Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

Recommended Posts

Hey guys, sending you all love rn during these difficult times :( didn't hear back either and I know how frustrating this entire waiting process is

I have an inkling that the waitlist is moving really slowly in general - in another post, people who've gotten offers from the beginning but received their 2nd or 3rd offer haven't even been moved/shuffled to other sites either, which usually happens pretty early, and before waitlisted applicants are given their first choice.

It might be because of COVID that people are choosing to stay at BC / home than going to other schools? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think so too. With the travel restrictions with the US, some of the applicants who were planning to go to US schools may have reconsidered. Also, BC is handling COVID-19 better than Ontario or Québec, which could be influencing some applicants' decisions because most of the top medical schools in Canada are in those two provinces. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I looked at UBC MD Admissions Blog and it looks like they typically have 5 rounds of offers. How is that possible? Are people who get waitlisted end up just declining their offers? Why keep on the waitlist?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, CrisprRaps said:

I looked at UBC MD Admissions Blog and it looks like they typically have 5 rounds of offers. How is that possible? Are people who get waitlisted end up just declining their offers? Why keep on the waitlist?

I have a hard time believing this as well. 

 

14 hours ago, worriedAF said:

I think most of the movement of the waitlist happens pretty early on - waitlist movement will probably slow more than it already has as time passes.....

Sadly, I feel that this is true. This year there seems to be very low waitlist movement (might just be due to people not posting on the forum). Its a hard pill to swallow, but I feel that at this point, only a couple of people (anywhere between 1-5) will get an offer. According to statistics, approximately 35-45 people reject their offers every year. No one knows if UBC over invites or not, so it is tough to speculate if 35-45 people get in off the waitlist every year. Looking at these numbers, I thought a lot of us on the waitlist would have a good chance of receiving an offer, but looking a the lack of posts on this form I may have been wrong. It will be really interesting to look at the class of 2024 statistics when they come out and see how different it is this year in comparison to others. I am curious how COVID-19 affected peoples decisions and the fate of the people on the waitlist. 

Overall, I feel super frustrated with the lack of information that us "waitlisters" are provided. It's as if UBC is dangling the succulent "fruit of acceptance" in front of us just to torture us. Yet, I like many other still hold on to the hope that UBC will be gracious enough to give it.  Over the past 3 weeks, I have kept playing scenarios in my head that I will get an offer, saying to myself that I will get and offer, even dreaming that I got an offer. The constant "what if" feeling still persists, but I have kind of moved on and am looking towards the next cycle. It still stings a little when I think about it, especially since some of my friend got in and I would have loved to be in the same class as them. Hopefully I will be surprised in the next coming weeks, however I am not counting on it. Sorry if this was a long post, but I just wanted to share a bit about how I was feeling.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wishing everyone here the best of luck! I know the wait can be discouraging but know that to get to this point means YOU are capable and worthy of an acceptance. I'm a little late with my post so I'm sorry about that, but I wanted to contribute nonetheless! I was accepted off the waitlist on Tuesday as an IP and will be accepting my offer. The timestamp of the original notification I received was 7:58:09

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also find the wording of the most recent blog post interesting. It seems like this year could be different for the waitlist.

Does anyone else know how grad students will impact this cycle? Considering that they need to have completed their program and that Covid-19 has affected research and timelines, could there theoretically be more spaces available off the waitlist?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, socialdistancingking said:

I also find the wording of the most recent blog post interesting. It seems like this year could be different for the waitlist.

Does anyone else know how grad students will impact this cycle? Considering that they need to have completed their program and that Covid-19 has affected research and timelines, could there theoretically be more spaces available off the waitlist?

On my offer, it asked grad students to inform the admissions office after accepting if they were on track in Feb to finish their grad program by Jul 30, so I'm not sure how they'll handle that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, abc9 said:

On my offer, it asked grad students to inform the admissions office after accepting if they were on track in Feb to finish their grad program by Jul 30, so I'm not sure how they'll handle that.

Interesting. So they might just accept grad students as long as they were on track before Covid?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2020 at 10:41 PM, socialdistancingking said:

Interesting. So they might just accept grad students as long as they were on track before Covid?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...