Premed 101 Forums

Do I need a degree to confirm my acceptance?

Gonna start off by saying I've already emailed admissions to discuss this, but since they haven't responded yet I'd like to ask you folks as well. 

So I'm 3rd year UG and thought I could graduate with a general degree, but due to some misinformation I am missing 0.5 credits which I plan to complete over the summer. This option would not allow me to graduate until November. So does UofO care whether or not I have an UG degree before acceptance?

Disclosure: I am not affiliated with the University of Ottawa in any way. 

Based on what they have on their website (below), it looks like you would need to have completed your degree by June, and your offer is probably conditional upon your completion of your degree (which was assumed when they assessed your application). If you haven't met their conditions, unfortunately, my guess is that your offer will be rescinded. However, you may be able to ask for an exemption, given that everyone's winter semester has been thrown for a bit of a loop with this whole COVID-19 thing, especially since it's only half a credit, plus it sounds like you would have it completed before school started. No idea if they would grant you an exemption, but if the alternative is having your offer taken away, it's certainly worth petitioning for. 

• "Applications will be accepted from students in good standing who will have successfully completed, prior to the beginning of June preceding registration, in a recognized university, three years of full-time studies (five courses per semester each per year) in any undergraduate program leading to a bachelor’s degree [...]"

But, regardless of what I, or anyone else on this forum says, the only answer you should listen to is the one that comes back from the Admissions Committee. Feel free to ignore everything I've just said except for this, since it's the only answer that matters, and the only answer that will have any impact on you. Everything else is just speculation, so do yourself a favour and read any following answers as a source of anti-boredom entertainment during a quarantine, instead of admissions advice. 

Best of luck, and I hope that they get back to you with a positive answer! 

5 minutes ago, WinterWasp said:

Disclosure: I am not affiliated with the University of Ottawa in any way. 

Based on what they have on their website (below), it looks like you would need to have completed your degree by June, and your offer is probably conditional upon your completion of your degree (which was assumed when they assessed your application). If you haven't met their conditions, unfortunately, my guess is that your offer will be rescinded. However, you may be able to ask for an exemption, given that everyone's winter semester has been thrown for a bit of a loop with this whole COVID-19 thing, especially since it's only half a credit, plus it sounds like you would have it completed before school started. No idea if they would grant you an exemption, but if the alternative is having your offer taken away, it's certainly worth petitioning for. 

• "Applications will be accepted from students in good standing who will have successfully completed, prior to the beginning of June preceding registration, in a recognized university, three years of full-time studies (five courses per semester each per year) in any undergraduate program leading to a bachelor’s degree [...]"

But, regardless of what I, or anyone else on this forum says, the only answer you should listen to is the one that comes back from the Admissions Committee. Feel free to ignore everything I've just said except for this, since it's the only answer that matters, and the only answer that will have any impact on you. Everything else is just speculation, so do yourself a favour and read any following answers as a source of anti-boredom entertainment during a quarantine, instead of admissions advice. 

Best of luck, and I hope that they get back to you with a positive answer! 

Thanks for the thorough response. The way I understood this requirement is that you must complete three years of full-time studies (which I have). I don't believe it explicitly means I need a degree... Anyways I guess I'll wait to see what admissions says.