Premed 101 Forums

MCAT Study Advise for Non-Science Majors?

RNtoMD98

Hello! I'm nearing the end of my Bachelor of Science in Nursing, and I want to write the MCAT next summer. Since I'm getting a nursing degree and Canadian med schools don't have prereq courses, I never took the traditional university level bio/chem/orgo/physics courses to prepare for the MCAT. Does anyone have advise for MCAT studying with a non traditional science background?  Recommended study schedule? Prep courses? Books?

I already have a lot of medical knowledge but that's not going to help me on the MCAT :(

Thanks in advance for any advise you have! Much appreciated. 

18 minutes ago, RNtoMD98 said:

Since I'm getting a nursing degree and Canadian med schools don't have prereq courses, I never took the traditional university level bio/chem/orgo/physics courses to prepare for the MCAT.

Many Canadian medical schools have prerequities. For example UOttawa requires Biology/Physiology, Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry, and Statistics (https://med.uottawa.ca/undergraduate/admissions/application-process/eligibility-requirements). UofT requires courses in life sciences and humanities (https://applymd.utoronto.ca/academic-requirements). McGill needs courses in chemistry, physics, biology, and organic chem (https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/requirements/requirements-edu/basic-science-prerequisites). You may not be eligible for many schools if you didn't take those life science prerequisites.

42 minutes ago, zxcccxz said:

Many Canadian medical schools have prerequities. For example UOttawa requires Biology/Physiology, Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry, and Statistics (https://med.uottawa.ca/undergraduate/admissions/application-process/eligibility-requirements). UofT requires courses in life sciences and humanities (https://applymd.utoronto.ca/academic-requirements). McGill needs courses in chemistry, physics, biology, and organic chem (https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/requirements/requirements-edu/basic-science-prerequisites). You may not be eligible for many schools if you didn't take those life science prerequisites.

I think besides UBC (2 English courses) you've listed the only schools that require prereqs... I think it's a bit of an overstatement to say they would be ineligible for "many" schools.

To answer your question RNtoMD98, one place that can help you with a lot of these questions would be the FAQ of the MCAT subforum on re ddit. It lists all sorts of study schedules, prep book reviews, what free and paid resources exist, etc... I think it will give you a good starting point to personalize your own study plan. 

My general advice would be to plan to begin studying 3-4 months before your exam date, to pick 1 main prep book set, and to supplement with additional material. The AAMC sells practice tests that will be the closest to the real thing, and many people advise to purchase those. Most people won't recommend prep courses, as they tend to be costly and may not suit your style. I believe Khan Academy is partnered with the AAMC for their MCAT prep series, so if you need structured lectures that would be a good (and free!) place to go. 

Although you didn't take the traditional "MCAT courses", it doesn't mean you will be completely in new territory! Some of the physics and general chemistry may be familiar from high school, and as a nursing student you probably have some background in biology and physiology that will come in handy! The psych/sociology sections is considered pure memorization of terms/concepts by most, so it shouldn't be too difficult. In general, for Canadian schools, you'll want to focus on CARS, but there is no tried and true method to do well on CARS. It's very dependent on each individual. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2020 at 5:32 PM, pnpclear said:

I think besides UBC (2 English courses) you've listed the only schools that require prereqs... I think it's a bit of an overstatement to say they would be ineligible for "many" schools.

To answer your question RNtoMD98, one place that can help you with a lot of these questions would be the FAQ of the MCAT subforum on re ddit. It lists all sorts of study schedules, prep book reviews, what free and paid resources exist, etc... I think it will give you a good starting point to personalize your own study plan. 

My general advice would be to plan to begin studying 3-4 months before your exam date, to pick 1 main prep book set, and to supplement with additional material. The AAMC sells practice tests that will be the closest to the real thing, and many people advise to purchase those. Most people won't recommend prep courses, as they tend to be costly and may not suit your style. I believe Khan Academy is partnered with the AAMC for their MCAT prep series, so if you need structured lectures that would be a good (and free!) place to go. 

Although you didn't take the traditional "MCAT courses", it doesn't mean you will be completely in new territory! Some of the physics and general chemistry may be familiar from high school, and as a nursing student you probably have some background in biology and physiology that will come in handy! The psych/sociology sections is considered pure memorization of terms/concepts by most, so it shouldn't be too difficult. In general, for Canadian schools, you'll want to focus on CARS, but there is no tried and true method to do well on CARS. It's very dependent on each individual. 

pnpclear, thanks so much for your response! This is immensely helpful!