Premed 101 Forums

1 minute ago, CHG said:

Hey! In the past (pre-covid schedule) we have had mandatory sessions 3-4 days of the week most weeks (Tuesday is off) so that would be a lot of commuting. It may be possible during first semester of this year as in person mandatory sessions will be scaled back. You’ll also want to consider the fact that your ‘extras’ (longitudinal clinical experiences, service learning) will likely be located in Windsor as well. You may be able to do observerships in London but admin has made it clear to me that there will be no crossing campuses for mandatory class sessions (something other students were wondering about) so it would be wise to check in with them on cross campus observerships instead of just taking my word for it! 

in third year during clerkship you will be located at the Windsor hospitals - I haven’t experienced clerkship yet but from what I know it would be near impossible to commute for that. 

overall my personal opinion is that it would be wise to have a housing situation in Windsor starting in January at the very least. A good number of my classmates go home for weekends quite regularly (even to the GTA) - the drive to London is pretty short so you could probably count on being back in London most Friday afternoons to Sunday evenings/Monday mornings if that eases any of your anxieties! It would even be pretty easy to jump in on a car pool if you don’t have transportation :)

I've heard transfers for clerskships are possible. Is that relatively common?

1 minute ago, dooogs said:

I’ve heard of it happening once under an exceptional circumstance and that was a transfer from London to Windsor - keep in mind I’ve only been here for a year so that may not be the full picture though! I’d encourage you to look a little further into the merits of doing clerkship at London vs Windsor bc there are definitely benefits both ways.

this is something that LEW may be able to give you more insight into as I’m pretty sure they usually handle these cases. I think we put their contact info on the fb group but if you can’t find it just private message me on here! 

7 minutes ago, dooogs said:

I'm not too sure about pre-clerkship but from what I know it is impossible during clerkship since you will be assigned a hospital in Windsor. My advice would be to make arrangements in Windsor. In the off-chance that you are able to "switch over" (unlikely to happen), you will be grateful rather than being let-down if you aren't able to (very likely).

3 minutes ago, Malulu123 said:

I'm not too sure about pre-clerkship but from what I know it is impossible during clerkship since you will be assigned a hospital in Windsor. My advice would be to make arrangements in Windsor. In the off-chance that you are able to "switch over" (unlikely to happen), you will be grateful rather than being let-down if you aren't able to (very likely).

I think that's a good way to think. I was basically sure unspecified meant london and got very excited. It was a huge hit to not get it. I'm ok with it now but it will still be very hard because of family reasons.

A dark shadow over getting in. I hope I can really get over it by september. Just trying to look up stuff for windsor but even the schools website is 90% geared for london

1 minute ago, dooogs said:

I think that's a good way to think. I was basically sure unspecified meant london and got very excited. It was a huge hit to not get it. I'm ok with it now but it will still be very hard because of family reasons.

A dark shadow over getting in. I hope I can really get over it by september. Just trying to look up stuff for windsor but even the schools website is 90% geared for london

I grew up in Windsor and now I’m at Windsor campus so if you have any questions you think I may be able to help out with please don’t hesitate to reach out. Anything I can’t answer I’ll be able to direct you to the appropriate Windsor faculty!!

I think what you’re feeling is pretty common to some extent for those who didn’t think they were going to be in Windsor (even I was feeling a bit of it at this time last year)! The Windsor 2023s are going to do everything they can to make this transition as easy as possible so don’t be afraid to let us know what we can do! 

we are very excited to have you :) 

Just now, CHG said:

I grew up in Windsor and now I’m at Windsor campus so if you have any questions you think I may be able to help out with please don’t hesitate to reach out. Anything I can’t answer I’ll be able to direct you to the appropriate Windsor faculty!!

I think what you’re feeling is pretty common to some extent for those who didn’t think they were going to be in Windsor (even I was feeling a bit of it at this time last year)! The Windsor 2023s are going to do everything they can to make this transition as easy as possible so don’t be afraid to let us know what we can do! 

we are very excited to have you :) 

I know you guys are extremely awesome and that's a huge relief and I'm very grateful. My family situation is difficult rn and it would make my life much easier to be in London. I'll have to find a way to make it work... still hoping some people bail in July or something