Premed 101 Forums

3 hours ago, qrst173 said:

How do you know that?? (Also IP 1st quartile and very grateful for all the support and info from this page!)

There's usually a little movement in June as well. And there's some final movement at the end of July for individuals that defer for other programs in the College of medicine (such as MBA). So my guess would be 5 more spots of movement. 

Hey guys!! I just got accepted today and I'm so excited!!!!! I will be submitting a request for a 1 year deferral to finish my Masters degree so hopefully that means good news for the next person in line if they accept that deferral! :) I was given until Friday (June 5) to accept my offer btw!

22 hours ago, CoffeeandMedicine said:

Hey guys!! I just got accepted today and I'm so excited!!!!! I will be submitting a request for a 1 year deferral to finish my Masters degree so hopefully that means good news for the next person in line if they accept that deferral! :) I was given until Friday (June 5) to accept my offer btw!

Congratulations!! Do you know if they have accepted your deferral? 

22 hours ago, CoffeeandMedicine said:

Correct me if I am wrong but usually when a deferral is granted, that seat will no longer be available. So lets say Sask takes 100 people. If 3 people are granted deferral, then the total seat that year becomes 97 and next year becomes 103. Let me know if I am wrong but this seems to be the case when I check the statistics from other schools.

1 hour ago, Malulu123 said:

Correct me if I am wrong but usually when a deferral is granted, that seat will no longer be available. So lets say Sask takes 100 people. If 3 people are granted deferral, then the total seat that year becomes 97 and next year becomes 103. Let me know if I am wrong but this seems to be the case when I check the statistics from other schools.

Incorrect. There will always be ~100 seats per year. If a deferral is granted, they will move down the waitlist and accept the next available applicant. The following year, the College will accept one less student as the deferred student has effectively been given one of the spots for that subsequent year.

2 hours ago, akulani said:

How many deferrals are given each year? Is there a limit? Can't find anything about this.

Based on the amfc website it varies year to year. Normally between 3 and 6 it seems like. I think as long as you request it for a valid reason (school, athletics, compassionate) They’ll give it to you

2 hours ago, akulani said:

How many deferrals are given each year? Is there a limit? Can't find anything about this.

According to the AFMC data over the past 5 years there's been between 3-7 deferrals each year. I don't know if they cap it each year but they approved mine very quickly and easily :) One of you guys should be getting an email tomorrow!