Premed 101 Forums

Experience At UBC as an OOP

Hi everyone, 

I was wondering if there are any current UBC med students who attended UBC from another province who can speak about their experience? I am currently trying to decide between UBC and Queen's and I like the idea of living in a city like Vancouver as someone from the GTA, but I am hesitant about being far from home. I also did my undergrad at Queen's so I do have experience living in Kingston (not crazy about the idea of going back for another 4 years, but I did enjoy my undergrad there). I would appreciate anyone who can comment on UBC vs Queen's and their experience there as an OOP!

Feel free to PM me and thanks in advance! :)

All of my friends who stayed in-province for their medical school education did not regret it. There is always the chance to work/study abroad after the MD, and so if you think you will have a more comfortable experience and easier route to excelling in your medical studies (and hence securing your desired residency) then it may be your safest bet to go with Queens. Also, with COVID-19, which leaves many in a precarious scenario, I think most students will be inclined to stay as close to home as possible in order to best deal with any disruptions that the intense second wave of COVID will bring in fall of 2020. 

Wishing you all the best in your medical journey and feel free to reach out for any further input  :) We are living in strange times indeed!

5 hours ago, MCattt said:

hey I have the same offers! I'm originally from Toronto and spent this last year studying at UBC. thought i should DM you instead!

Friend of mine is in the same position and said she’s leaning towards Queens. Can I ask which school you ultimately chose and if she can DM you?

Thanks

So UBC sent this email to relevant stakeholders in case anyone wants to know the disruptions. Pretty major but all necessary precautions based on how vigorously covid-19 will strike back in fall with the current way things are looking (and no one is social distancing- like what!).

My cousin was accepted to IMP but was counting on starting in Vancouver, which would have been great but is no longer the case unfortunately. She said based on all this she rejected ubc yesterday. Good luck peeps!

84035820-CEA9-45BA-ABA6-A406ADE11571.png

10 hours ago, debkachild said:

So UBC sent this email to relevant stakeholders in case anyone wants to know the disruptions. Pretty major but all necessary precautions based on how vigorously covid-19 will strike back in fall with the current way things are looking (and no one is social distancing- like what!).

My cousin was accepted to IMP but was counting on starting in Vancouver, which would have been great but is no longer the case unfortunately. She said based on all this she rejected ubc yesterday. Good luck peeps!

Holy that’s some pretty big changes that indicate what other classes will be like going into orientation. Predominantly online curriculum, virtual labs, restricted class sizes, rural sites not starting from Vancouver and thus not being able to meet other students. Valuable info - thanks for sharing that! 

• 2 weeks later...