.

4 minutes ago, p12345c said:

Also, approx how many people typically get in from the waitlist? I'm not expecting many people to decline their offers :(

According to the stats from last year, it looks like 43 applicants (12 IP, 31 OOP) declined their offers. See page 9: https://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/files/2019/10/MED-2023-Admissions-Statistics-website.pdf

31 minutes ago, bhaggy said:

No idea if there is just 1 waitlist or 2

Pretty sure there’s only one waitlist. Based on my understanding gathered over the years, spots are offered off the waitlist in order, regardless of OOP/IP. But once the maximum OOP spots are filled then they stop making offers to OOP students as they go down the list.

Edit: I should clarify that I meant one waitlist for IP/OOP overall admission. We know that they also have a waitlist system for accepted students who didn’t get their first choice to wait for a spot to open at their preferred sites.

Edited by frenchpress

27 minutes ago, kingassault said:

So out of province waitlist actually moves faster?

Actually, I think it’s just that OOP students are more likely to decline. Makes sense: Many OOP want to stay in their own province, so if they also receive an IP offer they may be more likely to take it; and accepted OOP students also tend to have strong averages and applications, so they may be more likely to have more than one offer to choose from. 

I’ve never seen any evidence that a declined OOP slot must go to another OOP applicant. And we know that they often do not even fill the max number of OOP spots.

49 minutes ago, kingassault said:

So out of province waitlist actually moves faster?

From UBC's blog: "Out of the 288 spaces, up to 10% (29) can go to out-of-province applicants.  Because it’s ‘up to’ 29 spaces, not ‘exactly’ 29 spaces that are reserved for OOP residents, we don’t have a separate waitlist for them and we don’t always replace one OOP with another OOP – we go down the list and fill spots based on the list order, making sure we don’t exceed 29 OOP spaces.  There are usually quite a few highly-ranked OOP applicants so OOP declines do tend to be filled by other OOP applicants, but it really depends on how the list falls." (https://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/2012/04/25/offers-process-overview/) This is an older blog post but I think it should still be accurate!

Hello everyone. I don't post much... but I think need additional support for this waitlist! 

I am a second time applicant. Last year, I interviewed at UBC and was rejected post-interview. This year, I interviewed at U of T for both the MD and MD/PhD program as well as UBC for the MD program. Receiving my rejection from U of T yesterday was very heartbreaking, and I was so sure that I was getting rejected today as well. I am in the same boat as Justsayian26 because I don't know if I should feel happy or sad about this waitlist. I am grateful that I still have a chance though! 

I am an out of province applicant with two masters degrees. Finishing up my second masters now, I was supposed to have this fancy internship and prospective job opportunity that would give me a back up if I was not accepted again this year. These opportunities have been cancelled due to the current lockdowns. My last day of classes finishes tomorrow and I am now with you guys in limbo. Fingers crossed that we can all pull through this wait list <3 

12 minutes ago, jk_9 said:

From UBC's blog: "Out of the 288 spaces, up to 10% (29) can go to out-of-province applicants.  Because it’s ‘up to’ 29 spaces, not ‘exactly’ 29 spaces that are reserved for OOP residents, we don’t have a separate waitlist for them and we don’t always replace one OOP with another OOP – we go down the list and fill spots based on the list order, making sure we don’t exceed 29 OOP spaces.  There are usually quite a few highly-ranked OOP applicants so OOP declines do tend to be filled by other OOP applicants, but it really depends on how the list falls." (https://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/2012/04/25/offers-process-overview/) This is an older blog post but I think it should still be accurate!

Ah thanks, I was just trying to track this down. I knew I hadn’t made it up! :Dand based on what I was told when I spoke to admissions the year I was applying, pretty sure this is still accurate. There’s been no evidence it’s changed in the last few years.

4 hours ago, ninjabro1995 said:

What time did everyone get emails for waitlist? Is the timestamp uniform? 

Wondering the same thing, seems like someone in the countdown thread got a WL email at like 1PM PST (after many acceptances). Received mine at 7:58AM PST

Does anyone know or do you think that OOP applicants are placed higher (first?) on the waitlist compared to IP applicants? A lot of the people that decline their offers are OOP so rationally I would think that they would have a better chance. Also, this is probably because OOP applicants generally have a stronger application due to the higher cut offs. 

Also if you had to guess, how many people do you think are waitlisted?