Premed 101 Forums

Hi, 

I'm in a similar situation as you are. According to the UofT admissions website, your application will be accepted but as an undergraduate student: 

Applicants enrolled in a course-based Master's that is in progress will be assessed as undergraduate applicants. Please note that you are not able to update your application after the October 1st deadline.

When completing your OMSAS application, you will require a letter from your program supervisor to confirm that you will be able to complete your masters before June 30th. Your program advisor will be very well versed with medical school admissions and they may be able to provide you with a comparable practicum to allow you to confer your master's degree by June 30th. 

7 hours ago, TheHardCore said:

Hi everyone,

I am interested in pursuing a Masters in Global Health at McMaster University this year, but would like to apply to U of T Med this cycle as well. The masters takes 1 year to complete, with practicums completed by August. UofT has a requirement that students complete graduate school requirements by June 30th, however they acknowledge that there are applicants from 1-year masters programs that pretty much all finish in August.

Does anyone who applied to UofT Med from Global Health at McMaster (or any other 1-year Masters) have any experience with this situation? Was your application still accepted? 

thank you in advance

Hey,

With the change in the OMSAS application last year, graduate program supervisors were not required to submit a letter for UofT. Instead applicants were required to provide contact information for the graduate verification check. The admissions office then follows up with the program supervisor in November to ensure that they have accurate information about the applicant's degree type and completion status. With the Global Health program at McMaster, you will also have to complete a scholarly paper that runs into the summer, so I'm not sure if you'd be able to complete it all in time for June 30th.

If that is the case, then as @drager mentioned,  you'll be considered an undergraduate student in this application cycle.

8 hours ago, goldenelephant said:

Hey,

With the change in the OMSAS application last year, graduate program supervisors were not required to submit a letter for UofT. Instead applicants were required to provide contact information for the graduate verification check. The admissions office then follows up with the program supervisor in November to ensure that they have accurate information about the applicant's degree type and completion status. With the Global Health program at McMaster, you will also have to complete a scholarly paper that runs into the summer, so I'm not sure if you'd be able to complete it all in time for June 30th.

If that is the case, then as @drager mentioned,  you'll be considered an undergraduate student in this application cycle.

I've heard of exceptions made for people from such programs whose placements run until mid-July. Not sure if it's the Mac program or Western.