Premed 101 Forums

NOSM Waitlist 2020

33 minutes ago, mdhopeful26 said:

Agreed, I was hoping to see less confirmed learners for sure. Feeling pretty hopeless right now, that's for sure. Do you think you will be applying again for next cycle?

Thanks for joining us! I don't think any of us really expected the email to be what it was today :(...

I was also expecting less confirmed learners...

I truly do not know if I will be reapplying next cycle. My community (small French Northern Ontario town) really needs more physicians as it is already underserviced and I believe 3 or 4 of them will be retiring in the next few years. I would’ve liked to practice here to help relieve that burden, which is why I was hoping to get into NOSM as that is literally their mandate. I am a bit disappointed that things like these do not play a bigger role in their selection process. I think I might pursue other interests for now while keeping medecine in mind. What about you?

Wow what a devastating email. I straight bawled for a while. Only 10 off the waitlist whole other years had 16-20? What a year to be on the waitlist. Really wonder what spot I was in. its such a sad feeling to be thinking of the whole application process again! Has anyone tried to get the 30 consultation thing? How was it? 

8 minutes ago, MedHopes said:

I am also on the waitlist, but I haven't yet received any updates.  Can someone tell me what it says?  Thank you!

Dear Applicant,

The following movement has occurred on the waitlist for the Entering Class of 2020:

The NOSM class of Fall 2020 has 62 confirmed learners. We are currently awaiting responses from the two remaining offers. If these two offers are accepted the class will be full.

42 applicants are remaining on the waitlist.

You will receive another update in one week or sooner if the class reaches 64 confirmed learners.

5 minutes ago, MedHopes said:

Hey All... I am also on the waitlist, though oddly, I have yet to receive an update.  I'm assuming the news isn't promising?  Could someone kindly let me know what the email states (more or less)?  Thank you!

I would email them! There was one person a few years back whose email address glitched out and they should have received an offer. The only way they found out was because they didn't get the update email. Let them know you didn't get it

13 minutes ago, acr1316 said:

I was also expecting less confirmed learners...

I truly do not know if I will be reapplying next cycle. My community (small French Northern Ontario town) really needs more physicians as it is already underserviced and I believe 3 or 4 of them will be retiring in the next few years. I would’ve liked to practice here to help relieve that burden, which is why I was hoping to get into NOSM as that is literally their mandate. I am a bit disappointed that things like these do not play a bigger role in their selection process. I think I might pursue other interests for now while keeping medecine in mind. What about you?

5 minutes ago, NOSM24 said:

Wow what a devastating email. I straight bawled for a while. Only 10 off the waitlist whole other years had 16-20? What a year to be on the waitlist. Really wonder what spot I was in. its such a sad feeling to be thinking of the whole application process again! Has anyone tried to get the 30 consultation thing? How was it? 

I also spent some time bawling my eyes out basically. That's crazy that it has only moved 10 spots...I'm pretty sure that would be the lowest movement ever. I also wonder what spot I was in. It's super daunting thinking about putting myself through this again, but I have a feeling I will apply again next cycle. It's tough to know you're so close. I went up to book one today after we got the email and it said that they are booking into mid-late June...I didn't want to book before in case I got in off the waitlist

Oh, ok.  Than you!  Well... Hope springs eternal as unsatisfying as that likely sounds.  Don't cling to false hope, but it still may come to be.  And, if not... We'll apply again.  I genuinely mean this... Give yourself some credit and stay hopeful.  

1 minute ago, NOSM24 said:

Dear Applicant,

The following movement has occurred on the waitlist for the Entering Class of 2020:

The NOSM class of Fall 2020 has 62 confirmed learners. We are currently awaiting responses from the two remaining offers. If these two offers are accepted the class will be full.

42 applicants are remaining on the waitlist.

You will receive another update in one week or sooner if the class reaches 64 confirmed learners.

19 minutes ago, mdhopeful26 said:

I also spent some time bawling my eyes out basically. That's crazy that it has only moved 10 spots...I'm pretty sure that would be the lowest movement ever. I also wonder what spot I was in. It's super daunting thinking about putting myself through this again, but I have a feeling I will apply again next cycle. It's tough to know you're so close. I went up to book one today after we got the email and it said that they are booking into mid-late June...I didn't want to book before in case I got in off the waitlist

It actually might have moved less than 10 spots. The email only tells you how many people are left on the waitlist, some people would have removed themselves by accepting offers to other schools...at least that is how I am interpreting it. So yes, this is quite the year to be waitlisted. 

13 minutes ago, Alftavatn said:

It actually might have moved less than 10 spots. The email only tells you how many people are left on the waitlist, some people would have removed themselves by accepting offers to other schools...at least that is how I am interpreting it. So yes, this is quite the year to be waitlisted. 

Right...I didn't even think about that. Crazy for sure. Who knows..maybe the two offers they're waiting on will decline and it will continue? I can't imagine things would move very far but I guess you never know

2 minutes ago, MedHopes said:

Hello! ... Any updates regarding the two remaining candidates who hadn't yet replied yesterday?

I didn't get any emails today from NOSM! Technically the two remaining candidates could be waiting to see if they get off a waitlist for another school that doesn't have movement right away like Ottawa or Western, etc. I think they also have a window of time to decide whether or not to accept. Did you get an email eventually? Or did you contact them about not getting it? Weird!

Thanks for responding!  Indeed, I received the same letter.  For whatever reason, it came later.
Do we know when candidates for OttawaU or Western are required to reply?  I tend to agree that these two remaining NOSM candidates are likely waiting on a response from another school, though weren't they required to reply to NOSM as of yesterday?  I mean, wouldn't NOSM know whether they accepted or declined (NOSM's offer) by now?
Purgatory sucks!  lol

2 minutes ago, MedHopes said:

Thanks for responding!  Indeed, I received the same letter.  For whatever reason, it came later.
Do we know when candidates for OttawaU or Western are required to reply?  I tend to agree that these two remaining NOSM candidates are likely waiting on a response from another school, though weren't they required to reply to NOSM as of yesterday?  I mean, wouldn't NOSM know whether they accepted or declined (NOSM's offer) by now?
Purgatory sucks!  lol

Oh that's odd! Glad you got it though. All first round offers had to be responded to by May 26th (I believe at 11:59PM). Waitlist offers from NOSM and McMaster (and apparently a couple of Ottawa offers) happened during the period from May 12-26. The two people NOSM is waiting on must be waitlist offers (makes sense since the email said there are still 42 of us on the list out of the original 52). All other Ontario schools start waitlist offers today (to the best of my knowledge)! I don't know how long people on the waitlist at each school have to reply. I think it is at least a week? Purgatory is the worst! Very mentally draining just being in limbo. 

Hey fellow purgatory members... I hope you all have had a better last few days.
I still don't know if I'm receiving all correspondence from NOSM, so I just wanted to make sure... Does anyone know if those final two candidates accepted or declined their offers (from NOSM)?  In other words, are some of us still on "life support"?

24 minutes ago, MedHopes said:

Hey fellow purgatory members... I hope you all have had a better last few days.
I still don't know if I'm receiving all correspondence from NOSM, so I just wanted to make sure... Does anyone know if those final two candidates accepted or declined their offers (from NOSM)?  In other words, are some of us still on "life support"?

Hi! 
I hope you all are holding up alright! I have not received any emails yet! I wonder if we still have a fighting chance. The days after Tuesday have been much better, starting to settle in with and learning to appreciate the great blessings in life regardless of NOSM acceptance! 

2 hours ago, NOSM24 said:

Hi! 
I hope you all are holding up alright! I have not received any emails yet! I wonder if we still have a fighting chance. The days after Tuesday have been much better, starting to settle in with and learning to appreciate the great blessings in life regardless of NOSM acceptance! 

Hi guys! I've definitely had better days...its been rough but I agree with @NOSM24 about things feeling a little better after Tuesday. I haven't heard anything so there might be a slim chance? I'm trying to stay positive but also realistic at this point :(

10 minutes ago, NOSM24 said:

Hello! 
It’s Tuesday again!!! I wonder if there will be any more movement today! How is everyone feeling? 

Not feeling super hopeful at this point knowing how close it was to being filled once we got the last update! I guess we will see if we get something new today! How are you feeling?

6 hours ago, mdhopeful26 said:

Not feeling super hopeful at this point knowing how close it was to being filled once we got the last update! I guess we will see if we get something new today! How are you feeling?

Yeah the hopeful feeling definitely came crashing down last Tuesday! But where is the email today??? Anyone get it?

Nothing received either... I thought updates were to be on a weekly basis?  Perhaps I'm a wee bit deflated and jaded, but if any of us are chosen from off the waitlist, it'll feel great (no doubt), but the way we've been treated (I feel like I'm a second-class citizen or something akin) will always stick with me.  Bad taste in my mouth, in other words.

Hello all! I am on the waitlist, and never receive the update on the 26th, nor have I received any further updates. I read through this amazing forum and saw the update saying theres only two spots left. I tried calling admissions and the office is closed until June 8th. Any advice of why I didn't receive an update email? Confused...

Thanks!