Premed 101 Forums

Is ANAESTHESIOLOGY, GENERAL SURGERY AND INTERNAL MEDICINE A RECIPE FOR DISASTER?

Very different. It be easier if you truly accepted the day to day differences between AN and GS and focus on one.

It's not an uncommon for people to think about AN and GS, but eventually they realize they really only want one and really don't want the other. The earlier you decide the easier your life will be.

19 minutes ago, PhD2MD said:

Very different. It be easier if you truly accepted the day to day differences between AN and GS and focus on one.

It's not an uncommon for people to think about AN and GS, but eventually they realize they really only want one and really don't want the other. The earlier you decide the easier your life will be.

To be fair a lot of people switch into anesthesia from surgery :D

Is it actually not possible ro be competitive for all three of these? I do have a high work load tolerance, just don't know if itnis worth it. 

What else could I replace one of them with besides fam medicine. Not too sure about competitiveness of others. I would be cool with emerg med. But that is also very comp i gather?

22 minutes ago, Total Gunner said:

Is it actually not possible ro be competitive for all three of these? I do have a high work load tolerance, just don't know if itnis worth it. 

What else could I replace one of them with besides fam medicine. Not too sure about competitiveness of others. I would be cool with emerg med. But that is also very comp i gather?

I would recommend you start med school before making all these decisions. 

Not sure if you are trolling us with that name and this post, lol.

In all seriousness though, take a minute. Get acclimated to your program. Figure out what you like. While people will tell you it is helpful to decide early (and it is) this is not a decision you have to make before you have even started med school. If you sort it out in your first year, or even two, you are doing great. Lots of people don't discover what they really enjoy most until clerkship, and it still works out fine (unless you want to do ophtho, haha). Also, you don't need to be competitive for three programs. Most people have one thing they are really going for and back up with something else they think they would be happy with as an alternate. 

5 hours ago, Synth1 said:

Not sure if you are trolling us with that name and this post, lol.

In all seriousness though, take a minute. Get acclimated to your program. Figure out what you like. While people will tell you it is helpful to decide early (and it is) this is not a decision you have to make before you have even started med school. If you sort it out in your first year, or even two, you are doing great. Lots of people don't discover what they really enjoy most until clerkship, and it still works out fine (unless you want to do ophtho, haha). Also, you don't need to be competitive for three programs. Most people have one thing they are really going for and back up with something else they think they would be happy with as an alternate. 

LMFAAAOOOO, NAH MA GUY definitely not trolling <3

JUST SOOOO FRKIN EAGER TO GET STARTEDDDDDDD.

You need to chill. This is how you get people in medical school (including other students and residents/staff) to not like you. It is important to have some sense of direction, but trying to plan 1 specialty, let alone 3 before even starting medical school is futile. Most students who enter med school thinking they know what they want to do end up switching (myself included). Based on the 3 (4) specialties you have listed, I gather you have absolutely no experience or idea what they actually involve on a day-to-day basis.

To answer your original question, it is possible to "gun" for those 3 specialities, but your likelihood of success and happiness in each will not be high. As others have suggested, take the first year or 2 to get acclimated and explore ALL specialties. You never know what you will like until you get experience doing the bread and butter (read: clerkship) for weeks at a time. The fact you haven't even entered medical school yet makes me wonder why I'm even spending my time answering this post... Breathe or its gonna be a shitty 4 years for you..