Premed 101 Forums

Will this year be entirely online?

Just wondering if anyone has any intel on whether first year or even the first term will be online for incoming medical students?  A few Ontario Universities have already declared that the fall term ( and some have even stated the full year) will be entirely online due to COVID-19. I have a feeling other Ontario schools will follow.  If that's the case, this will impact the decision of out-of-towners to move and look for housing in Kingston.  If it will be entirely online there will be no reason to rush the move in time for the fall.  Any thoughts? It wouldn't be ideal but at least it would be much more doable and much less disruptive in first year than during clerkships.    I heard some medical schools have already been talking about this but I haven't heard anything about Queen's. 

Most faculties at Queen's will likely be online for the fall semester. However, the Faculty of Health Sciences has been lobbying for the university to make an exception for medicine, nursing, and rehabilitation programs. The university has recently come out and said that these programs will have "priority" for on-campus delivery in the fall if at all possible. So the administration seems optimistic that all meds classes will be able to have on-campus curriculum delivery in the fall. Nothing is confirmed yet, but I'd say that at this point you should still plan on finding housing in Kingston for a late-August on-campus start, as planned.

5 minutes ago, unarmed walrus said:

Most faculties at Queen's will likely be online for the fall semester. However, the Faculty of Health Sciences has been lobbying for the university to make an exception for medicine, nursing, and rehabilitation programs. The university has recently come out and said that these programs will have "priority" for on-campus delivery in the fall if at all possible. So the administration seems optimistic that all meds classes will be able to have on-campus curriculum delivery in the fall. Nothing is confirmed yet, but I'd say that at this point you should still plan on finding housing in Kingston for a late-August on-campus start, as planned.

Super helpful, thank you! 

1 hour ago, HighAltitudeMedicine said:

Just wondering if anyone has any intel on whether first year or even the first term will be online for incoming medical students?  A few Ontario Universities have already declared that the fall term ( and some have even stated the full year) will be entirely online due to COVID-19. I have a feeling other Ontario schools will follow.  If that's the case, this will impact the decision of out-of-towners to move and look for housing in Kingston.  If it will be entirely online there will be no reason to rush the move in time for the fall.  Any thoughts? It wouldn't be ideal but at least it would be much more doable and much less disruptive in first year than during clerkships.    I heard some medical schools have already been talking about this but I haven't heard anything about Queen's. 

Which Ontario universities have stated the fall term will be online for medicine? 

39 minutes ago, RiderSx said:

Which Ontario universities have stated the fall term will be online for medicine? 

As far as I know none have specified that med will be online but schools like u Ottawa and Carleton have announced that the fall will likely be online. Not sure what this means for faculties of medicine.  Perhaps they will make an exception just for them as Queen's seems to be contemplating, but who knows.  

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/carleton-uottawa-unveil-plans-for-online-learning-for-fall-semester/

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/covid-universities-online-1.5565810