Premed 101 Forums

LBGTQ2S+ BIPOC - UBC Application Help

If you self-identify as a BIPOC and LGBTQ2S+ and want some help with your UBC Med application for the 2020-2021 cycle, PLEASE PM me! I’m a medical student and want to help folks who may be using this forum and aren’t able to access other resources. I am willing to offer help *for free*. I can help with your NAQ and/or answer any questions you may have about your application. 

If you aren’t a BIPOC, but self-identify as trans* or non-binary/gender-diverse, please reach out as well!!

The reason why I’m doing this is that LGBTQ2S+ BIPOC are not represented in medicine and face intersectional barriers  that their peers don’t. This is my way to help others who may not have the resources for application support. There were only 7 trans/non-binary applicants out of 2398 in the 2018/2019 cycle, and only 1 was accepted/matriculated to UBC in the 2023 and 2021 years. 

All communication can be through confidential and private means (if you’d like). 

On 5/27/2020 at 9:56 PM, honeymoon said:

this is a great idea! i'm an incoming first year at VFMP who identifies as an LGBTQ2S+ PoC. would love to help out any similar folk out there with applications for UBC or Ontario!! feel free to DM :)

Oh hey see you this Fall ;) I also identify as LGBTQ+ and PoC

For those who are starting MD2024, there’s an LGBTQ2S+ Mentorship Group (student-run with invited Physician mentors) that you’ll be able to join. It is a confidential space for participants and you’re able to connect with other queer folk in medicine.

(You should get the details in August)

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone :) 

I'm a QTPOC applying to UBC med school and doing the OMSAS application this cycle. I would love to get advice from different people about my application. I would prefer to be able to do this via some sort of private messaging (I'm new to premed 101 so I'm not sure how this works on the forum) as well as get some sort of evidence from people who are willing to help that you have been accepted into UBC med school or is a current student before discussing details about my application.

I was the only QTPOC in my class when getting my health sciences diploma so for anyone who might feel lonely at times, I totally get it ♥

On 8/5/2020 at 1:30 AM, Haku_ said:

Hello everyone :) 

I'm a QTPOC applying to UBC med school and doing the OMSAS application this cycle. I would love to get advice from different people about my application. I would prefer to be able to do this via some sort of private messaging (I'm new to premed 101 so I'm not sure how this works on the forum) as well as get some sort of evidence from people who are willing to help that you have been accepted into UBC med school or is a current student before discussing details about my application.

I was the only QTPOC in my class when getting my health sciences diploma so for anyone who might feel lonely at times, I totally get it ♥

hi there! feel free to DM :) just click on my profile and select 'message'