Premed 101 Forums

Do you tell your premed friends everything you do?

Hey everyone! Lately I've been really conflicted because I've been going and looking for cool opportunities that interest me and I've gotten some of them, and I just go on with my life. And I don't really tell my friends what I do. But I feel like that makes me a jerk? I want to tell them some cool experiences I have but I feel like I can't because they'll be mad at why i didnt tell them. And idk I feel like a complete jerk for not telling them what I do because they're really sweet and I love them.

Told each other everything we did, in fact it is how I found some really cool opportunities myself :) I can understand how you may be tempted to not share as you maybe think it gives you an edge, but realistically you're only depriving yourself of valuable friendships and a good network of support. I feel like that could be a lonely road to travel down in the future. Plus, collaboration > solitude at almost all times during your future medical career :) 

Alternate opinion: Unless they are your close friends, why would you feel the need to go out of your way to tell them what you are doing?  

Sounds like you are apprehensive because you feel they will criticize you for somehow not sharing it with them - those don't sound like friends I would want to have.  

If these are friends outside of a school context, then that is a diff story.

22 minutes ago, JohnGrisham said:

Alternate opinion: Unless they are your close friends, why would you feel the need to go out of your way to tell them what you are doing?  

Sounds like you are apprehensive because you feel they will criticize you for somehow not sharing it with them - those don't sound like friends I would want to have.  

If these are friends outside of a school context, then that is a diff story.

I agree, personally I don't really go around telling all my friends what I do as ECs? And neither do my friends. We're very good friends but it's just not something we do. If someone actively asks, we would all be happy to share with each other what we know, but in general, we prefer to just do our own things. This is very cliche, but everyone should be doing stuff that truly interests them anyway instead of copying off each other

I didn't really have premed friends in Uni but I made a couple during my application cycle and was pretty transparent, but of course everybody's different. Keeping to yourself is fine, but don't expect others to be very forthcoming to you when they find resources and links to good things for MCAT, interview prep, courses, volunteering opportunities, etc. In my opinion, it's good to be as giving and team-spirited with school stuff. Keeps the good karma flowing :)