Premed 101 Forums

Competitiveness of CV for Med-P?

Hey guys, I was just wondering for those who got interviews at McGill: how competitive does ones CV have to be? I just finished my first year of Cegep and will be applying next cycle to Mcgill + Francophone schools. Academically R score in 38-39 range at the moment, but a lot will depend on next semester (over 50% of it because second semester won’t count due to COVID-19). My biggest worry is that my CV won’t be competitive. Unfortunately, I was planning on working and volunteering this summer but everything has been cancelled since COVID-19. Will the fact that most of my commitments ended in 2019 affect my application?

My most recent experience would be an award in 2019 and a job during summer 2019, all I would have since then are things in the hobbies section/education sections. Additionally, for the verifiers, does anyone know how that process works? Also how many items should one have to be competitive?

thanks a lot!

8 minutes ago, Thatonestudent said:

Hey guys, I was just wondering for those who got interviews at McGill: how competitive does ones CV have to be? I just finished my first year of Cegep and will be applying next cycle to Mcgill + Francophone schools. Academically R score in 38-39 range at the moment, but a lot will depend on next semester (over 50% of it because second semester won’t count due to COVID-19). My biggest worry is that my CV won’t be competitive. Unfortunately, I was planning on working and volunteering this summer but everything has been cancelled since COVID-19. Will the fact that most of my commitments ended in 2019 affect my application?

My most recent experience would be an award in 2019 and a job during summer 2019, all I would have since then are things in the hobbies section/education sections. Additionally, for the verifiers, does anyone know how that process works? Also how many items should one have to be competitive?

thanks a lot!

Hey! I was shortlisted at McGil this year (unfortunately interviews were cancelled this year as you probably know) and later got accepted in Med-P :)

Personally, my CV wasn't competitve at all (I originally didn't consider applying to McGill so my CV didn't seem that important to me). I didn't have any volunteering experience (I've done volunteering but it wasn't a weekly thing so I didn't put it on my CV) and didn't have any work experience and I still got shortlisted (my R score was around 37,7 by the way) so honestly you don't need to worry about it! I know some people who worked on their CV for weeks and I literally did mine in 1-2 hours so you don't need to think about it too much. Also, most people are in a similar position because of COVID-19 (work/volunteering is cancelled) so it's not like you are behind everyone else.

The most important thing about the resume is to show how you incarnate the non-academic qualities McGill is looking for. So it's more about quality than quantity. You could have only 2-3 experiences and still show them that you have all the qualities and you would be fine. Also, you'll compete with people in the same category as you (so only cegep graduates around your age) and you will be ranked compared to them only. So focus more on the description and you should be fine. ^^