Premed 101 Forums

med schools that value research more than others?

Hi everybody, 

I was just wondering if there's any "insider knowledge" on schools that value research heavy ECs more than others (aside from their formal policies on their websites)

A little background: I am from Ontario (non-SWOMEN). I have (what I believe to be) a mediocre undergrad GPA, especially cGPA due to a low 1st and 2nd yr (cGPA = 3.85, best/most recent 2 years = 3.95, wGPA for UofT = 3.9, UBC = 89%, Ottawa = 3.92). So although these obviously aren't terrible, they definitely aren't 4.0s. I have yet to the write the MCAT (which I know will obviously dictate where I can apply to). I do have a science based background and I like to think my critical thinking skills are decent so I'm not predicting that this will be a barrier to my application, but it is obviously a very weird test and anything can happen.

I'm just finishing up my first year of MSc and have 1 co-first author publication, major scholarship (CGS-M), declined QEII from OGS, with at least one more pub in the works (co-authorship, probably 2nd or 3rd), a couple of presentations at conferences, one oral presentation award, on a conference organization committee, will TA both years. Because of my research and TA work, I would be able to get two solid reference letters from my research supervisor and prof for whom I TAed. (I should also mention that I started my MSc thinking that med school was off the table for me, I chose to do it because I wanted to do it. I think that would come through in my reference letters, supplementals, and interviews).

The weakest part of my application by far is the non-research based ECs, which is why I'd be worried about a school like Queens or Western (which my GPA would be best suited for). I did a lot in high school and the first year of university, but everything kind of dropped off from there (due to some personal issues). I know that this would be relatively easy to fix by starting to get more involved now and or/taking a gap year to boost the ECs and then reapply.

So I guess my questions are:

- are there any schools that value research ECs more than others? I believe my research is what sets me apart from other applicants (my GPA obviously doesn't), but seeing on the forums about all the volunteering and "saving the world" other people do to get accepted scares me as I don't even come close to comparing to that

- depending on my MCAT of course, do you think it would be worth it to apply with the research based ECs I have now or should I take a gap year before applying?

Thank you in advance for your help! It is very much appreciated. 

Anecdotally, some schools have a reputation for being more research interested than others, but having research experience will generally help everywhere (except for those that don't look at ECs at all like mac). You have a strong research background however I think you are a) over-estimating how significant research ECs are for medical school admissions and b) under-estimating how many other applicants also have strong research backgrounds. Applicants with masters degrees and/or multiple first-author publications, while not the majority, are not uncommon. That being said, your GPA is definitely in the acceptance range so with a solid MCAT I would still apply, and perhaps do some volunteering if possible once covid settles down, and if you don't get accepted then broaden your ECs while re-applying.

22 minutes ago, bearded frog said:

Anecdotally, some schools have a reputation for being more research interested than others, but having research experience will generally help everywhere (except for those that don't look at ECs at all like mac). You have a strong research background however I think you are a) over-estimating how significant research ECs are for medical school admissions and b) under-estimating how many other applicants also have strong research backgrounds. Applicants with masters degrees and/or multiple first-author publications, while not the majority, are not uncommon. That being said, your GPA is definitely in the acceptance range so with a solid MCAT I would still apply, and perhaps do some volunteering if possible once covid settles down, and if you don't get accepted then broaden your ECs while re-applying.

Thanks so much for your insight! I’ve been lurking these forums for a while and I know that there are many applicants who have similar or better research experience than I do, I was just thinking that research is clearly the strongest part of my application since my GPA and other ECs aren’t particularly stellar and I was wondering if there are any particular schools that would be more suited towards. I didn’t mean to come off over confident at all, I know it’ll be a tough road.  Thanks again!

• 7 months later...
On 5/22/2020 at 10:22 PM, cse27 said:

Hi everybody, 

I was just wondering if there's any "insider knowledge" on schools that value research heavy ECs more than others (aside from their formal policies on their websites)

A little background: I am from Ontario (non-SWOMEN). I have (what I believe to be) a mediocre undergrad GPA, especially cGPA due to a low 1st and 2nd yr (cGPA = 3.85, best/most recent 2 years = 3.95, wGPA for UofT = 3.9, UBC = 89%, Ottawa = 3.92). So although these obviously aren't terrible, they definitely aren't 4.0s. I have yet to the write the MCAT (which I know will obviously dictate where I can apply to). I do have a science based background and I like to think my critical thinking skills are decent so I'm not predicting that this will be a barrier to my application, but it is obviously a very weird test and anything can happen.

I'm just finishing up my first year of MSc and have 1 co-first author publication, major scholarship (CGS-M), declined QEII from OGS, with at least one more pub in the works (co-authorship, probably 2nd or 3rd), a couple of presentations at conferences, one oral presentation award, on a conference organization committee, will TA both years. Because of my research and TA work, I would be able to get two solid reference letters from my research supervisor and prof for whom I TAed. (I should also mention that I started my MSc thinking that med school was off the table for me, I chose to do it because I wanted to do it. I think that would come through in my reference letters, supplementals, and interviews).

The weakest part of my application by far is the non-research based ECs, which is why I'd be worried about a school like Queens or Western (which my GPA would be best suited for). I did a lot in high school and the first year of university, but everything kind of dropped off from there (due to some personal issues). I know that this would be relatively easy to fix by starting to get more involved now and or/taking a gap year to boost the ECs and then reapply.

So I guess my questions are:

- are there any schools that value research ECs more than others? I believe my research is what sets me apart from other applicants (my GPA obviously doesn't), but seeing on the forums about all the volunteering and "saving the world" other people do to get accepted scares me as I don't even come close to comparing to that

- depending on my MCAT of course, do you think it would be worth it to apply with the research based ECs I have now or should I take a gap year before applying?

Thank you in advance for your help! It is very much appreciated. 

if your are from BC and you have a good MCAT score then you have a solid chance for UBC IMO.