Premed 101 Forums

Is Queens Health Sci any good?

I’ve been looking for different programs for my undergrad and came across Queens health sci.  I haven’t heard anything about it and there is no info about how students like it or what percent get into med school.  Does anyone know if it is any good for a premed undergrad?

8 hours ago, returnofthecmac said:

@hbmed Did you take the online life sciences degree? 

Do you mean health science? I didn't- I took the in person life science, however I was a lifesci program rep at open houses and was expected to know a little bit about healthsci because we would get a lot of questions about as they are similar programs that people often choose between. Some of our core courses overlap, and a lot of life sci's and healthsci's take the same electives (I took a few "healthsci" courses during my degree). I've also interacted with several students in the online healthsci as a result! I don't know the answers to all the questions, but I have a pretty good idea of the program!

Very interesting. One thing I'm curious about is that the website does call it a degree in "Life Sciences", versus health sciences. Seems like it was previously marketed as a Health sciences degree based on older media I've seen. Also, a lot of the course codes have been renamed. This degree is very science heavy. Is it possible that its changed since you were representing it?

10 minutes ago, returnofthecmac said:

Very interesting. One thing I'm curious about is that the website does call it a degree in "Life Sciences", versus health sciences. Seems like it was previously marketed as a Health sciences degree based on older media I've seen. Also, a lot of the course codes have been renamed. This degree is very science heavy. Is it possible that its changed since you were representing it?

Can you link me the site you mean? I JUST graduated and haven't heard of an online Life Sciences program even being in the works at Queen's

EDIT: okay I found the site and I'll take a look

So the online Life Sciences BSc is a different program than the online Health Sciences BHSc. Honestly, I had never heard of the online Life Sciences one in my years there, but it doesn't look to be new. A major difference between them is that the online Life Sciences BSc is a 3 year program, while the BHSc is a 4 year degree. You'd be limited to medical schools that accept a 3 year degree by taking online Life Sciences, which is potentially a risk. A 4 year degree also offers more of a buffer on GPA and is more commonly required for other grad/professional programs. I really don't know too much about how well some of the pure lifesci courses would translate online and the grading/difficulty- I've genuinely never heard of some of them/on campus students aren't allowed to take them. There are a few courses which overlap between the online health sci and life sci, much like taking life sci in person, so some potentially easier courses there. I imagine some of the core life sci courses like chemistry may be very time consuming to do well in, and may not balance well with other commitments, like running a business. I'm having a hard time seeing the online Life Science as a "worth it" program. It seems like the BHSc would be easier to do well in, open more doors, and be more worthwhile in the long run.

34 minutes ago, hbmed said:

So the online Life Sciences BSc is a different program than the online Health Sciences BHSc. Honestly, I had never heard of the online Life Sciences one in my years there, but it doesn't look to be new. A major difference between them is that the online Life Sciences BSc is a 3 year program, while the BHSc is a 4 year degree. You'd be limited to medical schools that accept a 3 year degree by taking online Life Sciences, which is potentially a risk. A 4 year degree also offers more of a buffer on GPA and is more commonly required for other grad/professional programs. I really don't know too much about how well some of the pure lifesci courses would translate online and the grading/difficulty- I've genuinely never heard of some of them/on campus students aren't allowed to take them. There are a few courses which overlap between the online health sci and life sci, much like taking life sci in person, so some potentially easier courses there. I imagine some of the core life sci courses like chemistry may be very time consuming to do well in, and may not balance well with other commitments, like running a business. I'm having a hard time seeing the online Life Science as a "worth it" program. It seems like the BHSc would be easier to do well in, open more doors, and be more worthwhile in the long run.

Okay, so they are separate! Good to know. I'll look into the online BHSc. Is it possible to be living in Toronto during the BHSc degree as its fully online?

7 minutes ago, returnofthecmac said:

Okay, so they are separate! Good to know. I'll look into the online BHSc. Is it possible to be living in Toronto during the BHSc degree as its fully online?

Yep- you can live wherever! As long as you're in the online one (there is a new on-campus version), I'm almost 100% positive you have no need to ever step foot on campus! Their website is also quite good and their team sounds pretty responsive for answering questions!