Premed 101 Forums

McGill DMD 2020 Waitlist Movement

Hi everyone 

I made this thread to help keep track of WL movement and potential WL movement.

If you are planning on declining or deferring your offer  or know of someone who is please post here!

If you are currently on the WL feel free to also share if you will be accepting or declining. 

It helps current and future applicants! 

Currently the IP WL is at 5 and the OOP WL is at 3. It was updated last on April 9th!! its been over a month and no movement

5 hours ago, Dmd.2020 said:

Now that the answers from medical schools are out (Qc), do you think we will start to see any changes? the waiting list didn't move + 19 candidates does not help...

I think that if there is a significant change, it will be from here to 1-2 weeks. We could possibly see a few people decline their offers at McGill for the other universities that recently gave out their offers. There's nothing certain though, but I highly doubt there's any movement after that, there wouldn't be any major reason for one to decline his offer.

20 hours ago, mustbemed said:

How many people have their spots still on the OOP waitlist? / if they could share what number they are please 

number 10 on OOP, really hoping it’ll move as much as last year since I’m pretty sure it moved to 12. How many do you guys think have dropped from the waitlist?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone, congrats to those of you who got in. Many of you might know McGill has changed their selection process for the coming cycle to 100% MMI after the interview. The logic behind it as far as I understood is that people had courses in Winter2020 that was affected by COVID19 pass/fail situation. However, I think this change is an unfair disadvantage for the multiple applicants who repeated the science courses to improve. I think if there is enough of us, we can write to them, What do you think?

There is no harm to try but I don’t think you will get anywhere. They set their own rules and their only concern Is have an excellent class of new students enter their program. There will always be dissatisfied applicants, it is not their concern.

Many years ago, I applied to MCGill medical school. I was an excellent candidate with stellar grades and amazing ECs & volunteering. I did not receive an interview and to try to become a better candidate, I sought a meeting to review my application. It turned out that the reader of my essay, misinterpreted just one sentence of my essay, determined I was overly ambitious, and it was on that basis that I was excluded from having an interview. Once I explained the sentence, the person admitted I was an excellent candidate, but the damage had already been done. As it happened, I got off the wait list of another med school, so no harm done.

My point, my only point, is that the process is arbitrary and there are subjective elements that come into play. I became an irrelevant casualty at the MCGill application process. However, all that mattered to MCGill was that they selected excellent candidates that cycle. Each med school makes their own rules, they are not perfect but at the end of the day, they intake a good new group of students into their programs, medical, dental, whatever. I think fighting the system, fighting their rules is like spitting in the wInd that is coming in your direction. You need to apply broadly and hope you will be accepted at one of the schools. Don’t put your eggs in one basket and don’t waste your time and energy in a futile exercise. Life is not fair. I wish you every success. 

2 hours ago, fireeyed said:

The logic behind it as far as I understood is that people had courses in Winter2020 that was affected by COVID19 pass/fail situation

No, the logic behind that specific change is to harmonize med-p admissions and mdcm admissions. The former is already 100% interview. This decision also applies to all cycles starting next cycle, not a temporary change for covid.

The only change that is directed at the pass-fail situation is the fact that winter2020 grades do not count for cGPA calculation.

they are 2 distinct changes, with 2 distinct purposes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...