Premed 101 Forums

Have accepted applicants heard anything from UBC?

11 hours ago, Potentiate said:

A confirmation, student numbers, an email outlining registration, etc. 

From my understanding, our confirmation is just the 'offer accepted' notice on the bottom of the application status page. Student number should come out early June (via OAS and email notification). Lastly, registration isn't until July (as outlined in the Welcome Letter). 

I remember this part taking forever - the administrative stuff will take time, and some of it comes out via many emails over June and July and August! Possibly longer this year, because of COVID and adjustments. They’re also desperately trying to get things ready for 4th year clerks to go back in July, and there’s overlap in some staff who help with more than one year of the program. 

Once you’re enrolled in classes you’ll be able to print out a proof of enrolment letter - that’s the ‘confirmation letter’ many banks want for the LOC. That usually happens in July, same time as when many of the banks will have updated their LOC offers.

3 hours ago, acceptmeplease said:

Anyone with a CWL already can check entrada for updates about our cohort and general information about medical school in 2020.

I have not received any emails, though.

do you have CWL already because you did undergrad at UBC? 

I just found my old CWL from when I applied to UBC for undergrad in 2016, but this CWL didn't work (unsurprising lol)

3 hours ago, cam_the_cob said:

do you have CWL already because you did undergrad at UBC? 

I just found my old CWL from when I applied to UBC for undergrad in 2016, but this CWL didn't work (unsurprising lol)

I'm a current UBC student and my CWL doesn't allow me to log in to Entrada either!

14 hours ago, acceptmeplease said:

Anyone with a CWL already can check entrada for updates about our cohort and general information about medical school in 2020.

I have not received any emails, though.

I am also  able to login to Entrada, but it might just be because I’ma UBC faculty of medicine staff right now

Did you find the link to the welcome letter in your offer tab? It is six pages and covers:

1. Immunizations
2. CPR/AED (BLS Level) Certification
3. UBC Student Numbers & Student IDs
4. Campus–Wide Login (CWL)
5. UBC Alumni Email Account
6. Personal Information Form
7. Course Registration
8. Weeks 1 & 2 - MEDD 411
9. Online Curriculum Management System
10. Student Loans
11. Campus Housing

There is also a link to a Faculty of Medicine incoming students FAQ doc with lots more details.

On 5/30/2020 at 11:32 PM, HongHongHong said:

I am also  able to login to Entrada, but it might just be because I’ma UBC faculty of medicine staff right now

Oh that could explain it. I am also faculty of medicine staff.

Looks like the second year class will be planning some open air events for us (in line with provincial health guidelines)! I can't wait to meet everyone!

3 hours ago, initrams said:

Will we still get backpack day do we think?? Also, we don't have to sign up for the College of Physicians and Surgeons licensure yet right? They send us an email to do so? 

I'm not sure about backpack day (perhaps a socially distant version?). as for our educational licenses, all that been expected of us as of right now is that we have submitted an email (via the OAS) for CPSBC to contact us in june/july about license applications. I hope this helps! I remember putting my email in for the CPSBC, i believe it was in the offer acceptance online form thing, but i'm not 100% sure

35 minutes ago, dr_beethoven said:

Has anyone been able to access to the orientation checklist yet? It says it will be sent in early June -- does anyone know if it will be available on the oasportal or is this something we get access to once we are assigned student numbers/CWL and can login to Entrada?

i haven't been able to access it yet. I didn't do my undergrad at UBC, and hence don't have a CWL, so i have just been checking the OAS portal and my email, but i havent received or found anything yet

I was signing into one of UBC's third-party tools (as a UBC employee), where I was just prompted to "share my CWL information" with the tool... this is something I've done before, and I believe it might renew yearly, but now my affiliation at UBC now includes student!!! (and I have not been a UBC student for the past year)

image.thumb.png.ed605a2ba246873b4927ac77cebfb01e.png

1 hour ago, HongHongHong said:

I was signing into one of UBC's third-party tools (as a UBC employee), where I was just prompted to "share my CWL information" with the tool... this is something I've done before, and I believe it might renew yearly, but now my affiliation at UBC now includes student!!! (and I have not been a UBC student for the past year)

image.thumb.png.ed605a2ba246873b4927ac77cebfb01e.png

do you have any updates on your OAS portal (re: it stating a CWL or student number)? 

Just now, HongHongHong said:

@acceptmeplease I'm wondering about that as well... I heard new LOC deals come out in July(?) and RBC isn't doing a free $300 thing but scotiabank is, I'm wondering if it's worth waiting to see what the banks come out with.

I've been taking advantage of the research done by our predecessors and peers on the LOC forum thread. I am going to go with Scotiabank, and have been in contact with an extremely helpful representative from my local branch. I've been wanting to switch banks for a long time so I will be able to open new chequing/savings accounts with Scoita at the time of getting approved for my LOC. I wanted to get the process rolling early because I don't know what my eligibility will be for any grants, bursaries, or student loans... And I cannot afford the tuition with what is currently in my bank account!