Premed 101 Forums

Could anyone explain this to me?

Your application was referred to the Max Rady College of Medicine subcommittee regarding professional attributes identified in the application process. The subcommittee has advised the Admissions Committee regarding your suitability into the Max Rady College of Medicine and upon careful review, has determined that you do not meet the professionalism requirements, as outlined in the Applicant Information Bulletin.

What does this mean? Did I say something wrong on an MMI station? Did one of my references say something bad about me? There is no other information.

I actually got the same notice last year. It's pretty broad of a statement, but the admissions committee told me last year that it means that you were likely red-flagged on one of your stations/reference letters. If you want more specifics they usually will follow up during the de-briefing session during the summer (assuming it happens, ugh)

1 minute ago, bigchungus1 said:

yeah I was just accepted, fortunately. And no, you start fresh next year :)

I actually had the same interviewer who red flagged me last year, so there's definitely no bias for future applications!

How do you know that person red flagged you? Do they tell you in the review meetings? 

23 hours ago, bubblewrap said:

Your application was referred to the Max Rady College of Medicine subcommittee regarding professional attributes identified in the application process. The subcommittee has advised the Admissions Committee regarding your suitability into the Max Rady College of Medicine and upon careful review, has determined that you do not meet the professionalism requirements, as outlined in the Applicant Information Bulletin.

What does this mean? Did I say something wrong on an MMI station? Did one of my references say something bad about me? There is no other information.

I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you but I would take this as an opportunity to reflect upon your behaviours. Professionalism covers not just the MMI stations but being polite and friendly to the organizers, acting appropriately in the coat room/waiting room etc. At any point during the application process, you may do or say something that comes off the wrong way. It may be that you were nervous and your answer came out wrong in the MMI. Use this as a chance to practice your MMI skills. Or, you may have beliefs and opinions that are racist, sexist or otherwise unprofessional and these beliefs showed themselves during mock mmi, the application process or during the MMI itself. Although the mock MMI does not impact your scores on the real MMI, unprofessional behaviour can be noted during the mock by the organizers and reported to Admissions if they really feel it's something that needs to be followed up on.

I wish you luck and none of this was meant to be overly critical of you but just a heads up. Good luck in the future!

6 hours ago, drang said:

I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you but I would take this as an opportunity to reflect upon your behaviours. Professionalism covers not just the MMI stations but being polite and friendly to the organizers, acting appropriately in the coat room/waiting room etc. At any point during the application process, you may do or say something that comes off the wrong way. It may be that you were nervous and your answer came out wrong in the MMI. Use this as a chance to practice your MMI skills. Or, you may have beliefs and opinions that are racist, sexist or otherwise unprofessional and these beliefs showed themselves during mock mmi, the application process or during the MMI itself. Although the mock MMI does not impact your scores on the real MMI, unprofessional behaviour can be noted during the mock by the organizers and reported to Admissions if they really feel it's something that needs to be followed up on.

I wish you luck and none of this was meant to be overly critical of you but just a heads up. Good luck in the future!

Hi there,

I appreciate the response. I was not aware that other students can report you like that. However, I am still confused - I did attend the practice MMI but I received extremely positive feedback from the medical students. I do not hold extreme beliefs or offensive beliefs and during my interview I felt I was very calm and professional. I cannot point to any comment or behavior in my memory that would upset someone, and if I did make what was perceived to be an inappropriate comment during the interview, I am very certain it would have to be something taken extremely out of context or misunderstood.

If I appeal this, are you aware if I have the ability to get more information on what happened? I understand the reasons for this being a confidential process, but I feel I have been wronged here. I was never given a chance to defend myself and surely there's a misunderstanding, which I think I should have been able to address myself before a decision was made. Since this amounts to me being excluded from applying, I also just want to know if the rest of my application was competitive this year, in case I decide to apply again next year. Thanks again for the information.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2020 at 4:50 PM, bubblewrap said:

Hi there,

I appreciate the response. I was not aware that other students can report you like that. However, I am still confused - I did attend the practice MMI but I received extremely positive feedback from the medical students. I do not hold extreme beliefs or offensive beliefs and during my interview I felt I was very calm and professional. I cannot point to any comment or behavior in my memory that would upset someone, and if I did make what was perceived to be an inappropriate comment during the interview, I am very certain it would have to be something taken extremely out of context or misunderstood.

If I appeal this, are you aware if I have the ability to get more information on what happened? I understand the reasons for this being a confidential process, but I feel I have been wronged here. I was never given a chance to defend myself and surely there's a misunderstanding, which I think I should have been able to address myself before a decision was made. Since this amounts to me being excluded from applying, I also just want to know if the rest of my application was competitive this year, in case I decide to apply again next year. Thanks again for the information.

Hi! Sorry for the late response. I'm not really sure of the process to appeal. If you go and meet with the Admissions Office to get feedback normally (which they usually do, but not sure about now in pandemic times), they will tell you what part of your application you need to improve on. For example, if they say your interview didn't go well, that might be what caused you to get red flagged. I mentioned the Mock MMI just as an example of the many places where professionalism is noted. Like someone else said, it could have been a reference or something else?

Sorry, hope this was somewhat helpful.

• 2 weeks later...