Premed 101 Forums

Does the school matter?

Keekz

Having completed a masters, I would honestly say the school nor the program matters. Coming from undergrad, it often seems that it does - I too, was caught up in that mind set. But now having finished - what does matter is your lab, and most importantly, your supervisor. They are ultimately going to be what determine your overall experience as well as your productivity (can you publish, will you be able to go to conferences, etc) for your degree. I've heard far too many horror stories about students getting trapped with bad supervisors. 

So I would try and see what kind of research topics interest you and if there are supervisors in that particular program that are accepting students for related projects. In an ideal world, for your first meeting with the supervisor,  you could go in and see the lab and perhaps even speak to some of the students on the supervision style of the professor, and how their experience has been. But I know that is obviously not possible at the moment. But just see what interests you for now!