Premed 101 Forums

Timeline of Site Switches

Does anyone know when offers to switch sites usually occurs? Is it at the same time as the first waitlist offers come out or does the shuffling occur before? I'm assuming people that are already accepted will get preference to switch sites before acceptances go out for waitlisted applicants. 

Thanks in advance!

Not sure on the timing but people higher up on the admissions list would get priority before those below on the waitlist. That being said I know of a few people who got in off the waitlist to their 2nd or 3rd choice site and got moved up to their 1st/2nd so there's a lot of movement!

From what I have read it depends on which spots become available and how people have ranked their site preferences. UBC says accepting a less preferred site does not affect your position on the waitlist for a more preferred site. So it would just depend how many spots become available at your more preferred site, and how many people are ahead of you waiting for them.

2 minutes ago, aldywood said:

From what I have read it depends on which spots become available and how people have ranked their site preferences. UBC says accepting a less preferred site does not affect your position on the waitlist for a more preferred site. So it would just depend how many spots become available at your more preferred site, and how many people are ahead of you waiting for them.

Thanks for the reply! I guess theoretically if someone from the waitlist gets into vfmp for example, it should mean that there was no one else that was already offered admission that had vfmp as a more preferred site than what they already had 

3 hours ago, runningman12 said:

Thanks for the reply! I guess theoretically if someone from the waitlist gets into vfmp for example, it should mean that there was no one else that was already offered admission that had vfmp as a more preferred site than what they already had 

I think so, unless someone initially  received an offer for a rural seat (But ranked vfmp higher), and happened to be further down on the vfmp wait list than some people who didn’t apply rurally and haven’t received an offer yet. I think that is why UBC says the wait lists are complicated.

31 minutes ago, aldywood said:

I think so, unless someone initially  received an offer for a rural seat (But ranked vfmp higher), and happened to be further down on the vfmp wait list than some people who didn’t apply rurally and haven’t received an offer yet. I think that is why UBC says the wait lists are complicated.

Hmm I interpreted that as if you received a second choice site such as vfmp but you had nmp as your first choice but didn't complete the rural section then you wouldn't be placed on the waitlist because you wouldn't be eligible (although I don't see why someone would do that). I may have misunderstood though. 

It seems unlikely to me even if you got a rural seat to be behind someone on the waitlist who hasn't received an offer yet for a nonrural seat. From what I hear there's usually plenty of applicants filling out the rural section and that want nmp to fill up nmp in the 288 applicant pool without choosing the 289th applicant etc. But I could be wrong  !

46 minutes ago, Boxob said:

I didnt hear anything today either. I am in the same boat as you (super grateful to be accepted to UBC, but hoping to be switched my 1st choice site). IP.

Agreed. At the end of the day I'll go wherever , but life would be a lot easier if I got a top choice. Hopefully we will hear by the next wave of waitlists

Has anyone heard ANYTHING regarding site switches since initial offers went out? I’m wondering if UBC hasn’t started giving out waitlist/site switch offers for VFMP yet due to covid (since it’s a bigger site) and they are trying to troubleshoot that issue? Since it’s different this year than other years by starting at your respective site, I feel like Ubc maybe has a last possible date to likely receive a site switch?

56 minutes ago, yeet9876 said:

Has anyone heard ANYTHING regarding site switches since initial offers went out? I’m wondering if UBC hasn’t started giving out waitlist/site switch offers for VFMP yet due to covid (since it’s a bigger site) and they are trying to troubleshoot that issue? Since it’s different this year than other years by starting at your respective site, I feel like Ubc maybe has a last possible date to likely receive a site switch?

I doubt it has anything to do with COVID specifically - a small number of students switching sites won’t effect the planning for how to accommodate students at VFMP given the COVID restrictions. If anything, given that student now go directly to their sites and will need to start looking for housing in August, I would think they’d be trying to get people notified sooner not later.